A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

That last photo is a wonderful overview of the Devon countryside. The grass looks so natural. I don't thin you've shown this angle before, but you can see a large sink hole behind the station. Lovely Grange too..

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Grass...  Far be it from me to be even slightly critical of such a superb layout,  but....

Would the grass each side of the railway fence be the same ? Either the railway side would be kept short to minimise fire risk, or the field side would be more unkempt due to animal feeding, or there might be gorse or other shrubs / wild flowers.

• RMweb Gold

Far be it for me to be facetious but the grass the other side of the railway has been well trampled by various railway photographers over the years ,much to the land owners disgust.Will look into it Stu.

• RMweb Gold

Far be it for me to be facetious but the grass the other side of the railway has been well trampled by various railway photographers over the years ,much to the land owners disgust.Will look into it Stu.

Isn't that wot dogs leave on the pavement for you to tread in.  :spiteful:

• RMweb Premium

In 1947 after the cold winter, fortunately the summer was warmer and as a twelve year old spotter was by that time quite familiar with GW locos, at least the tendered variety. That summer in the Lane at North Road, I and the many other spotters around were surprised by a 47xx on a passenger train. Up till then, they had only been seen at Laira presumably due to their night work. Couldn't tell now what number it was or on what train, just the usual number of carriages, definitely GW before BR. Quite exciting at the time.

As had been mentioned, they had to come off either at Keyham or Laira and I believe, it was a long time ago, that there was an engine ready to take it on to Cornwall.

Brian.

The back lane at North Road; excellent. There was a little wall to sit on at the house on the corner I seem to remember.

Phil

Hi all. Currently on Eagle Island, West Vancouver. For those of you unsure about the time difference, it's time for a refill!

attachicon.gifIMG_20160608_035053.jpg

Pah!

Are you meeting John Dew of the parish whilst you are there. He has a boat I believe.

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

We can always rely on Brian (and others) for his I woz there nostalgia whilst some of us were just a lad when steam was abolished.

My memories are all I can contribute these days so thanks for the reminders.

Brian.

If you go on Google Earth and pop in Plymouth Railway Station then go to Street View, you can go to Restormal Terrace (corner) and see the actual spotting place.

I used to go there but more often went up to the little wall at the end of the sidings by the Eye Hospital. Used to get loco's stabled there in the summer, waiting to pilot stuff on the up trains. Also it was exciting waiting to see what would come out of Mutley Tunnel on those Summer Saturdays.

Very happy days.

Phil

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Depends on the time of year for the railway side and the landowner for the other side.

• RMweb Gold

http://www.mremag.com/index.php/component/banners/click/8

.......... CWith their sepia & white cameras

• RMweb Gold

Grass...  Far be it from me to be even slightly critical of such a superb layout,  but....

Would the grass each side of the railway fence be the same ? Either the railway side would be kept short to minimise fire risk, or the field side would be more unkempt due to animal feeding, or there might be gorse or other shrubs / wild flowers.

I had a word with the land owner on the field side and he agreed for me to add some gorse and wild flowers, photos anon.A very satisfying job and easy with the use of quality scenices available today.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

5 points to the first RMwebber to double head a Night Owl and a King...

Won't be at my end of the GW world - perhaps in the Far West where there be hills......

• RMweb Gold

As it happens I have photographic evidence of the culprit.

post-126-0-78549400-1465404011_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Well I've just see the young lady who lives next door sunning hers, shame shes a 30A  :umbrage:

Back on track, I've just pick up a mint G W R Grange off fleebay at a good price this AM,  I just need to search out a new name for it out of  Ian Sixsmith book.

Look to the top left of this post. Good name there!