SECR Birdcage Coaches

Bill

Don't forget that a number of small-tender T9s spent their summers on the Eastern Section in the thirties and late forties ........ I've never seen any evidence of 700s in the area though.

( I'm still trying to fine-tune my excuse for running an M7 ...... as for the Bachmann 'Nelson' ................................ ? .................... )

The relevant Bradley book on LSWR locos says that they worked excursions to the Sussex coast in the 1930s. You'll need a set of ancient (and probably not very salubrious) 6 wheeled LSWR coaches to go behind it. 

• Like 2

The relevant Bradley book on LSWR locos says that they worked excursions to the Sussex coast in the 1930s. You'll need a set of ancient (and probably not very salubrious) 6 wheeled LSWR coaches to go behind it. 

All Southern six-wheelers - salubrious or not - had gone to the great fiddle-yard in the sky by the time of my layout, unfortunately ( nothing new about Global Warming ! ). Least salubrious at the time would have been a long set of ( Branchlines ) birdcages with a sprinkling of ( Hornby ) 58' rebuilds dragged out of Rotherhythe Road once a year to take the 'Hoppers' on 'Holiday' ....... but probably NOT behind a 700 ( or a Nelson or a Flannel Jacket ).

Don't forget M7s did get across as far as Tunbridge Wells West, although they were much less popular than the H Class.

Apparently three M7 were temporarily at Faversham in 1953 to work a shuttle service to Herne Bay after the floods at the end of January/ beginning of February.

All Southern six-wheelers - salubrious or not - had gone to the great fiddle-yard in the sky by the time of my layout, unfortunately ( nothing new about Global Warming ! ). Least salubrious at the time would have been a long set of ( Branchlines ) birdcages with a sprinkling of ( Hornby ) 58' rebuilds dragged out of Rotherhythe Road once a year to take the 'Hoppers' on 'Holiday' ....... but probably NOT behind a 700 ( or a Nelson or a Flannel Jacket ).

Whilst we'd all love to travel in some SECR coaches (and I did just that the other week at the KESR), such coaches were the reason why my Grandparents decided to start travelling to the Kent coast by coach. (Or as my grandfather would describe them, 'charabanc'). 

• Like 1

Whilst we'd all love to travel in some SECR coaches (and I did just that the other week at the KESR), such coaches were the reason why my Grandparents decided to start travelling to the Kent coast by coach. (Or as my grandfather would describe them, 'charabanc'). 

I hope you're not confusing the K.E.S.R.'s beautifully restored S.E.C.R. coach bodies on S.R. parcels van chassis - WITH AUTHENTIC PARCELS VAN SUSPENSION - with anything that might have been running on the Southern in your grandparents' day !!?! ( ditto Bluebell, Isle of Wight etc.) They'd have travelled in bogie vehicles such as the Bluebell's 3363 which might have been more than a little musty if they weren't in regular use ( or maybe if they were ) and - without lavatories for the majority - they couldn't be pulled over at the roadside if someone 'needed a bush' !

They've got a couple of bogie vehicles as well - a 54' brake vehicle (which was in use when I visited the other week) and a rather nice saloon. The brake vehicle is more typical of the long sets used by holidaymakers. 

Mind you, I travelled in a Pacer yesterday that nearly launched itself in to the air going over a dodgy bit of track. So much for progress. 

They've got a couple of bogie vehicles as well - a 54' brake vehicle (which was in use when I visited the other week) and a rather nice saloon. The brake vehicle is more typical of the long sets used by holidaymakers. 

Mind you, I travelled in a Pacer yesterday that nearly launched itself in to the air going over a dodgy bit of track. So much for progress. 

Well, the Pacer chassis was developed from a goods wagon design - not even a parcels van - so what d'you expect ?

• RMweb Gold

I remember a class 142 Pacer that went into the air at Ferriby over a facing point on a Hull to York journey a couple of years ago. It was literally shocking! :O

Regards,

Rob.

I hope you're not confusing the K.E.S.R.'s beautifully restored S.E.C.R. coach bodies on S.R. parcels van chassis - WITH AUTHENTIC PARCELS VAN SUSPENSION - with anything that might have been running on the Southern in your grandparents' day !!?! ( ditto Bluebell, Isle of Wight etc.) They'd have travelled in bogie vehicles such as the Bluebell's 3363 which might have been more than a little musty if they weren't in regular use ( or maybe if they were ) and - without lavatories for the majority - they couldn't be pulled over at the roadside if someone 'needed a bush' !

Speaking as one of the people who has helped restore at least two of those coaches, I have some bad news to break. The suspension isn't authentic parcels van on all of them. Some of them have been re-sprung recently with softer, more bottom-friendly springs. In fact, of the current SECR Victorian set, only two of them are on PMV frames. The family saloon and the Birdcage are on their "original" frames. We were approximately 60 years too late to preserve the original frames for the "Ashford" bodies, though!

• Like 4

Speaking as one of the people who has helped restore at least two of those coaches, I have some bad news to break. The suspension isn't authentic parcels van on all of them. Some of them have been re-sprung recently with softer, more bottom-friendly springs. In fact, of the current SECR Victorian set, only two of them are on PMV frames. The family saloon and the Birdcage are on their "original" frames. We were approximately 60 years too late to preserve the original frames for the "Ashford" bodies, though!

Sorry, I stand corrected ! ( or sit-down corrected in greater comfort, perhaps )................. I think you may be a little conservative with 60 years ........?............

Sorry, I stand corrected ! ( or sit-down corrected in greater comfort, perhaps )................. I think you may be a little conservative with 60 years ........?............

