SECR Birdcage Coaches

Bill

I seem to recall that there was, in either 1967 or 1968, a rather good series of articles on converting Tr-ang GWR clerestory coaches into "Birdcage" stock.

SE&CR panel style was quite distinctive, whether that be 'Ashford Gothic' or the general SER style.

Triang panel styles are a good match for LSWR and, though I have not looked into it, perhaps LB&SCR. 

I am not sure there is anything readily adaptable to SE&CR coaches.

I s'pose you just cut of the surplus clerestory roof, and use the surplus to widen the end, .........!

Yes, a good point is that the Triangs are narrow - an 8' wide coach.

Working on some freelance bodies using the Triangs and, setting them down beside the Ratio GW 4-wheelers, the extra width of the Ratio coaches makes them look a lot bulkier in comparison.  

I remember those articles. They were written by Terry Gould and they were quite accurate for the day. The best you could probably get without totally scratchbuilding. Even the Roxey plastic kits weren't available then.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67897-southern-coaches-from-old-triang-clerestorys/

Jason

I was joking about cutting the Clerestory about, but yes people did a lot with them, and had far more fun than sitting around waiting for the boat from Hong Kong..........Broad Gauge, only seen the Ratio kit done for that.

Stephen

SE&CR panel style was quite distinctive, whether that be 'Ashford Gothic' or the general SER style.

Triang panel styles are a good match for LSWR and, though I have not looked into it, perhaps LB&SCR. 

I am not sure there is anything readily adaptable to SE&CR coaches.

The Triang clerestories are not a great match for LSWR (although better than SECR).  They are a good match for the LBSCR, though. 

Chris KT

Yes, a good point is that the Triangs are narrow - an 8' wide coach.

Working on some freelance bodies using the Triangs and, setting them down beside the Ratio GW 4-wheelers, the extra width of the Ratio coaches makes them look a lot bulkier in comparison.  

8 foot wide was typical of many pre-group coaches, including the SECR , LSWR & LBSCR.

Chris KT

• 2 weeks later...

8 foot wide was typical of many pre-group coaches, including the SECR , LSWR & LBSCR.

Chris KT

Thanks, Chris, that is useful.

One of the difficulties with using the Triangs for the GW clerestories is that some of the prototypes were 8' wide, and others 8'6"!

It is good to know that these difficulties do not crop up in the cases you mention.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

............. and yesterday's announcements from Bachmann adise us that the birdcage coaches are ..................................................................................... STILL in the drawing office at Barwell !

Sorry you are slightly incorrect in that is the Graham Farish N gauge versions that are in the drawing office not the Bachmann 00 versions as applicable to this thread which are at the livery sample stage and they are making every effort to ensure that the livery application is as high a quality as possible.

Sorry you are slightly incorrect in that is the Graham Farish N gauge versions that are in the drawing office not the Bachmann 00 versions as applicable to this thread which are at the livery sample stage and they are making every effort to ensure that the livery application is as high a quality as possible.

Sorry duff information ......... what ? - on the internet ? - surely not ! ..........................

• RMweb Gold

............. and yesterday's announcements from Bachmann adise us that the birdcage coaches are ..................................................................................... STILL in the drawing office at Barwell !

You really must be reading a different version of RMweb from mine. You've already made the same remark about the H2. This is the relevant bit of what Andy Y posted yesterday.

Artwork Stage (Barwell)

22T Double Bolster wagon (exclusively for TMC)

22T Plate wagon (exclusively for TMC)

Class 438 / 491 4TC (exclusively for Kernow)

WD Warflat

SECR Birdcage coaches

LBSCR H2 Class 4-4-2

• RMweb Gold

At a RRP now of £64.95 I am expecting something exceptionally exquisite.

Pretty much what I was expecting following the LMR Inspection Saloon and WR Auto-trailer.

If they are to the same standard, and allowing for a modest retail discount, they'll be fine.

Then again, I only want one set, and it's definitely "want" not "need". :jester:

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

At a RRP now of £64.95 I am expecting something exceptionally exquisite.

Just cancelled my order, the price of the items went up last year as well. For a model without factory fitted lighting it represents poor value for money. I still find them expensive, but at least for £55 you can get a Hornby Pullman with lights. It's a shame but that's life! 

• RMweb Gold

Just cancelled my order, the price of the items went up last year as well. For a model without factory fitted lighting it represents poor value for money. I still find them expensive, but at least for £55 you can get a Hornby Pullman with lights. It's a shame but that's life! 

But I've already got over a dozen Pullmans with lights and, whilst the table lamps are very nice and visible in daylight, it wouldn't bother me if they didn't work.

I never intend to run a night-time scenario, so having lights in anything else represents (for me) a pointless gimmick that I don't want and wouldn't pay for. 

John

• Like 1

I ordered mine from Hattons during their Bachmann price guarantee pre-order saga. Hattons did not guarantee the prices of the birdcage coaches so I was expecting them to go up. Hattons have just sent me a note saying that the recommended retail price is £64.95 per coach and their price is £55.21 which is the lowest any retailer can sell them for. I am not sure whether there is much point in pre-ordering models. I did not pre-order the Hornby ex LSWR coaches but I still obtained them at the same price.

I have ordered the coaches in SE&CR livery to go with my Wrenn R1, my Bachmann C class and the Hornby H class which I am planning to buy. I wonder whether the birdcage coaches will come out before the H class.

I ordered mine from Hattons during their Bachmann price guarantee pre-order saga. Hattons did not guarantee the prices of the birdcage coaches so I was expecting them to go up. Hattons have just sent me a note saying that the recommended retail price is £64.95 per coach and their price is £55.21 which is the lowest any retailer can sell them for. I am not sure whether there is much point in pre-ordering models. I did not pre-order the Hornby ex LSWR coaches but I still obtained them at the same price.

I have ordered the coaches in SE&CR livery to go with my Wrenn R1, my Bachmann C class and the Hornby H class which I am planning to buy. I wonder whether the birdcage coaches will come out before the H class.

The Bachmann N class has also been done SECR, so has the Hornby Terrier, if you wish to complement the collection.

Running in the same area is the EKR Adams Radial by Oxfordrail. I feel myself doing a pre-grouping Kentish Layout some day.

I have 2 rakes of Birdcages on order (SECR and early BR), getting pricy but what I really want.