A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Good to see the Cornish welcoming the bill payers arriving on the A30 near Bodmin this afternoon.:D

Didn't you realise - they were trying to find an imaginative use for that Wills "Hall's distemper men" kit?

2 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

So much more imaginative than the people who some years put up a sign at the Menai Bridge simply saying "Anglesey Full!"

But that's in "The Land of My Father's" - so it's known as "keeping a welcome in the hillsides".

OK - perhaps not ... .

• Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Bishop of Welchester said:

This is something I really wish I hadn't seen: although a pannier rarely offends, this is the exception.

I guess it’s good to see Western practices spreading out to the great unwashed.... how history would have been different if the GWR had agreed to build the Castles for the LMS.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, A Murphy said:

Gardeners Question Time

That feels about as unnatural on this forum as having Alan Titchmarsh presenting a radio show about classical music.

Whatever next, the Prime Minister starting his own TV show about the Art of Coiffuring or DJ Models being restarted and producing beautifully running loco chassis?

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold

As a Welsh couple living in Cornwall, but with family in North Wales & Anglesey, we have been fortunate,  so far that none of us have been medically affected by the current crisis. 

Having lots of holiday makers descend on both areas is a concern, as the health care infrastructure is already stretched.

And after seeing the litter left behind, I fully agree with the sign above held over the A30.

And that LMS pannier is awful.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Good to see the Cornish welcoming the bill payers arriving on the A30 near Bodmin this afternoon.:D

Well said those people. Yesterday we saw an influx of houses on wheels arriving here in the middle of nowhere Lincolnshire. How long before we are no longer virus free?

14 hours ago, Bishop of Welchester said:

This is something I really wish I hadn't seen: although a pannier rarely offends, this is the exception.

Painful to the eyes, a real railway's livery applied daubed on a Swindon thingy. 

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Talking to a friend yesterday who lives in Exeter, he said the M5, A30 etc were like caravan parks. I feel for the locals.

Strangely, the roads around here were very quiet...

IMG_20200704_160445.jpg.6046dfb4c8b38e64654a5c42a463c473.jpg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Having lots of holiday makers descend on both areas is a concern, as the health care infrastructure is already stretched.

The South West is by far the least affected part of England. Locals have every reason to fear an influx of visitors.

• Agree 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

And after seeing the litter left behind, I fully agree with the sign above held over the A30.

I understand a lot of locals opinions. I've been a supporter of holidays in the West Country for 40 years, I feel they should be obligatory instead of jetting off to sunnier, cheaper places in the sun. I have a great fondness for the area.

However, tourism is a massive part of that area and I feel some businesses etc will not have been there for future generations , my grandchildren for example, if the government hadn't relaxed lockdown. My father had to leave Devon to get a job in the late '50s. The economy needs the tourism and not all holidaymakers are reckless litter louts, some of us worship the scenery.

• Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

I agree Robin, it's the very few that spoil it for the vast majority.

This is a quote from the Council newsletter:

Saturday 4th July is the day central government has said that hotels, holiday lets, cafés and restaurants can reopen and visitors return to Cornwall. 

We understand, reopening tomorrow brings economic relief for many businesses. For some residents, Cornwall's release from lockdown brings the fear of a second wave that could put loved ones at risk and see our health services overwhelmed.

As a Council, we will keep urging caution. We will keep reminding residents and visitors that the actions of every single one of us can make the difference between a safe reopening and a second wave  that sends us all back into lock down.

So it's not just a few locals who are worried, it really is a county-wide (and Devon as well) concern. 

And the police are saying this:

dcp_twitter.JPG.7e5e9fb73b4e543cdb93d32fab6671e9.JPG

Is it any wonder, at the moment, visitors are not welcome ?

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

Barnstaple and Newquay are hell holes at the best of times, when it comes to idiots and alcohol.  It must be absolutely terrifying for folks just trying to get by and stay safe.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

1 hour ago, 2750Papyrus said:

The simple answer would be to stop selling alcohol in the affected areas, making them safe and clean for both locals and visitors.  Or would the financial impact be too great on the local economies?

Visitors would likely still bring their own booze giving the worst of all worlds.  No revenue from booze sales and the consequences of non-sober visitors.  Prob more litter too if pubs were closed...

• Agree 4