A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Ian - sounds like there are options at least. We’ll be travelling on a Friday. A trade off between holiday traffic and commercial traffic!

Or you could try parking in Dartmouth and doing it all from the other end - there is a ferry which lands you right by the station on the Kingswear side and will keep your lad suitably amused on both thrips trying to work out exactly what goes on with the alongside tug which propels it.  There seemed to be a reasonable amount of parking in Dartmouth but as we arrived by sea I don't know how difficult it would be to find a space!

• Like 1

Thanks Rob, Mike and Ian. I shall enter into some negotiations with the domestic authorities. She's started noticing that every long distance trip I plan seems to end up with a break at a railway related place. I've pointed out that 75% of the family are happy with this but she still thinks that her vote should be a veto.

David

• RMweb Gold

How easy is it to park in Paignton? 

There is also an option to park just behind the new library. It is pay & display, but depending on how long you want to park for, it could be an option and is less than 5 mins walk from both stations.

There is an even cheaper option down along Sands Road, close to Paignton South Level Crossing, where it is a parking meter, but is cheaper than the car park behind the library. Not sure of what the maximum stay is, though. We usually put 3 hours in when we use it, but there aren't many spaces (but we usually got one, even between April and July).

Paignton looks about 2h from where we are in Cornwall

You're staying pretty close to the border, then?

There is also an option to park just behind the new library. It is pay & display, but depending on how long you want to park for, it could be an option and is less than 5 mins walk from both stations.

There is an even cheaper option down along Sands Road, close to Paignton South Level Crossing, where it is a parking meter, but is cheaper than the car park behind the library. Not sure of what the maximum stay is, though. We usually put 3 hours in when we use it, but there aren't many spaces (but we usually got one, even between April and July).

You're staying pretty close to the border, then?

Thanks - much appreciated CK.

We’ll be staying about 5 miles north of Newquay so not that far over the border. A long way from North East London though in all senses of the word.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Rob, Mike and Ian. I shall enter into some negotiations with the domestic authorities. She's started noticing that every long distance trip I plan seems to end up with a break at a railway related place. I've pointed out that 75% of the family are happy with this but she still thinks that her vote should be a veto.

David

In which case head for Dartmouth and leave her to wander round while you catch the train. It's a lovely little town which I'm sure she will enjoy.

• Like 1

In which case head for Dartmouth and leave her to wander round while you catch the train. It's a lovely little town which I'm sure she will enjoy.

She might go for that.

The best dodge I pulled was for a journey from Bath to Chester. Conveniently Kidderminster was about half way. I persuaded her to drop me and number one son (number two was a while off arriving) at the SVR station and pick us up at Bridgnorth. We had a pleasant ride and she got an hour’s peace and quiet. I’m not sure that it’s repeatable mind.

• Like 2

Less than 1500 words? Can't be done.

Oh! Yes it can.....

Yum Yum ..... Easy Pea-sy  :declare:

W. Ikypeedeer

Edited by bgman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Please explain, in no more than 1500 words, exactly what you are on about here, please.

I believe that it is known as 'recreational eating' m'lud.

• RMweb Gold

How easy is it to park in Paignton? Our summer hols will involve driving from wiltshire (part 1) to Cornwall (part 2). From google maps, Paignton looks about 2h from where we are in Cornwall and about the same from our starting point that day. On a related point, how good is the catering option?

I’ve visited the SDR so would rather tick another line off the list

David

David...as one who suffered a Friday journey to South Devon from the Midlands in 2016,a heartfelt plea......avoid travel on that day if at all possible.It's"changeover day" for accomodation so the roads are clogged and tempers are short but a stopover somewhere in the Dartmouth/Brixham region could give you a day on the railway,combined with a river trip from Dartmouth Quay to Greenways which was Agatha Christie's former residence (there is a halt on the railway there and the house is served also by a vintage bus service from Torquay).Decent accomodation is not cheap so depends on budget. One thing I strongly recommend is sampling Mitch Tonks' fish restaurants in Dartmouth (The Seahorse is expensive but he has an excellent fish n' chippy next door which is licensed...try the Tonnix vin Blanc) and Brixham. I love Dartmouth.....good luck

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Or you could try parking in Dartmouth and doing it all from the other end - there is a ferry which lands you right by the station on the Kingswear side and will keep your lad suitably amused on both thrips trying to work out exactly what goes on with the alongside tug which propels it.  There seemed to be a reasonable amount of parking in Dartmouth but as we arrived by sea I don't know how difficult it would be to find a space!

Dartmouth operates a Park and Ride facility....near Sainsbury's at the top of the town.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Ian - sounds like there are options at least. We’ll be travelling on a Friday. A trade off between holiday traffic and commercial traffic!

I have just picked up on this. Please note my comments on Friday travel in summer above.Even some of the service areas on the M5 are inaccessible due to traffic.You think I jest? The westbound Portishead took 20 minutes to access and then a fruitless exercise to park plus another 20 minutes to re.access the M5 west.This with wife and son's mil with aching bladders...not to say mine.Mafeking was eventually relieved at Bridgewater (note the pun....but true) I swear that the next time..if there ever is a next time..I visit Devon or Cornwall in the holiday season it will be by rail or fly to Newquay and hire a car.So don't throw away your plastic bottles...they may come in very handy.

• RMweb Gold

A bit of sole searching finds this highly recommended fish and chip shop.

https://www.therockfish.co.uk/

Mitch Tonks is a great guy.What he doesn't know about cooking fish is not worth knowing. Couple of years ago he updated GWR catering on its West of England services.Used to own Fish Works in Bath and Bristol then closed them but reinvented himself in Brixhsm and Dartmouth.Once had the memorable privelege of consuming a John Dory fish prepared by him next door at The Seahorse.Memorable.

• RMweb Gold

Dartmouth operates a Park and Ride facility....near Sainsbury's at the top of the town.

If you come to Dartmouth from the Totnes direction this applies but I've always used the higher ferry and found a car park space in town, sometimes along the wall by the river if you're lucky.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If you come to Dartmouth from the Totnes direction this applies but I've always used the higher ferry and found a car park space in town, sometimes along the wall by the river if you're lucky.

Agree but that depends upon the time of year and time of day and on what's going on in Dartmouth.In season it's justifiably a popular destination.

David will never get to Mawgan Porth or wherever, if he's to sample both ferries, the Park and Ride, parking near the Boat Float, eat at various restaurants and chippies and fit in a one and half hour round trip on the Dartmouth Steam Railway. It can't be done in a three hour journey break. :jester: .