Pencarrow: nothing to see, move along please.

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

Ive got the ply..

I've gone for 6mm, I thought the 10mm was over the top.

The chap in B&Q was not happy to cut such relatively small pieces and he said he couldn't do the curved ends.  Pahh, I've got a file, we'll be ok.  

There is quite a lot of the 8' x 4' sheet left over

Andy

I can think of a use for two 2' wide strips.

• Like 1

Ive got the ply..

I've gone for 6mm, I thought the 10mm was over the top.

The chap in B&Q was not happy to cut such relatively small pieces and he said he couldn't do the curved ends.  Pahh, I've got a file, we'll be ok.  

There is quite a lot of the 8' x 4' sheet left over

Andy

You mean you didn't get all the sheet cut for making wagons. Would be a nice project for the next year or so making and selling.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Through a chance glance at another thread it was drawn to my attention that David Andrews is taking orders for a handful of his kits. Sounds like many kits won't be produced as the castings stock has been used up.

One of the kits included on the list is the Maunsell N Class (U Class also available).

List here: http://www.locomotivekits.com/html/latest_news.html (thanks to Martin and Paul for the heads-up)

On the basis that lots of other kits are going AWOL and this might be last chance to get one, I've contacted Mr Andrews and put my name down for an N Class.

And before that Mr Banks questions the appropriateness of this loco choice... Lots of photos of them at Bodmin North, on the bank up to Bodmin General and of course at Wadebridge. ;-p

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

And before that Mr Banks questions the appropriateness of this loco choice... Lots of photos of them at Bodmin North, on the bank up to Bodmin General and of course at Wadebridge. ;-p

Also seen at Newton Abbot, Aller Junction and Dainton.....

Extremely tempted by the Dukedog ! Hmmm

D.O.Iwantone

I have his GWR "City of Truro" upstairs in my "project pile", looks like a wonderful kit.  I'm sure the dukedog is reasonably similar.

I'm tempted by the Jubilee, need to find out which version the loco I want is...  Have a few months to ponder.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I promise never to post pictures of point motors, and/or frog switching ever again!

At least nobody has suggested Frog Juicers yet...

I think the Gaugemaster Autofrog is a frog juicer. Does the same job anyway.

Anyway don't spoil our fun everyone is an expert on frog switching we all like to chip in

Don

• Like 2

My Javelin Dukedog build is erratically described on the “What’s on my workbench” thread on WT, and there are some pretty videos on my PD thread, linky thingy below. I believe David Andrews designed it, but stand to be corrected.

Jazz is currently building a Javelin Bulldog on his thread on RMW.

Best

Simon

• RMweb Premium

The observant will note that the Tortoise in the photo above doesn't have an external microswitch. No, I've not changed my mind about fitting them, that job is done.

post-6675-0-96228900-1519424323_thumb.jpg

The Tortoise is driving the set of blades which are next to the red screwdriver. The frog for that turnout is on the next board. The turnout is one of a pair making up a crossing, therefore an extra microswitch will be fitted to the nearer Tortoise and that point motor will therefore switch both frogs in the crossing. Saves a wire having to cross the board joint.

• Like 9

Hi Chris,

Are you going to use the sprung wire supplied to drive the turnouts, or are you going to beef them up a bit. I had to with the ones in the fiddle yard, I had built these using copper clad sleepers and that might have made the blades a bit more rigid than the C&L built ones.

I have yet to power the C&L turnouts, so I cannot give you any advice on these yet.

Martyn.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Chris,

Are you going to use the sprung wire supplied to drive the turnouts, or are you going to beef them up a bit. I had to with the ones in the fiddle yard, I had built these using copper clad sleepers and that might have made the blades a bit more rigid than the C&L built ones.

I have yet to power the C&L turnouts, so I cannot give you any advice on these yet.

Martyn.

This one will be my test bed Martyn. I've now got a selection of sprung wire sizes to try, 0.8mm seems to be recommended a lot, but will try the wire supplied with the point motors first.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Currently on turnout avoidance duties and catching up with email discussions with David Andrews. He's mentioned a motor/gearbox company that I've not dealt with before: MSC, http://www.mscmodels.co.uk/motor-gearboxes.

Whilst stopping short of a recommended unit for the N Class, David says he uses the two-stage MT.

Anyone got any experience of using MSC?

Hi Chris,

Yes I use them and in my opinion they are the best on the market, I have one of their motor g/boxes waiting to go in my 2251 when I finally get round to it. I use the one they stock that was originally from Ron Chaplin and has helical gearing, so smooth and quiet, also they did and probably still do, give you 10% discount if your a member of the guild.

Martyn.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Chris,

Yes I use them and in my opinion they are the best on the market, I have one of their motor g/boxes waiting to go in my 2251 when I finally get round to it. I use the one they stock that was originally from Ron Chaplin and has helical gearing, so smooth and quiet, also they did and probably still do, give you 10% discount if your a member of the guild.

Martyn.

Thanks Martyn. You rate them higher than ABC?

Thanks Martyn. You rate them higher than ABC?

Just as good and possibly cheaper, I fitted one of their larger motors to a 42xx I built, and it's now earning its keep pulling lengthy goods trains around Mr Watermans Leamington Spa, a good endorsement if any.

Martyn.

Another new (to me) supplier found this morning, J and M Hughes: https://www.jandmhughesogauge.com

Not come across them before, looking through their price list they seem to make a fair amount of SR stuff. Apparently have applied to attend Telford trade show this year.

Hi Chris me again,

A good friend of mine has recently brought a SR Queen Mary guards van from the above, it was already built and I must say very good quality for the price, even the bogies had brake shoes and rigging fitted which a lot of suppliers still fail to include.

Martyn.

Currently on turnout avoidance duties and catching up with email discussions with David Andrews. He's mentioned a motor/gearbox company that I've not dealt with before: MSC, http://www.mscmodels.co.uk/motor-gearboxes.

Whilst stopping short of a recommended unit for the N Class, David says he uses the two-stage MT.

Anyone got any experience of using MSC?

Another “yes” here Chris. I have a Crailcrest in my 52xx and it would pull a house down. If old Mr Churchward hadn’t made his locos with wasp-waisted fireboxes, I’d have used a lot more of them. That said, I’ve been very happy with the various gearboxes Brian Clapperton has made (ABC) for motors I supplied, and with Mashima, Maxon & Canon from his catalog. And my Dukedog has a Canon from Billy Connell at Premier, and that works well too. I have a rather psychedelically-purple two stage Ron Chaplin motor which came with my Duchess, which is languishing in the cupboard awaiting new coupling rods.

And as Martyn says, there is a discount for Guild members on MSC products.

I don’t really like fold-ups, but do have a pair of 50:1 ball raced ones from Steph Dale for the Garratt, which I look forward to seeing run. I don’t think I have any more fold-ups.

Best

Simon

• Like 1

“brake shoes and rigging fitted”

Pretty fundamental for a brake van...

Best

Simon

Hi Simon,

I agree, but sadly missing from a lot of coaching stock, and rolling stock incorporating bogies, as you can see this is a pet hate of mine.... : )

Hopefully making a return to the workshop this morning, think mojo' s on its way back fingers crossed......

Martyn.

• Like 2