SECR Birdcage Coaches

Bill

• RMweb Premium

............. Hattons have just sent me a note saying that the recommended retail price is £64.95 per coach and their price is £55.21 which is the lowest any retailer can sell them for. I am not sure whether there is much point in pre-ordering models. I did not pre-order the Hornby ex LSWR coaches but I still obtained them at the same price.

Although I understand why you are saying that, there may be some dangers in not pre-ordering.

Firstly, if a model is particularly popular on release, you may miss the opportunity to get one. The original SECR C Class sold out in under two weeks at any store I could find, and the later simplified livery one sold out within 3 weeks at most stores. I could see the SECR livery bird cage coaches going the same way if the production run is relatively short. And if a model comes out just as you have gone on holiday, you computer crashes irreparably or you have gone into hospital....... Well you could well miss out.

Secondly, if enough people decide there is no point in pre-ordering then the manufacturer may have a false view on demand. He may reduce the number of models being made (and then see the first point coming into force) or may even decide there is not sufficient demand to warrant make the model at all and so withdraws it.

Pre-ordering seems to carry no risks. You don't pay until the model is available for dispatch. You can cancel if prices rise during the wait for release.

• Like 1

But I've already got over a dozen Pullmans with lights and, whilst the table lamps are very nice and visible in daylight, it wouldn't bother me if they didn't work.

I never intend to run a night-time scenario, so having lights in anything else represents (for me) a pointless gimmick that I don't want and wouldn't pay for. 

John

Point taken, however my point is that one can justify that price if they have additional features such as lights and passengers installed.  

Very informative  information on this site, know it some years , it changed a bit since i visit a few years ago, but there's more added since.

For who is interrested in SR trainformations, take a look on this site

www.maltoni.co.uk/formations.html

Well, at the tender age of 25, unless the universe strikes me down, I've got time, I can wait. :) I only stuck the Birdcage carriages on preorder in November so the wait doesn't seem quite so long to me haha.

I was only 25 when I ordered the Birdcages. Must go, got to collect my pension.

Edited by Fireline

Well, at the tender age of 25, unless the universe strikes me down, I've got time, I can wait. :) I only stuck the Birdcage carriages on preorder in November so the wait doesn't seem quite so long to me haha.

The Bachmanns will most probably still arrive well in advance of me building my Mallard 3 coach set that was bought in the last century and will definitely have a better paint finish than I can achieve!(but no conflict anyway as they are different coaches....)

At a RRP now of £64.95 I am expecting something exceptionally exquisite.

Out of idle curiosity, how come these are now a full £20 more expensive than the Hornby ex-LSWR stock? Hornby's offering looks jst as exquisite to my untutored eyes.

I understand the economics behind higher rrp on the inspection saloons and autocoaches because sales volumes will be lower, but should that apply to coaches which most will buy by the set load?

• Like 1

Out of idle curiosity, how come these are now a full £20 more expensive than the Hornby ex-LSWR stock? Hornby's offering looks jst as exquisite to my untutored eyes.

I understand the economics behind higher rrp on the inspection saloons and autocoaches because sales volumes will be lower, but should that apply to coaches which most will buy by the set load?

Possibly the Bachmann coaches have refinements that the Hornby ex-LSWR stock do not, like wheels that go round.

• RMweb Premium

And they'll have proper lamp irons that I can hang my tail lamps on.  I'm currently working my way through my Hornby ex-LSWR coaches carving off the solid moulded ones from the underframe and fitting 'proper' ones fashioned from staples.

They do sound like they'll be worth the price tag, and unless you're a collector of all liveries, you should only need 3 :) I noticed Hattons email said something like "this is the lowest price retailers can sell at" but they so far seem to be the only retailer that have raised their prices...

Edited by GreenGiraffe22

They do sound lilentheyll be worth the price tag, and unless you're a collector of all liveries, you should only need 3 :) I noticed Hattons email said something like "this is the lowest price retailers can sell at" but they so far seem to be the only retailer that have raised their prices...

Or a train of 2 3-sets, i.e. 6!

Possibly the Bachmann coaches have refinements that the Hornby ex-LSWR stock do not, like wheels that go round.

I thought you were joking ... then I read the ex-LSWR thread!!

... still, they are also £20 more than the colletts, hawksworths, maunsells and Bachmann Mk.1s ...

• 1 month later...