A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

There's someone who follows this thread who models the Teign Valley. Here's an old previously shewn photo.

attachicon.gifpost-126-0-71600800-1368280473.jpeg

attachicon.gifpost-126-0-71600800-1368280473.jpg

That's a lovely shot Robin. Do like the colour version as it brings it to life.

I've six POW Sides ones to finish and a few more waiting in the aisle's.

Must say there's been some lovely photographs on ANTB recently.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

Hmmm, 

I'm 80% sure that I saw a post-war image of a GWR livered 47xx and it was coiffed with the 'GWR' tender branding, not the G-Crest-W as seen here. It wasn't an express passenger loco so why would it have had this livery? Happy to be proved wrong however!

Cheers, 

CoY

• RMweb Gold

Hmmm, 

I'm 80% sure that I saw a post-war image of a GWR livered 47xx and it was coiffed with the 'GWR' tender branding, not the G-Crest-W as seen here. It wasn't an express passenger loco so why would it have had this livery? Happy to be proved wrong however!

Cheers, 

CoY

http://www.ianrathbonemodelpainting.co.uk/gwr-locomotive-liveries-from-1946.php

Absolutely and this highly regarded painter suggests GWR was applied to unlined green engines like the above Grange.However, the 47xx was used on passenger duties too but the immediate post war photos are hard to find.

Thank for the heads up Rob, but my head is still down ! Where's that Railmotor they promised ?

G

• RMweb Gold

The only trouble with those loco's is they ran mainly at night so photo's are few and far between.

Which reminds me I must do some work on my Westwards Models kit I got the last few parts to complete.

• RMweb Gold

The only trouble with those loco's is they ran mainly at night so photo's are few and far between.

Which reminds me I must do some work on my Westwards Models kit I got the last few parts to complete.

I've seen a photo of one on the down Royal Duchy.A few shots in the Ian Allan albums of some in South Devon.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure about them running mainly at night. Since I lived nowhere near the GW Main Line, and the very few GW places I spotted were all in daylight hours, the fact that I saw several of these suggests they were allowed out by day, too. I am sure I saw one inbound to Paddington, while I was standing on Royal Oak platform.

• Like 1

I'm not sure about them running mainly at night. Since I lived nowhere near the GW Main Line, and the very few GW places I spotted were all in daylight hours, the fact that I saw several of these suggests they were allowed out by day, too. I am sure I saw one inbound to Paddington, while I was standing on Royal Oak platform.

They may well have worked up from the West Country (how far west did they work?) in the evenings with trains of perishables for London's markets, but logically, they must have run back during the day sometime, ready for the next evening's train.

• RMweb Gold

Thank for the heads up Rob, but my head is still down ! Where's that Railmotor they promised ?

G

Don't hold your breath Jonesy has lots of stuff to get to the market before that one.

I only ever see one at Southall it was in BRs all over black livery so the number was not visible and there was one shedded there (late 63 I think) which had no number plates, it was a job to bunk at that time I got a thick ear off my old man cos I got caught so decided to err on the side of caution.   

Edited by 81C
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

http://www.ianrathbonemodelpainting.co.uk/gwr-locomotive-liveries-from-1946.php

Absolutely and this highly regarded painter suggests GWR was applied to unlined green engines like the above Grange.However, the 47xx was used on passenger duties too but the immediate post war photos are hard to find.

It is rather difficult to establish when the 47XX began to be used on passenger services.  The RCTS history implies that it was post nationalisation although that work does have its faults and that might be erroneous although there is some logic to the statement as demand and concurrent motive power shortages seem to have peaked in the 1950s.

• RMweb Gold

They may well have worked up from the West Country (how far west did they work?) in the evenings with trains of perishables for London's markets, but logically, they must have run back during the day sometime, ready for the next evening's train.

They seem to have worked balanced night turns and there distribution between depots varied considerably over the years.  The RCTS has them in 1954 with 7 at Old Oak and 2 at Bristol with Laira having retained one until sometime between 1951 and 1954.  From 1954 they appear to have remained at either Old Oak/Southall until withdrawal but the Bath Road allocation ended c.1961.

