A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

Another preserved example in 4270 confirms this.

attachicon.gif4270.jpg

Still got some things wrong though.

With GWR on the side it should have the shutters and the red route classification should be above the numberplate. Polished brass safety valve cover? I don't think so! Though there were "Spanish practices" (am I allowed to say that?) depending largely on how far from Swindon it was based at the .time.

There were other differences between ostensibly similar looking locos.

This photo of her sister 5239 shews it to be green.

attachicon.gif5239.jpg

I've got back on my laptop and I've had a bit more of a look online to see if I could find any more.  5764 on the Severn Valley has the rear of the cab painted black and I believe 5526 and 5786 (when in GWR green) on the SDR does too.

I also found this on Ian Rathbone's website

http://www.ianrathbonemodelpainting.co.uk/gwr-locomotive-liveries-1923-39.php

The gwr.org page that showed it must have been edited as it doesn't talk about the back of the cab anymore.  So, I'm a little unsure over what the correct colour for th back of the cab should be now.

Edited by GWR8700

• RMweb Gold

If anyone is interested in a decent (rather than Lima) inside frames siphon to diagramme O33 there is a list gauging interest in a kit version based upon the amazing looking kit for the later diagram O68.

See here to show interest

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/128528-brwr-siphon-g-diagram-o62-in-4mm-scale/page-3&do=findComment&comment=3046387

I've got back on my laptop and I've had a bit more of a look online to see if I could find any more.  5764 on the Severn Valley has the rear of the cab painted black and I believe 5526 and 5786 (when in GWR green) on the SDR does too.

I also found this on Ian Rathbone's website

http://www.ianrathbonemodelpainting.co.uk/gwr-locomotive-liveries-1923-39.php

The gwr.org page that showed it must have been edited as it doesn't talk about the back of the cab anymore.  So, I'm a little unsure over what the correct colour for th back of the cab should be now.

If you carefully read the paragraph "Mid Chrome Green" it says "weather boards, sides and rear of bunker, sides and rear of tender." I think weatherboard is probably the correct term for what we would call the faces of the cab.

In the paragraph "Black" it says "inside of bunker, inside, top and front of tender." which is self explanatory. 

I believe Stephen Freeman to be correct.

Andy.

If you carefully read the paragraph "Mid Chrome Green" it says "weather boards, sides and rear of bunker, sides and rear of tender." I think weatherboard is probably the correct term for what we would call the faces of the cab.

In the paragraph "Black" it says "inside of bunker, inside, top and front of tender." which is self explanatory. 

I believe Stephen Freeman to be correct.

Andy.

Great Western Way by JN Slinn is quite specific see page 28

• RMweb Gold

I’m still wondering what Hornby shade of green Knight of the Thistles arrived in. The modified varnish trick might rescue several of my Hornby chalky bluish green locos. : has anybody tried adding a dash of brown to a weathering varnish , although the black tint does look convincing. Excellent photos as always.

Manufacturers seem to have a lot of trouble with GW green, getting it right.  Its a pity there's not a common pot to paint with so they all look like they came from the same railway company.  Also they can't seem to agree on the correct lining, too big, too orange; somebody must be doing it right surely.  Or close to it!

Brian.

I share your angst gents.However,IMHO both latest Star...K of T and Castle.... .Drysllwyn are the closest we have come from the Red Box to the genuine article .They are certainly a vast improvement at any rate. Next month's releases will demonstrate whether or not this is being sustained.

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see you back on here and posting John. ;)

John is elsewhere on RMweb doing marvellous work in liaising on multiple behalfs with an ailing female RMwebber, who has been unintentionally knocking on death's door for a while but keeps being brought back by NHS diligence.

He is high on my list of Big Men. 

This photo of her sister 5239 shews it to be green.

attachicon.gif5239.jpg

Believe it or not I think there may well be a tiny shred of justification for the Dartmouth Steam Railway's use of lined green on its 2-8-0 tanks. I'll explain.

In 1925 celebrations were held to mark the centenary of the Stockton and Darlington Railway. I very useful website describes the events and lists the locos in attendance:-

http://www.railcentre.co.uk/RailHistory/Stockton/Pages/StocktonPage6.html#Section02_ID

LNER locomotives dominated, but the GWR sent a strong contingent including 'Castle' 4082 'Windsor Castle', 'Castle' 111 'Viscount Churchill', prototype 47xx No. 4700, the replica of Broad Gauge 2-2-2 'North Star' and finally 2-8-0T No. 5225.

'Windsor Castle' would have been chosen as it was considered the company's 'royal engine', having been personally driven by King George V during his visit to Swindon in April 1924.

'Viscount Churchill' would have been chosen because it was the rebuild of 'The Great Bear'. Perhaps the GWR were keen to remind their hosts that the GWR built the county's first 'Pacific'?

