Pencarrow: nothing to see, move along please.

2ManySpams

• RMweb Gold

Nah, it's still small cos I'm in Cornwall...

But so was the building which means it should be bigger....

But it's only a model, so it's smaller....

But it's 7mm which means it's bigger......

Aaaaggghhhh !!

• RMweb Premium

Don't forget weighbridge and corrugated iron shed is over there too.

Yes, there's a square marked out for the weighbridge. I do note though it seems to be absent in later period shots. Perhaps the GWR tin shed replaced the original weighbridge hut?

Something that I have never understood - after the railbuses were introduced in mid 1964, the WR lifted various little bits of track at this end of the station. Nothing of any consequence, just little bits and pieces which were presumably regarded as redundant, but surely of no scrap value whatsoever. The station was demoted to an unstaffed halt and left to become increasingly derelict and neglected. I could only ever see this as a deliberate attempt to drive away any remaining passengers so that there would be no objections to closure.  When what should have been done was to have a direct and frequent railbus service to Wadebridge (with no exchange platform nonsense) and promote it accordingly - either that, or close North completely and concentrate all traffic at General.

John

Edited by John R Smith

• RMweb Gold

Something that I have never understood - after the railbuses were introduced in mid 1964, the WR lifted various little bits of track at this end of the station. Nothing of any consequence, just little bits and pieces which were presumably regarded as redundant, but surely of no scrap value whatsoever. The station was demoted to an unstaffed halt and left to become increasingly derelict and neglected. I could only ever see this as a deliberate attempt to drive away any remaining passengers so that there would be no objections to closure.  When what should have been done was to have a direct and frequent railbus service to Wadebridge (with no exchange platform nonsense) and promote it accordingly - either that, or close North completely and concentrate all traffic at General.

John

There was a lot of deliberate running down of services at times to facilitate closure. One I knew of was the Much Wenlock to Wellington service where the railway staff were ordered not to enter buildwas station until the Shrewsbury train left to stop passengers wanting to go to Shrewsbury to take the train.

Don

• RMweb Premium

I could only ever see this as a deliberate attempt to drive away any remaining passengers so that there would be no objections to closure. When what should have been done was to have a direct and frequent railbus service to Wadebridge (with no exchange platform nonsense) and promote it accordingly

John

Still happens now! My direct train to Paddington from the Greenford branch has been culled for Crossrail and we get a two minute connection at West Ealing. Even assuming they are on time, it takes longer than that to get over the tiny congested footbridge. Not surprisingly the trains are now very quiet and I wonder if the proposed increase in frequency will be quietly dropped. Although now it is an isolated siding, it is perfect for an auto train in the summer!!

• RMweb Premium

Is this a break from finishing the track laying? It looks good as long as it doesn't get in the way. I do like to be able to sight along the rails to check alignment.

Don

Change of scene Don because key supplies for track laying are tied up with father Christmas and others with Shapeways...