A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

random fact about 5060.

It was renamed Earl of Berkeley in 1937, 5 years later the 8th and fina earl died without and heir and the title became extinct. The loco then lasted another 20 years carrying the name.

Were there any other castles for which one loco was named both for the person and another for their seat (other than 5060 and 4085 Berkeley Castle)

A brief peruse of the Book of the Castle 4-6-0's came up with this one: 4088 Dartmouth Castle & 5047 Earl of Dartmouth, there's probably a few

Edited by toboldlygo

As you all know I do like a Pannier, but I also like a Dean Goods equally as well.

My 7mm build is slowly getting there with quite a few more coats of paint and varnish to seal various aspects of the finish.

Question : Do I go for a straight out of the works version or just ever so slightly weathered ?

Bearing in mind it is in the Edwardian era and they boys did like a bit of spit n'polish on their steeds !

post-20303-0-31832500-1543694619_thumb.jpg

post-20303-0-52001700-1543694631_thumb.jpg

post-20303-0-46088700-1543694643_thumb.jpg

These last bits seem to take forever !!!

What dya GWR blokes think, any good ? 

It is my first 7mm build.

G

p.s. the light seems to give the smokebox door a slightly bulbous look...it aint though and also the cab looks a bit wonky but again its the jaunty camera angle I'm afraid.

p.p.s. I've just consumed a rather nice lamb curry so don't expect any quick replies !!!!! :jester:

Edited by bgman
  • Like 7

I finks it looks good although if t'were I, it would be in the more colourful era with tinges of red here and there..  If the DGs weren't finished that way, I would do it anyway as it looks good!  If it runs on tinplate track,  you could bring it over and run it on the layout! :drink_mini:

Brian.

Question : Do I go for a straight out of the works version or just ever so slightly weathered ?

Bearing in mind it is in the Edwardian era and they boys did like a bit of spit n'polish on their steeds !

Sometimes.

For some 'reality' Dean Goods, start here for a page or two:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/97672-pragmatic-pre-grouping-mikkels-workbench/?p=2780186

Btw, I think you need a parallel chimney.

Sometimes.

For some 'reality' Dean Goods, start here for a page or two:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/97672-pragmatic-pre-grouping-mikkels-workbench/?p=2780186

Btw, I think you need a parallel chimney.

Miss P,

I have been following that thread thank you and most informative,

I would tend to agree with you about the parallel chimney and will be getting one as soon as i find a suitable replacement. I do happen to have one in an un-started Scorpio Armstrong Goods kit which may find its way into the smokebox.

This one will be No. 2398,  as it was the only one that I am aware of that pulled a 2000 gall tender which I am building to go behind it. 

As an aside, I would thoroughly reckon the book by Jeremy Clements - William Dean the greatest of them all. It is an extremely good reference tome.

G

• Like 1

As an aside, I would thoroughly reckon the book by Jeremy Clements - William Dean the greatest of them all. It is an extremely good reference tome.

I haven't got it, but Mikkel gives me good intelligence.

This one will be No. 2398, as it was the only one that I am aware of that pulled a 2000 gall tender which I am building to go behind it.

http://www.gwr.org.uk/tenders/2434-pontypool-1935.jpg

• Like 1

I haven't got it, but Mikkel gives me good intelligence.

http://www.gwr.org.uk/tenders/2434-pontypool-1935.jpg

Worth purchasing Miss P its my go to reference.

Thank you for the attached photograph, I haven't seen that before, must have missed it on the site.

I notice, having briefly zoomed in, there appears to be two scoop handles. I was lead to believe that the 2000 gall tender did not have a water scoop, the one nearest to the camera was therefore the hand brake column.  ( Photographs seem to be rare ? ).

As my tender is currently unfinished ( 80 % done ) I would very much like to get it correct-ish if possible so......if any of the ANTB clan has some reference to this I would be most grateful.

I also note that it is attached to No. 2434 shedded at Pontypool, mine would be more of a west country loco as No. 2398 was originally shedded at Bristol.

Grahame 

I notice, having briefly zoomed in, there appears to be two scoop handles. I was lead to believe that the 2000 gall tender did not have a water scoop, the one nearest to the camera was therefore the hand brake column.  ( Photographs seem to be rare ? )

Yes, a bit rare.

There aren't two scoop handles. The lhs one is the brake handle, the rhs side one is the scoop handle. (That seemed to be a GWR standard.)

I've sent you an 'other side view' of a 2000g in a PM. Note the tall toolbox on the rhs.

Although not built with scoops (no point really, before 1895), 2000g tenders being used in the west country were some of the first tenders to get scoop retrofits when the water troughs arrived. Locos with small tenders were always thirsty west of Newton, a situation not alleviated until Lostwithiel troughs came into use in 1908. And the Dukes were forced to use 2000g units because of the tiny turntable at Penzance. (Locos with larger tenders using Penzance had to depart, pointing the same way they came in, all the way to Truro I think, or maybe even back to Newton.)