4700 and 5225 was chosen would have been chosen to represent the company's good locomotives. 4700 was certainly painted in non-standard lined green for the purposes of the celebration. The question is, was 5225 also so adorned?

I haven't managed too find any photographs, but amazingly film of the event does survive. The 4700 and one of the 'Castles' ate clearly seen, but sadly not the 2-8-0T

Andy.

Pretty much the reason why the south Devon railway gets my money when we go for a train ride rather than the painton and Dartmouth. The former makes an effort to be realistic. The latter just wants to look pretty for the grockles

The main reason for this, is that there are more 'grockles' than 'anoraks' so the railway has to appeal to where the most money comes from.  And they are not so fussy about such things.

Brian.

Believe it or not I think there may well be a tiny shred of justification for the Dartmouth Steam Railway's use of lined green on its 2-8-0 tanks. I'll explain.

In 1925 celebrations were held to mark the centenary of the Stockton and Darlington Railway. I very useful website describes the events and lists the locos in attendance:-

http://www.railcentre.co.uk/RailHistory/Stockton/Pages/StocktonPage6.html#Section02_ID

LNER locomotives dominated, but the GWR sent a strong contingent including 'Castle' 4082 'Windsor Castle', 'Castle' 111 'Viscount Churchill', prototype 47xx No. 4700, the replica of Broad Gauge 2-2-2 'North Star' and finally 2-8-0T No. 5225.

'Windsor Castle' would have been chosen as it was considered the company's 'royal engine', having been personally driven by King George V during his visit to Swindon in April 1924.

'Viscount Churchill' would have been chosen because it was the rebuild of 'The Great Bear'. Perhaps the GWR were keen to remind their hosts that the GWR built the county's first 'Pacific'?

4700 and 5225 was chosen would have been chosen to represent the company's good locomotives. 4700 was certainly painted in non-standard lined green for the purposes of the celebration. The question is, was 5225 also so adorned?

I haven't managed too find any photographs, but amazingly film of the event does survive. The 4700 and one of the 'Castles' ate clearly seen, but sadly not the 2-8-0T

Andy.

The 2-8-0 tank was fully lined with GREAT GARTER WESTERN on the tanks.

111 hauled the new GWR articulated train to Darlington.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The main reason for this, is that there are more 'grockles' than 'anoraks' so the railway has to appeal to where the most money comes from.  And they are not so fussy about such things.

Brian.

It also helps that catching a steam train in the heart of Paignton, right by the National Rail station, and all the tat shops on the seaward side of the level crossing, is a lot easier than traipsing out to wistful, 'alternative' Totnes and then finding the preserved line. I accept the latter railway is more kosher, of course, but it is a deal less convenient for the holidaying majority in Torbay. 

• RMweb Gold

It also helps that catching a steam train in the heart of Paignton, right by the National Rail station, and all the tat shops on the seaward side of the level crossing, is a lot easier than traipsing out to wistful, 'alternative' Totnes and then finding the preserved line. I accept the latter railway is more kosher, of course, but it is a deal less convenient for the holidaying majority in Torbay. 

Both concerns have the bonus of a decent model shop in the vicinity of their main station on the line too. ;) I support both lines in equal measure but my kids prefer the P & D. Which is probably why I got my footplate ride there for my 50th.

post-126-0-65237400-1518947089.jpg

Interesting to see brass beading around the rear cab windows.

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 9

How easy is it to park in Paignton? Our summer hols will involve driving from wiltshire (part 1) to Cornwall (part 2). From google maps, Paignton looks about 2h from where we are in Cornwall and about the same from our starting point that day. On a related point, how good is the catering option?

I’ve visited the SDR so would rather tick another line off the list

David

• RMweb Gold

How easy is it to park in Paignton? Our summer hols will involve driving from wiltshire (part 1) to Cornwall (part 2). From google maps, Paignton looks about 2h from where we are in Cornwall and about the same from our starting point that day. On a related point, how good is the catering option?

I’ve visited the SDR so would rather tick another line off the list

David

There is a station car park. I can't tell you how much it is, though. And there are several other car parks in the vicinity. Paignton has the unusual benefit of the bus station being opposite the railway station, but car parking is also advertised widely. Presumably your change of location is on a Saturday? Never a great day for driving and parking in the SW in season!

• RMweb Gold

There is a station car park. I can't tell you how much it is, though. And there are several other car parks in the vicinity. Paignton has the unusual benefit of the bus station being opposite the railway station, but car parking is also advertised widely. Presumably your change of location is on a Saturday? Never a great day for driving and parking in the SW in season!

I would park in the multi storey behind the Lidl supermarket and put plenty in the ticket machine for the day. Catering is excellent in Dartmouth or Paignton. PM for more details.