The Old Oak allocation of 7 seems quite logical suggesting possible balanced turns to Bristol, a lodge turn to Laira and another to Wolverhampton or thereabouts.  The two lodge turns would account for 4 engines (two out and two back each night while any Bristol turns would have been, probably, more flexible hence their appearance on van trains.  One engine would presumably have been spare to cover works and would likely to have been made available for traffic use in the summer - that would fit with one appearing on 'The Royal Duchy' which I believe was an Old Oak turn as far as Plymouth (or possibly Newton) although i don't know what the balance would be  - effectively on the lodge turns there would be an interval of at least 13 hours between arrival off the outward working and going off shed for the return as - as far I can establish - the crew got the minimum of 12 hours rest.  Thus an engine working out overnight would not be able to return with its own crew the next morning.

I know that Firemen had a distinct hatred for the 47XX on passenger turns - which seem to have been only on Summer Saturdays? - as they were hard work on faster trains and the lever reverse doid not allow the cut-off to be pulled up short (In fact some Drivers were loath to alter it at all while running making the Fireman's job even harder)

PS Answering Brian's question.  They were quite severely route restricted being banned from the Royal Albert Bridge, the Severn Tunnel (not permitted beyond Patchway), and the Gloucester route into South Wales beyond Beachley Jcn, also the North & West between Maindee North and Shrewsbury and between Worcester & Hereford although technically permitted between Worcester and Cutnall Green they were barred between Cutnal Green and Priestfield and over teh Stourbridge Extension Line but they were permitted right through to Birkenhead via Hatton, Shrewsbury and Chester.

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Premium

On the 47XX Build website there's photos of them in the SW on passenger turns pre WW2.

My favovourite shot of one of them is the "Never would have happened ever" in Taunton - a mixed bag of random XP stock incl a restaurant and a CORDON all being dragged back East.

I agree with the comments about the G**W branding.  I also expected "GWR" as it is an unlined engine.   

• RMweb Gold

I've had an email response from Ian Rathbone.

The correct livery would have been plain green with GWR on the tender.However, some may have also still been in shirtbutton livery, filthy too and others could have been in wartime black.What a minefield.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Wartime  black.......

May have to scour Fleaby in 2 years time and look for one to turn black.

I have a green one on order.

I keep promising to halt the black engine collecting......

Thanks for that bit of digging Rob. The question therefore is; has anyone pinged Heljan an email yet? This'll be the most expensive RTR loco I - and most others no doubt - will have purchased to date so it should be 100% correct really!

UPDATE: I shan't link to the image for copyright purposes, but I've just found evidence of our assertion via the Colour Rail website. May 1948. Old Oak. G-W-R on tender. Bingo. 

Looking forward to having one though - the new livery schematics reinforce how much of a beast they were! 5 points to the first RMwebber to double head a Night Owl and a King*...

Cheers, 

CoY

*After sending all the Civil Engineers away to a remote team-building retreat that day!

Edited by County of Yorkshire
  • Like 5

In 1947 after the cold winter, fortunately the summer was warmer and as a twelve year old spotter was by that time quite familiar with GW locos, at least the tendered variety. That summer in the Lane at North Road, I and the many other spotters around were surprised by a 47xx on a passenger train. Up till then, they had only been seen at Laira presumably due to their night work. Couldn't tell now what number it was or on what train, just the usual number of carriages, definitely GW before BR. Quite exciting at the time.

As had been mentioned, they had to come off either at Keyham or Laira and I believe, it was a long time ago, that there was an engine ready to take it on to Cornwall.

Brian.

Edited by brianusa
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

We can always rely on Brian (and others) for his I woz there nostalgia whilst some of us were just a lad when steam was abolished.

More of 6814 entering the station area.

post-126-0-38212600-1465328842_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-05969100-1465328861_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-15078600-1465328879_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-11040600-1465328898_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

We can always rely on Brian (and others) for his I woz there nostalgia whilst some of us were just a lad when steam was abolished.

My memories are all I can contribute these days so thanks for the reminders.

Brian.

• Like 2