SECR Birdcage Coaches

Bill

Engineering prototype pics up on the Bachmann website.

http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/details.php?id=332

Interesting!  Roughly half way through the build of these sets the design of the first class saloon in the lav'y compo was changed.  Earlier coaches had: quarterlight/door/2 x large saloon windows, whereas later vehicles had; quarterlight/door/1 x large saloon window/droplight/quarterlight.  When I saw an engineering prototype at Butterley in August the compo matched the earlier type but in these pics it's the later type.  So on the face of it Bachmann have essayed both versions.  I hope they settle on the later type because, a) I prefer it and b), more importantly, the later type is needed for Pull-Push set 660.

Chris Knowles-Thomas  

Yep, according to the latest Bachmann Times they’re at the artwork stage. The Stanier Mogul, the Wickham Trolley, the Thompson coaches, the Coal Tank, the Class 450 and the Class 70/8 are all in production. Do you think I could annoy Dennis Lovett by complaining that too much is being produced all at once? :D

• RMweb Gold

Yep, according to the latest Bachmann Times they’re at the artwork stage. The Stanier Mogul, the Wickham Trolley, the Thompson coaches, the Coal Tank, the Class 450 and the Class 70/8 are all in production. Do you think I could annoy Dennis Lovett by complaining that too much is being produced all at once? :D

You mean Teflon Man ? Not a chance....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

They ventured out to Folkestone over the weekend !!

Did anything else make it to Folkestone? Webb coal tank? Brighton Atlantic?

John

Edited by it's-er

• RMweb Gold

That's definitely the early version of the compo ! ......... and it certainly looked to be the 'improved ventilation' version on the website ...................................................

Are they, perhaps, going to do both variations, according to the livery applied?

John

Are they, perhaps, going to do both variations, according to the livery applied?

John

If so, impressive on Bachmann's part.

I wonder if the bogies will be available as accessories.  An 8' Fox, for that is what I take it to be, with or without foot boards, might prove a very useful thing. 

• 1 month later...

......... but conspicuous by their absence at Warley !

They were on display at Warley......................................

.......................................... But only on view in the members area !! ?

I would have thought that Warley was the place to get MAXIMUM publicity for a forthcoming release.

They were on display at Warley......................................

.......................................... But only on view in the members area !! ?

I would have thought that Warley was the place to get MAXIMUM publicity for a forthcoming release.

Did anyone check that the member's area didn't have "Drawing Office" crossed out on the doors....?

Just read about the Bachmann Collectors Club, I will not complain, it is serious stuff as they charge you to buy model railways at full prices. Everybody to their own, but I for one would not buy from a company who demands extra money to sell things, perhaps running this is why they are so slow to make goods available to normal customers.

Guest spet0114

Are Bachmann seriously restricting the stands displays to members only, of what club exactly, they must be barmy! If it is true they are going to get a strong letter about it, keep people out and they do not buy the goods!.......

Only letters from club members will be read.

• RMweb Premium

No but I enjoyed the caviar blinis and Krug 63.

I knew there had to be some rational explanation for the increase in prices pre Brexit!

I think the members area is a serious error. Pretensions of big business where corporate clients are wined and dined and your latest wares are shown to them. This doesn't work in model railways , because there is no corporate client just a lot of ordinary guys wanting to see what's new. So to restrict viewing to those in the club is really a bit silly. As has been pointed out you really want to reach the maximum number of enthusiasts , whether they are card carrying members or not.

I knew there had to be some rational explanation for the increase in prices pre Brexit!

I think the members area is a serious error. Pretensions of big business where corporate clients are wined and dined and your latest wares are shown to them. This doesn't work in model railways , because there is no corporate client just a lot of ordinary guys wanting to see what's new. So to restrict viewing to those in the club is really a bit silly. As has been pointed out you really want to reach the maximum number of enthusiasts , whether they are card carrying members or not.

I think you just have a FOMO (as well as subscribing to conspiracies); Bachmann are offering something for their collectors' club members and it certainly is popular with them and helps drive further membership.

What's all the fuss about ? It's a small perk for Collectors Club members. Andy Y has posted photos of most of the stuff in there anyway. I seriously doubt anyone will refrain from buying an item because they were not allowed into the members lounge for a sneak preview.

For me, it's a pleasant way of having a one to one chat with the guys from Bachmann away from the 'rugby scrum' of the public part of the stand. Join, don't join. It's your choice, but you can't complain about missing out on the benefits of membership if you choose not to join.

• Like 1

Not really too worried about it, Bachmann and it's owners can do what they like, but it will not endear them to the paying customer. They can wine and dine who they like on their own time, not turn away the person who keeps them in business! Perhaps we should organise a club that vivifies Bachmann and the products they make, would they put up with that?

MRC's are OK on offering specials etc, as are magazines, but they do not usually attend shows and ban the customer from seeing the goods! and also having access to the staff for questions, which is probably what they are really doing. Some one might ask about delays too much.

I hope this does not spread to other suppliers, other wise we could end up a MRC show in two parts, one for the general public and an exclusive Hall for members only. Please do not take this too seriously, but I have seen other hobbies suffer at times from an elitist group behaving in this way.

None of this reflects on Bachmann having a club to sell special editions, that is a normal commercial practice, but in this case items that were not involved with special offers were put under wraps away from customers, and people who had paid extra were allowed to view them, this is simply bad manners, verging on arrogance to customers. The items in the members only area should have been confined to the special offer items only.

Stephen.

What's all the fuss about ? It's a small perk for Collectors Club members. Andy Y has posted photos of most of the stuff in there anyway. I seriously doubt anyone will refrain from buying an item because they were not allowed into the members lounge for a sneak preview.

For me, it's a pleasant way of having a one to one chat with the guys from Bachmann away from the 'rugby scrum' of the public part of the stand. Join, don't join. It's your choice, but you can't complain about missing out on the benefits of membership if you choose not to join.

So an exclusive MRC show for people who don't like the "rugby scrum"..............nice way to refer to the customers who keep them in business

Edited by bertiedog