The 60-or-so Dukes and the Stellas monopolised the 80 2000g tenders. But when Long Rock shed came on stream in 1914, the situation for the Dukes suddenly changed, and the Dukes were then freed of the 2000g and could upgrade to longer and bigger tenders. After that, the 2000g units were dispersed mainly to Standard Goods, which in turn could relinquish their old Armstrong tenders. I think many of the 2000gs had their scoop apparatus removed in later years.

That's a longwinded way of saying that putting a 2000g behind a Dean Goods was rare because the DGs were too useful and too important for that.

I also note that it is attached to No. 2434 shedded at Pontypool, mine would be more of a west country loco as No. 2398 was originally shedded at Bristol.

Fair enough. But locos moved around, and tenders moved around even more so.

Is there a pic of 2398 with a 2000g?

Most interesting info on tenders.  In all my GW learning years, I never knew of a 2000 tender  -  I thought all DGs and others of this vintage came with a 3000 tender.  Just shows, you learn something new all the time so thanks a bunch! :senile:

Brian.

Yes, a bit rare.

There aren't two scoop handles. The lhs one is the brake handle, the rhs side one is the scoop handle. (That seemed to be a GWR standard.)

I've sent you an 'other side view' of a 2000g in a PM. Note the tall toolbox on the rhs.

Although not built with scoops (no point really, before 1895), 2000g tenders being used in the west country were some of the first tenders to get scoop retrofits when the water troughs arrived. Locos with small tenders were always thirsty west of Newton, a situation not alleviated until Lostwithiel troughs came into use in 1908. And the Dukes were forced to use 2000g units because of the tiny turntable at Penzance. (Locos with larger tenders using Penzance had to depart, pointing the same way they came in, all the way to Truro I think, or maybe even back to Newton.)

The 60-or-so Dukes and the Stellas monopolised the 80 2000g tenders. But when Long Rock shed came on stream in 1914, the situation for the Dukes suddenly changed, and the Dukes were then freed of the 2000g and could upgrade to longer and bigger tenders. After that, the 2000g units were dispersed mainly to Standard Goods, which in turn could relinquish their old Armstrong tenders. I think many of the 2000gs had their scoop apparatus removed in later years.

That's a longwinded way of saying that putting a 2000g behind a Dean Goods was rare because the DGs were too useful and too important for that.

Fair enough. But locos moved around, and tenders moved around even more so.

Is there a pic of 2398 with a 2000g?

Sorry, I didn't mean to put two scoop handles, my silly mistake ! I do realise one is a brake handle which is what I meant to type. 

Thank you for your very useful history too which makes sense if operating into Cornwall etc. especially the Dukes and Stellas ( I like those too ! ).

I appreciate that many locos and tenders did move around, some of my research has been taken from the Allocations listed in Jeremy Clements book.

It may be of interest to note this which is an except taken from the Finney7 website under the Dean Goods kit details -

TENDERS 

Many of the earlier engines appear to have come out with second-hand iron frame or double frame Armstrong tenders which were to be found on the class up to about 1912.  Later engines were paired with standard Dean 2500 gallon tenders.  In later years a significant number acquired larger Dean tenders of 3000 gallons capacity.  At least one (2398) was paired with a diminutive Dean 2000 gallon tender.

Its becoming a real puzzle for me now but I do appreciate your help so far.

G

Apologies to Rob for taking up the thread space.

• RMweb Gold

As you all know I do like a Pannier, but I also like a Dean Goods equally as well.

My 7mm build is slowly getting there with quite a few more coats of paint and varnish to seal various aspects of the finish.

Looks fantastic Grahame. Slightly weathered would be the sensible, sombre option - so obviously you should go for dazzling ex-works!  :)  Seriously though it's a dilemma isn't it. Maybe depends on the style of the layout you'll be running it on? (clever me, eh, trying to make you reveal your plans).

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifIMG_0111.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0112.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0113.jpg

These last bits seem to take forever !!!

What dya GWR blokes think, any good ? 

It is my first 7mm build.

G

p.s. the light seems to give the smokebox door a slightly bulbous look...it aint though and also the cab looks a bit wonky but again its the jaunty camera angle I'm afraid.

p.p.s. I've just consumed a rather nice lamb curry so don't expect any quick replies !!!!! :jester:

Absolutely stunning Grahame.

• RMweb Gold

Hi All,

Castle Tours 2019 thread for the two day tour of Didcot and Fawley has gone live!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/139995-rmweb-tour-of-didcot-fawley-25th-26th-may-2019/

All the best,

Castle

Is that the same weekend as Railex. :read:

http://www.railex.org.uk/

Edited by gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

A cracking line up of layouts there next year including Arun Quay , Penfold Priory and David Stone's Sherton Abbas.

Just might duck out early at Fawley Hill depending on how the day is going there and wizz over to Aylesbury for the last couple of hours 

it's only 20-30 minutes away.

Edit

it gets worse for me I'll be in Cuba for the EXPO-EM show, and I've missed several shows this year due to vertigo which has stopped me 

from driving, buqqer, damn and sod it .

Edited by 81C

• RMweb Gold

One is reminded of the late Russell Harty, tv presenter and personality. He hosted a tv book programme, and the researchers identified a new publication called “A History of Kings”. On receiving this, for RH to review on camera, they were slightly taken aback to find the content was rather more RMweb than historical fact.

• Like 1