A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

Don't remember that film - the clip is a Mk 1 Mustang buzzing the tower somewhere.

'The First of the Few' is entitled 'Spitfire' over here and was on TCM recently.  IIRC, the opening is R.J. and his wife relaxing on a bucolic English hillside on a Summers day, watching the clouds in the sky with birds wheeling overhead.  He wonders how they manage it and ponders a bird shaped monoplane; free of struts and wires which ended up as the Supermarine floatplane winners and eventually, the Spitfire.  Good film, even in this CGI age especially with William Walton's soundtrack.

Brian.

Nice description Brian - I rememebr this film now.

No - the clip posted is definitely a Mk 1 Mustang with a cockpit like a Hurricane/Defiant and a poorly performing Allison engine.

I stand corrected. Must get my eyes tested again obviously.

Walton's Spitfire Prelude and Fugue is indeed a fine piece of music.

• RMweb Gold

Not my O2 and due to the gearing arrangement, the coupling rods are purely for show  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Sven had some similar problem with his coupling rod. Samantha told me.

• RMweb Gold

They're like Tesla's over-rated and over here. I still haven't forgotten how certain members tried to have me lynched (along with others) when I criticized the O2 when I got my non-running first one.

I have an O2 having waited a number of years before buying it. As a model it is delightful but far too complicated for it's own good. The designer tried to be too clever and as you say we are left with lazy coupling rods, which do iritate me at times, though my example runs well. I PM'd him recently on another matter and I have had not so much as an acknowledgement from him, which says it all as far as I am concerned.

Never will one of his products darken my door again, which is a shame as I really fancied a 14xx or two.

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Must have mentioned this before? On the way home from windsurfing (oh yes, I did have a life once) at Shoreham, on Air Display Day, (mid 90s?), we were buzzed by 5 Mustangs doing a really fast and low (probably illegal) over the airfield run. They were just starting to climb to miss the North Downs and I almost crashed it was so spectacular; what a sound that was.

P

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Must have mentioned this before? On the way home from windsurfing (oh yes, I did have a life once) at Shoreham, on Air Display Day, (mid 90s?), we were buzzed by 5 Mustangs doing a really fast and low (probably illegal) over the airfield run. They were just starting to climb to miss the North Downs and I almost crashed it was so spectacular; what a sound that was.

P

I learned to windsurf at Hove Lagoon, which was great as a) it was warm and b) only about three feet deep.

Happy days.

• RMweb Gold

I have an O2 having waited a number of years before buying it. As a model it is delightful but far too complicated for it's own good. The designer tried to be too clever and as you say we are left with lazy coupling rods, which do iritate me at times, though my example runs well. I PM'd him recently on another matter and I have had not so much as an acknowledgement from him, which says it all as far as I am concerned.

Never will one of his products darken my door again, which is a shame as I really fancied a 14xx or two.

Rob.

I think you have got that particular 'designer' spot on, over-complication seems to have been his trademark even when told it isn't wanted.  Which of course might contribute to explaining changes in his customer base.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I think you have got that particular 'designer' spot on, over-complication seems to have been his trademark even when told it isn't wanted.  Which of course might contribute to explaining changes in his customer base.

A large reduction?.  :jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I learned to windsurf at Hove Lagoon, which was great as a) it was warm and b) only about three feet deep.

Happy days.

Ah, Hove (actually) Lagoon. It was still there around 2000ish, just before I was transferred to 36E

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Perseverance could be your friend and you could sell the over-complicated chassis off on E-Bay.

I have never learned to windsurf.

I doubt that I ever will, either.

• RMweb Gold

I still haven’t bought a decoder for mine, I really ought to get one and give it a proper test to see if I am going to need to buy a replacement High Level chassis for it.

Still can’t believe how badly designed the chassis is on this particular manufacturers products...

• RMweb Gold

I think we are experiencing an 'emperor's new clothes' moment, albeit a somewhat protracted one.

• RMweb Gold

Rob.

My sentiments exactly, I did get a decent running O2 eventually - however I decided there and then not buy another product from that particular manufacturer either.

However if a customer wants me to work on one of there's I will - hence the O2, which is currently in the sauna that's my paintshop & Rob's 1361 class that I corrected the livery issues on.

• RMweb Premium

Great photos of the Mogul, I do so hope Dapol does a good job with its new one.

For something slightly different, can we have some photos of the goods yard/shed being shunted and a freight departing therefrom please.

• RMweb Gold

Latest news is that, following another period of running-in on the rolling road this afternoon and then a running test using my AMR slow-speed controller, I am contemplating the possibility of advising you of some cautious optimism with regard to the running qualities of my 14XX.

Further rolling road running in will follow and we'll see, but early indications are better than I had expected.

• Like 1

I spent much of today playing on a friend's 'O' gauge layout, top stuff!

'.............and when I became a man, I put away those childish things..................!  And changed to O gauge!! :imsohappy:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Latest news is that, following another period of running-in on the rolling road this afternoon and then a running test using my AMR slow-speed controller, I am contemplating the possibility of advising you of some cautious optimism with regard to the running qualities of my 14XX.

Further rolling road running in will follow and we'll see, but early indications are better than I had expected.

O Ye of little faith...........

• RMweb Gold

Whatever happened to the emperor's old clothes?

They ended up in a second hand shop in Haverfordwest.