A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Are you meeting John Dew of the parish whilst you are there. He has a boat I believe.

Phil

Hopefully we can meet for a drink and Photo op......Eagle Island is 20 minutes drive from here. Have sent Colin a PM

Cheers

John

Sadly we no longer have a boat......old age and all that.....first time in 40 years without one.

• RMweb Gold

Norman Lockhart prefers glass plates for his black and white images though he has embraced the new medium of colour.....

Pah! the man's name is Lockett where were you brung up. :jester:

They may well have worked up from the West Country (how far west did they work?) in the evenings with trains of perishables for London's markets, but logically, they must have run back during the day sometime, ready for the next evening's train.

Prior to working the up perishables from Exeter, the 47xx was used on local duties. There are several published shots on the Devon sea wall working similar duties. Here is the earliest shot I have from the 1920's, that has not been published, to my knowledge. It came from a collection of family snaps.

post-9992-0-33796700-1465415000_thumb.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Pah! the man's name is Lockett where were you brung up. :jester:

Sheep Lane.......Norman normally photographs movements therein with his good friend Ivo Peterborough.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94613-western-diversion/page-35

Edited by nhy581

• RMweb Premium

The poor chap is obviously affronted by the sight of a Bulleid minus its air-smoothed casing. And so he should be.

Actually he is assessing the authenticity of that 'Packet'. If it is not one from his collection it may not have relevant detail 'differences' or be correct for its' proposed era of use or for the actual loco that it represents, that is:

the correct top feed pipe runs;

the correct tender;

correct insignia/markings;

correct water treatment apparatus;

a speedo/no speedo;

AWS/no AWS.

Spams can do this by placing his hands (as he is demonstrating) near the machine, using a technique similar to Reki. Damn clever eh what?

Sincerely,

East Lee.

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

Actually he is assessing the authenticity of that 'Packet'. If it is not one from his collection it may not have relevant detail 'differences' or be correct for its' proposed era of use or for the actual loco that it represents, that is:

the correct top feed pipe runs;

the correct tender;

correct insignia/markings;

correct water treatment apparatus;

a speedo/no speedo;

AWS/no AWS.

Spams can do this by placing his hands (as he is demonstrating) near the machine, using a technique similar to Reki. Damn clever eh what?

Sincerely,

East Lee.

Sort of like a tsoothsayer you mean?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Had a look at my scenics today and added some growth using various materials from several manufacturers. I particularly like the foliage from Heki.

post-126-0-80273800-1465475962_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-20360100-1465475981_thumb.jpg

The local postman, Peter Hazell, is visiting today.

post-126-0-72220800-1465476012_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Had a look at my scenics today and added some growth using various materials from several manufacturers. I particularly like the foliage from Heki.

attachicon.gifDSCN8605.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN8606.jpg

The local postman, Peter Hazell, is visiting today.

attachicon.gifDSCN8607.jpg

Wow! Doesn't stuff grow quickly in South Devon- Gulf Stream obviously. I fancy walking my dog behind the station now-- come on, Tilly!
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Looks great Rob. Is that Townstreet walling along the station road?

Very much so Ben, it's a brilliant product that takes paint well although disguising the joins can be tricky.Very underused imo.

Very much so Ben, it's a brilliant product that takes paint well although disguising the joins can be tricky.Very underused imo.

Thanks Rob, it does look good. I took inspiration from you and went for the Townstreet platform edging and I've been very happy with it - even for a limited painter such as myself, it's great to work with.

Did you go for the Ratio or Slater's picket fencing for the other side of the road?

• RMweb Gold

Ratio spear but I'll use Slater's for the valencing on the footbridge as I was very happy with its use on the down station building.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Prior to working the up perishables from Exeter, the 47xx was used on local duties. There are several published shots on the Devon sea wall working similar duties. Here is the earliest shot I have from the 1920's, that has not been published, to my knowledge. It came from a collection of family snaps.

attachicon.gif47xx teignmouthb.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

Mike

Very similar one on the 47XX Newbild website.....

Like this one.  Thanks for sharing.

• RMweb Gold

There's no way the T9 would go up Dainton 6 + baggage van on it's own so the local Shed Master pull on something that would pull the lot up should the T9 fail. :mosking: ]

post-8647-0-48606300-1465500354_thumb.jpg 

• Like 11

Guest 7007GreatWestern

Good Burghers of Brent,

I hesitate to contribute to this esteemed thread lest I be accused of taking ANTB off on a tangent......imagine that?

In answer to M.I.B, County of Yorkshire and others concerning the postwar livery applied to 47xx locomotives: In most of the (rare) photos I have seen of the class in the postwar period they are so covered in filth that it's pretty well impossible to identify a livery!

I have however found one photograph of 4707 in G-coat-of-arms-W livery as per the Heljan model. In "Churchward Locomotives" by Messrs Haresnape & Swain it is seen at Old Oak in March 1946 sporting said livery. The photographer was H.C. Casserley no less.

Stationmaster (sometimes of this parish) also mentioned that some firemen had a distinct hatred of working on them. That ties in with a caption in the same book which claims "a proposal to fit screw reverse to the class was made in the early 50s but not pursued."

As has been noted elsewhere that the 47's were synonymous with vacuum fitted freight, most of which happened to run at night. They were equipped with a ruddy great 4-cone ejector for that very purpose unlike any GW freight type. Even the "Manors" didn't get that particular gadget!

According to Andrew Wilson's excellent article "Churchward Great Western 7MTs - The 4700 class 2-8-0s" (Steam Days, October 1999) these vacuum freights were given unofficial names by enginemen. "The Cocoa" and "The Bacca" ran from London to Bristol. "The Northern Flash" from London to Birkenhead. However, "The Tamar" and "The Flying Pig" ran between London and the West Country.....quite possibly passing through a certain junction station nestling in the South Hams. How much excuse do you need Rob?  ;-)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

According to Andrew Wilson's excellent article "Churchward Great Western 7MTs - The 4700 class 2-8-0s" (Steam Days, October 1999) these vacuum freights were given unofficial names by enginemen. "The Cocoa" and "The Bacca" ran from London to Bristol. "The Northern Flash" from London to Birkenhead. However, "The Tamar" and "The Flying Pig" ran between London and the West Country.....quite possibly passing through a certain junction station nestling in the South Hams. How much excuse do you need Rob?  ;-)

I certainly heard the Flying Pig moniker applied to 4700s.

• RMweb Gold

If you type GWR 4707 into Google images you get some nice photos including this beauty off Cliff Williams workbench.Stunning.

post-126-0-84560500-1465503492.jpeg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 6