I did say approximately! Grounded 1921, rescued 1986. 65 Years.

All  the  IOW  examples  also  have softer  springs  fitted.

All  these  were  Parcel  &  Mail  Van  underframes  these  were  originally  designed  for  passenger  rated  trains  and  built  accordingly.    (rated for  70mph  working)   The softer  springs  are  used  due  to  the weight  difference  in  the  finished  loaded  vehicle,  an  empty  original  PMV  (whatever  the  body)  will  be  a  harsh  ride

Many  railways  produced  both  carriages and  vans  on  similar  or  identical  underfames.  The  use  was  irrelevant

Yes  the  PMV  frames are  later  and  there  was  by  then  no  corresponding  passenger  carriage  but  this  doesnt  make  them  in  any  way  less  suitable.  

The  big  difference  in  riding  in  a  4  wheel  carriage  is  noise,  Because  you  are  not  isolated  from  the  wheelsets  and  brakes  by  secondary  bogie  suspension  all  brake  noise  is  more  noticable,   this  is  more  so  in  a  third  class  vehicle  which  do  not  have  a  double  skinned  or  insulated  floor.   Lack  of  comfort  due  to  the  more  primitive  suspension  compared  to  a  bogie  carriage  is  not  a  problem  at  heritage  railway  speeds,  what  is  prominent  on  the  thirds  are  the  narrower  seats  and  reduced  leg  room,  this  is  due  to  the  standards  of  the  time  rather  than  underframe  construction.

Pete

All  the  IOW  examples  also  have softer  springs  fitted.

All  these  were  Parcel  &  Mail  Van  underframes  these  were  originally  designed  for  passenger  rated  trains  and  built  accordingly.    (rated for  70mph  working)   The softer  springs  are  used  due  to  the weight  difference  in  the  finished  loaded  vehicle,  an  empty  original  PMV  (whatever  the  body)  will  be  a  harsh  ride

Many  railways  produced  both  carriages and  vans  on  similar  or  identical  underfames.  The  use  was  irrelevant

Yes  the  PMV  frames are  later  and  there  was  by  then  no  corresponding  passenger  carriage  but  this  doesnt  make  them  in  any  way  less  suitable.  

The  big  difference  in  riding  in  a  4  wheel  carriage  is  noise,  Because  you  are  not  isolated  from  the  wheelsets  and  brakes  by  secondary  bogie  suspension  all  brake  noise  is  more  noticable,   this  is  more  so  in  a  third  class  vehicle  which  do  not  have  a  double  skinned  or  insulated  floor.   Lack  of  comfort  due  to  the  more  primitive  suspension  compared  to  a  bogie  carriage  is  not  a  problem  at  heritage  railway  speeds,  what  is  prominent  on  the  thirds  are  the  narrower  seats  and  reduced  leg  room,  this  is  due  to  the  standards  of  the  time  rather  than  underframe  construction.

Pete

I think that before the S.E.C.R. four-wheeled vans ( and Southern / B.R. clones ) parcels probably rode on longer ( = softer ) springs than they deserved !

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

The first Engineering Prototypes of the Bachamnn Birdcage Trio C Sets have now broken cover see them along with further information on the sets here on my blog https://grahammuz.com/2016/08/03/Bachmann-update-and-first-pictures-of-the-ex-secr-60-birdcage-stock/

• Like 3

The first Engineering Prototypes of the Bachamnn Birdcage Trio C Sets have now broken cover see them along with further information on the sets here on my blog https://grahammuz.com/2016/08/03/Bachmann-update-and-first-pictures-of-the-ex-secr-60-birdcage-stock/

What's the betting that the Birdcages sneak back into the Drawing Office when no-one's looking? They were in there so long, I'll bet they're homesick now!

Bachmann via Hattons have now said as of 8/8/16 that the coaches should be available in May 2017.......Hmm.... Chinese years perhaps

Stephen

With the huge spate of southern items recently:

(June - Hornby class 71)

July - Hornby Adams radials

August - Hornby LSWR coaches

September - Bachmann/Modelrail USA tanks

October - SECR Terrier and Oxford EKR radial (that will probably be just me)

November - DJM class 71 (I have one paid for and the other Hattons one pending)

I am sure every ones credit cards could do with a rest.

Mind you 2017  could see:

SECR birdcages

H2 Atlantic

Original Merchant Navy

4-TC

A hefty program for sure.

Edited by JSpencer

With the huge spate of southern items recently:

(June - Hornby class 71)

July - Hornby Adams radials

August - Hornby LSWR coaches

September - Bachmann/Modelrail USA tanks

October - SECR Terrier and Oxford EKR radial (that will probably be just me)

November - DJM class 71 (I have one paid for and the other Hattons one pending)

I am sure every ones credit cards could do with a rest.

Mind you 2017  could see:

SECR birdcages

H2 Atlantic

Original Merchant Navy

4-TC

A hefty program for sure.

Not to mention two varieties of cattle wagons from Hornby, an L.S.W.R. brake van from D.J.Models and a B4 tank from Dapol .............. though the latter two have gone rather quiet of late !

I'd pretty much decided that I wouldn't be trying to acquire any of the Bachmann SECR stock when it comes out, much as I like all things Southern my interests tend to lie more to the west and the new Hornby LSWR rebuilds and the forthcoming Kernow gate set pretty much fulfil my needs. Then I visited the KESR last weekend and both saw and rode in the truly magnificent birdcage brake. Damn it! How am I supposed to resist buying model of something that looks so fantastic? Well done KESR C&W dept. 

• Like 2