A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

A303 should be much more fun.

Nice place for a break and a coffee, just a minute or so off the A303 near Ilminster. Signed with a 'brown touristy sign' at the roundabout. Highly recommended - http://www.themonksyard.co.uk/my_eating_place.php

By me telling you this and your reading of this, you all agree without reservation to give you your seats in the event that CTMK and I turn up, also looking to sit down.

• RMweb Premium

Nice place for a break and a coffee, just a minute or so off the A303 near Ilminster. Signed with a 'brown touristy sign' at the roundabout. Highly recommended - http://www.themonksyard.co.uk/my_eating_place.php

By me telling you this and your reading of this, you all agree without reservation to give you your seats in the event that CTMK and I turn up, also looking to sit down.

I suppose that's fair enough if we haven't got a reservation...

• RMweb Gold

"Do you have reservations, sir?"

"Yes, but we thought we'd throw caution to the winds and eat here anyway."

Edited by ian
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Still thinking of driving through South Hams after a break, this stop is about halfway on the Longleat-Torquay A303 route. An American-Mexican restaurant ( no wall !) just before the A303 joins the A30 at Honiton

post-21027-0-42277000-1519303553_thumb.png

Edited by Limpley Stoker

• RMweb Gold

Most definitely. I keep mine on the bedside cabinet for night time reading. Plenty of second hand copies around Rich.

having arrived today I would say definitely worth buying! Only had a brief look so far, but a large photo of 6000 in post war livery will be handy for weathering, while a photo of a Saint in G crest W on small tender is crying out to be modelled

• RMweb Premium

a Saint in G crest W on small tender is crying out to be modelled

That is how I finished both St Andrew and St David, and they do look good compared to every other 4-6-0 which routinely has a 4000 gallon tender of one sort or another.

Shame the base Hornby model is not so perfect as the more recent offerings (Stars, Granges and 72XX to name a few), but it all depends on the level of rivet counting you run to.

I wanted to do yoga so I went to the village hall last night to speak to the instructor.  She asked how flexible I was, so I told her I could do most week-nights, but weekends are a bit hectic........

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

That is how I finished both St Andrew and St David, and they do look good compared to every other 4-6-0 which routinely has a 4000 gallon tender of one sort or another.

Shame the base Hornby model is not so perfect as the more recent offerings (Stars, Granges and 72XX to name a few), but it all depends on the level of rivet counting you run to.......

It certainly stands out, my first Saint (which is still without a chassis) has a Churchward 3500gl tender in green with Great Western logo while the body is in black.

Should a decent new model appear a green one with G crest W will almost certainly follow

Now following Rob’s lead I have a set of new star wheels to fit to 4025, just as soon as I work out how to remove the originals

Edited by The Fatadder

• RMweb Gold

It certainly stands out, my first Saint (which is still without a chassis) has a Churchward 3500gl tender in green with Great Western logo while the body is in black.

Should a decent new model appear a green one with G crest W will almost certainly follow

Now following Rob’s lead I have a set of new star wheels to fit to 4025, just as soon as I work out how to remove the originals

Take hold of the wheels twist & pull them :bb:  :training: , one normally gives way or use 2 thin bladed screw drivers and pry them off, failing that  :butcher: .