A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Rob,

Will you be spoiling us further with a new passenger loco ?

S. Tarryknight

If you're all happy with a straight out the box review/photoshoot.Do I need to with Hatton's shewing their images. :jester:

post-126-0-65788700-1491851303.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

I was less than impressed with "Moving the Goods" from the same publisher.  Its editor is not always noted for accuracy.

Chris

Edit - what  a time to mis-spell "accuracy"!

I thought the pictures were better than the words but definitely worth buying in my view.

Triple-checked for spelling...

• RMweb Gold

Rob,

Will you be spoiling us further with a new passenger loco ?

S. Tarryknight

Stars live in the evening but the very young need the sun, ah ha.Pretty Baby you look so heavenly......

post-126-0-54896500-1491920565_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Well apart from a few well documented niggles Hornby have done a good job of this post war liveried Star.With a bit of work it will be a decent looking layout loco. The fallplate is a bit stiff which is why it's up in the air.I don't like the brass beading and silver bits.As you can see ,12 spokes on bogie.Is this a new Collett tender type modelled ?

post-126-0-78310300-1491921683_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-13541800-1491921708_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-88063600-1491921734_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-07781900-1491921758.jpg

post-126-0-73450300-1491921777.jpg

post-126-0-40474900-1491921797_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

As I have said elsewhere.....

About time too young man, now get it on a proper turn ! ;)

p.s. I believe you will find that the fall plate is fixed

Very nice she looks too Robin. Just unboxed mine and seems much better built than the Lode Star version which I went through 3 of before giving up on getting one with all its parts fitted and in one piece.

Mine seems to be missing its front coupling hook (as in the rendition of the 'real' front coupling hook, not the model tension lock coupling). Has yours got one or is this a general oversight?

Mine's also got a slight kink in the running plate just over the cylinders on one side but not as bad as on some Castles I've seen and think I can live with it.

Just need to give mine a run - bit concerned as one of the slide bars is bent outwards but maybe there's enough flex in the motion for it not to be a problem.

But otherwise it looks great, even the green is not so bad in the flesh!

Edited by BenL

• RMweb Gold

Very nice she looks too Robin. Just unboxed mine and seems much better built than the Lode Star version which I went through 3 of before giving up on getting one with all its parts fitted and in one piece.

Mine seems to be missing its front coupling hook (as in the rendition of the 'real' front coupling hook, not the model tension lock coupling). Has yours got one or is this a general oversight?

Mine's also got a slight kink in the running plate just over the cylinders on one side but not as bad on some Castles I've seen and think I can live with it.

Just need to give mine a run - bit concerned as one of the slide bars is bent outwards but maybe there's enough flex in the motion for it not to be a problem.

But otherwise it looks great, even the green is not so bad in the flesh!

Common fault with the footplate, a gentle bit of bending and pushing it should pop into it's correct position. :butcher:  

• RMweb Gold

Mine's missing too.All that's in the extras bag is the brake rodding and the bronze coloured cylinder pipes.

Mine's missing too.All that's in the extras bag is the brake rodding and the bronze coloured cylinder pipes.

Thanks Robin. On comparing the green with my Tintagel Castle, I noticed that it doesn't have a front coupling hook either! Maybe this is a long-standing Hornby oversight.

As you hinted previously, the Knight's green is not quite as rich or deep as Tintagel's, and is more of a greyer, matt finish. But it looks pretty good and certainly not as insipid as the green on the Hornby GWR Kings I've seen in the shops and had been avoiding in anticipation of the now indefinitely delayed Hatton's version. I think the lining on the Knight is superb, even by Hornby's excellent standards in this area. Just a bit frustrating that the very noticeable route/power disk is not immediately above the number plate as it should be post-war, but not the most difficult thing to fix even if you're like me and wince at taking wet and dry paper and a toothpick to a £100+ loco.

How's yours running Robin? I'll wait til tomorrow to try mine...

• Like 1

Rob's grass looks well worth grazing- there's a rhino somewhere there already, though he's camera-shy.

Has Rob got him safely stabled so as to thwart Rhino Horn smugglers ?

"Thwart"... my favourite word of the week!  Must get round to looking at its derivation.!