SECR Birdcage Coaches

Bill

Not really too worried about it, Bachmann and it's owners can do what they like, but it will not endear them to the paying customer. They can wine and dine who they like on their own time, not turn away the person who keeps them in business! Perhaps we should organise a club that vivifies Bachmann and the products they make, would they put up with that?

MRC's are OK on offering specials etc, as are magazines, but they do not usually attend shows and ban the customer from seeing the goods! and also having access to the staff for questions, which is probably what they are really doing. Some one might ask about delays too much.

I hope this does not spread to other suppliers, other wise we could end up a MRC show in two parts, one for the general public and an exclusive Hall for members only. Please do not take this too seriously, but I have seen other hobbies suffer at times from an elitist group behaving in this way.

None of this reflects on Bachmann having a club to sell special editions, that is a normal commercial practice, but in this case items that were not involved with special offers were put under wraps away from customers, and people who had paid extra were allowed to view them, this is simply bad manners, verging on arrogance to customers. The items in the members only area should have been confined to the special offer items only.

Stephen.

Bachmann have attended many shows this year and at only two of them has the Bachmann Collectors Club had a designated area (Alexandra Palace and Warley). Even then there were plenty of previously unseen, forthcoming models was plenty on the stand perimeter displayed in glass cabinets which were accessible to all, showing the vast range of products available.

Bachmann have attended the following shows in 2016:  

February

Milton Keynes,

Rail Express - Telford,

Model Rail Scotland

March

Alexandra Palace,

York

April  

Bristol

June

DEMU,

Great Central,

Bluebell

August

Midland RailEx

September

International N Gauge show

October

Folkestone

Great Electric Train Show , Gaydon

November  

Spalding

Warley

15 shows, most of which are open to visitors on two days and some on three (Glasgow and York)

At all of these events we engage fully with the visitors and certainly never hide from them. The above list is geographically spread ranging from Folkestone to Glasgow and Bristol to York.

At every show we ensure we have the latest information on availability, price and also items that are no longer in stock in our warehouse.

Our Bachmann Collectors Club membership has grown considerably over the years and our members appreciate being able to talk to members of staff in a less frantic environment. Those of you who have attended Alexandra Palace and Warley in the past will know that it was almost impossible to talk to anyone. There were certainly members of staff in various places around the stand that were accessible to all visitors.

Access to members of the model railway press was available (including RMweb) to gain the images they required and every magazine took that opportunity. All are aware of where all items are in the production cycle and will be reporting back in due course to their readers.

I cannot think of any other ready to run manufacturer of British outline models that gives railway modellers the opportunity to see its latest developments close-up by travelling to as many exhibitions around the country than Bachmann do. Had it not been cancelled we would have been in Newcastle in December. In addition, Bachmann staff attend other shows relating to bus, military and plastic modelling.

Finally I don’t think a complimentary bottle of still water can be classified as wining and dining!

Dennis Lovett

Public Relations Manager

Bachmann Europe Plc

• Like 7

In my job, anyone who suggested giving up a weekend would be lucky if he only got laughed at. Coming up to Xmas, Bachmann staff seem to be present at shows for more weekends than not, which shows a remarkable dedication. In all fairness, that is not unique to Bachmann. A rep. told me not long ago that the club has about 8,000 members, so “we must be doing something right”. I joined the club quite a few years ago and my only regret is that I didn’t do it sooner, even though I have yet to enjoy the delights of the lounge with (I suppose) politically incorrect young ladies draped over models.

It is a guilty pleasure to talk to a Bachmann rep. and mention the Modified Hall. :nono:

• Like 1

Too many adverse comments and they could kick the whole project into the long grass!

attachicon.gifBirdcage Brake 3rd body Winchelsea Beach 21 7 2006.jpg

attachicon.gifBirdcage coach body Winchelsea Beach 10 8 2015.jpg

Yes, we don't want another 'Deangate' scandal (or, if you are either a Mancunian or the person who writes Oxford Rail's web-content, 'Deansgate')!

Very much looking forward to these coaches.  I am sure they will come and I am sure that they will be excellent.

The first pre-Grouping coaches to modern RTR standards.  Bachmann are to be commended.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I think you just have a FOMO (as well as subscribing to conspiracies); Bachmann are offering something for their collectors' club members and it certainly is popular with them and helps drive further membership.

What's a FOMO?

• RMweb Gold

Internetery FOMO means "Fear of missing out".

For us cognoscenti it could be "First (class) Only / Members Only" or more appropriately "First (class) Only / Midlands (region) Only".

First only, Mondays only?

• RMweb Premium

Internetery FOMO means "Fear of missing out".

For us cognoscenti it could be "First (class) Only / Members Only" or more appropriately "First (class) Only / Midlands (region) Only".

Oh I see, thanks guys. No fear here, I'm a member. Just thinks its daft!

Not really too worried about it, Bachmann and it's owners can do what they like, but it will not endear them to the paying customer. They can wine and dine who they like on their own time, not turn away the person who keeps them in business! Perhaps we should organise a club that vivifies Bachmann and the products they make, would they put up with that?

MRC's are OK on offering specials etc, as are magazines, but they do not usually attend shows and ban the customer from seeing the goods! and also having access to the staff for questions, which is probably what they are really doing. Some one might ask about delays too much.

