A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

This the sort of range noise you need in Essex...........................attachicon.gifth18GZWSTS.jpg

There is Essex and there is TOWIE land........    our end is more Suffolk and their end is more worthy of a few megatons.

• RMweb Premium

As first noted in RM in the mid-sixties. The Freezer text was something about with-it typists sending out invoices to Beatles of London.

There's a ferry across there isn't there?

Gerry Anna Pacemakers

I'm sure there's a joke in there trying to get out. Assistance welcome.

A cracking photo Miss P and I can't say I've seen it before. The fields in the background look like my fiddle yards backscene if you squint.

Brent was always served by plenty of signals; a sight to behold.  Probably none there now!

What is interesting is the condition of the passenger engine looking all buffed up with shiny buffers and front coupler, etc.  The loco in the siding looks more like another tank engine due to the close proximity of what appears to be a van instead of a tender.  But what do I know; its even before my time!

Lovely picture though and where was it found?  Like Robin, I've never seen it either!

Brian. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

No - just a bridge/causeway that gets submersed by the tide.......

The Paragons.

The causeway was great. We had clients on Mersea. I use to check the time of the tides, and arrange to meet the client. On the day of the visit to the client I would have to retire to the cafe until the tide went out and oh dear too late to get back to the office. One day the boss suggested to me I should check the time of the tides. I didn't tell her I was already doing so.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The causeway was great. We had clients on Mersea. I use to check the time of the tides, and arrange to meet the client. On the day of the visit to the client I would have to retire to the cafe until the tide went out and oh dear too late to get back to the office. One day the boss suggested to me I should check the time of the tides. I didn't tell her I was already doing so.

The Royal Oak at Langstone in Hampshire was like that at high spring tides.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Then there is Lindisfarne, complete with castle having Lutyens touches. The causeway really does disappear at high tide, so access is limited to certain variable hours. In the 30s Deb’s Great Aunt Doris was skoolma’am there, and was not popular because she had noticed that some of the family relationships were a mite “close”. Being Doris - never to be trifled with! - she had no doubt made her observations known!

• RMweb Premium

I worked for an engineering firm on the mainland for a while.  We had a dismantling shop/ / large and heavy parts store in the Island and did the same thing too  (:

• Like 3

attachicon.gifsouth-brent-metro-small.jpg

A large Metro tank strolls in with a V2 PBV and a couple of Cler(2) coaches, the second one with destination board stalks. Can't make out the loco in the layback siding, could be a Dean Goods. The stacked hay in the opens looks to be breaking the loading gauge!

Feels a bit 1910-ish.

It is an Armstrong goods. It was taken the same day as a previous shown image (repeated below) of a Saint coming into Brent.

The goods train has been shunted now with several wagons dropped off and heads off towards Plymouth. there were several others taken at the same time.

post-9992-0-09913500-1543504415.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

There's been a lot of talk about chimney's recently especially the Castles. This afternoon I saw 5071 Spitfire alongside a Lord Nelson 30860 with a double type. I had to dig one out with the proper chimney on my model.

post-126-0-42650500-1543514131_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

There's been a lot of talk about chimney's recently especially the Castles. This afternoon I saw 5071 Spitfire alongside a Lord Nelson 30860 with a double type. I had to dig one out with the proper chimney on my model.

attachicon.gifimageedit_1_2963067878.jpg

I was just proving the Lord Nelson's wandered West and that Rob definitely needs one (eventually)  :jester:  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

One did once for Navy Days or something, over the GW.

Brian.

If I'm going to buy one I will need photographic evidence, on Dainton in the summer of '47 if possible. :jester:

Edited by gwrrob

attachicon.gifimageedit_1_2963067878.jpg

Tamperer... "Whats she gonna look like with a Chimney on her ?"

TOTP

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifsouth-brent-metro-small.jpg

A large Metro tank strolls in with a V2 PBV and a couple of Cler(2) coaches, the second one with destination board stalks. Can't make out the loco in the layback siding, could be a Dean Goods. The stacked hay in the opens looks to be breaking the loading gauge!

Feels a bit 1910-ish.

Nice signals. The gent in the four-foot, what would he be doing?