I hope this does not spread to other suppliers, other wise we could end up a MRC show in two parts, one for the general public and an exclusive Hall for members only. Please do not take this too seriously, but I have seen other hobbies suffer at times from an elitist group behaving in this way.

None of this reflects on Bachmann having a club to sell special editions, that is a normal commercial practice, but in this case items that were not involved with special offers were put under wraps away from customers, and people who had paid extra were allowed to view them, this is simply bad manners, verging on arrogance to customers. The items in the members only area should have been confined to the special offer items only.

Stephen.

You seem very bitter - were you blackballed by the Club, perchance?! If you want I can put in a good word for you to the committee...

• RMweb Gold

"Vivifies" ?  Now you're talking.Is it at all possible that you might make an effort to be a little more positive rather than bombard us with a succession of jaundiced outpourings ?  I pay for my membership and I enjoy its very modest priveleges.Yes indeed it was rather nice looking at their models and making my only purchase at the show in quiet civilised surroundings and being treated with courtesy in so doing. I can do with a bit more of that and without a mean toned and vindictive backlash from someone who wasn't there.

• Like 2

Unfortunately I was not there due to permanent illness, despite trying to make extra efforts to get there, but it was just impossible, but If I turned up and was turned away from a stand due to requiring membership to view commercially sold items I would not have been best pleased! I could not have joined before arriving as it is the first I have really heard of the club, apart from in passing seeing that they sold collectors editions to members, in the same way that Hornby does.

Stephen

Unfortunately I was not there due to permanent illness,

Whilst sympathising with your predicament you have illustrated that it was, therefore, an irrelevant criticism and is barely at the level of personal opinion. Consider that at many motor shows you are only able to access certain parts of some stands if you have demonstrated that you are a customer or have been invited because someone knows you're able to buy a product. Aston Martin probably wouldn't hordes of finger-pointers on their stand at Geneva. On a more local level, I believe that you have to receive an invitation to go onto the Lego stand at The Toy Fair which is a trade show rather than a public event. 

Hmm, a disenchanted view of a manufacturer's use of its fan club versus quite a vicious post purporting to be a lecture on courtesy.  

I know which one of the two I find most objectionable, but neither is on topic and all this falling out is simply depressing, so, could we please stop the personal attacks and get back to the happy subject that is this excellent forthcoming release?

Anyway at least we have the photos to see, and the coaches look fine so far.I hope Bachmann and others consider more production of early types of coaches in general. Some LBSC coaches would be nice, as would very much earlier SECR types, but I suspect sales would never justify the manufacture.

I’m sure Bachmann is waiting to see how the Birdcages sell before doing anything more pre-grouping. Judging by the enthusiatic reception the EPs have been getting, they might sell rather well. If so, we might get more. Something for the LBSC Atlantics to pull? I dare say most who part with cash for one or two would welcome coaches too. We also have a GNR Single in the pipeline and a GNR Atlantic – some antiques for them to pull would be welcome too but I think we shall have to wait until the Birdcages sell quickly. They will, won’t they? I know I’ll do my bit.

I’m sure Bachmann is waiting to see how the Birdcages sell before doing anything more pre-grouping. Judging by the enthusiatic reception the EPs have been getting, they might sell rather well. If so, we might get more. Something for the LBSC Atlantics to pull? I dare say most who part with cash for one or two would welcome coaches too. We also have a GNR Single in the pipeline and a GNR Atlantic – some antiques for them to pull would be welcome too but I think we shall have to wait until the Birdcages sell quickly. They will, won’t they? I know I’ll do my bit.

The advantage of the 60' birdcage coaches is that they ( almost ) always ran as matched sets so are not going to look odd when NOT mixed with earlier stock : a birdcage trio behind an 'H' or a Brighton Atlantic would be quite typical - maybe with a three-set of Maunsells or a loose Third ........ but going back in time ( or to virtually any other railway ) opens up far too many options and is unlikely to be commercially viable for the big boys to consider.

I've always thought that 3-4 locos and 1 type/set of coaches would suffice in relation to each major constituent of the Grouping companies.  This allows for a flying start in RTR with plenty of gaps to be filled by conversions, kit building and scratch building.

Southern constituents tended to have many more sets.  A LB&SCR set would now be my priority for consideration by RTR manufacturers.

We have the E4 in pre-WW1 pre-Grouping guise, and in Grouping guise and BR.  The tooling variations shown by Bachmann H2 Atlantics at Warley show that the same timespan could be represented by Bachmann (effectively the whole life of the class in revenue earning service, 1911-1958), so a set of Brighton coaches that could span these dates would be ideal.

...a GNR Single in the pipeline and a GNR Atlantic – some antiques for them to pull would be welcome too but I think we shall have to wait until the Birdcages sell quickly...

A similar GNR 'antique set' which was also a unit train lurked in service until 1966, and is regularly requested, the Quad-Art. There's even a restored set to scan. Although designed for a very specific inner-sub service, these regularly got out and about in excursion traffic, torturing the passengers bladders; there's a very fine colour pic showing an Ivatt Atlantic with Quad-Arts 'racing' an N2 (the usual traction). Were I a betting man, those would be my pick as 'most likely'.

• Like 3