Pencarrow: nothing to see, move along please.

2ManySpams

Gosh, you've all been busy thinking whilst I've been drawing. 

Thanks for that. I am adding it to my files. So there is a benefit to being so slow with the layout

The SWC drawing of the station building doesn't include the canopy or the platform width, so that easy route is out. It does however give the height of the building. 

attachicon.giftmp_9560-rps20161211_120914-2081323339.jpg

90mm

attachicon.giftmp_9560-rps20161211_120941-333776144.jpg

71mm

I also have a postcard of the end of the canopy which is square on - you can tell because all the columns line up behind each other. Given the above dimensions I've therefore come up with the following first stab sketch estimate of the end profile:

attachicon.gifScreenHunter_419 Dec. 11 11.59.jpg

The roofline of the main building is 133mm, so the canopy ridge being 123mm seems about right. The photo also confirms my suspicion that the canopy overhung the platform edge by about a foot. 

So, the platform is some 20' wide at the station building!

I have considered narrowing the platform but that means either scaling down the whole cross section, which means the canopy roofline drops way too far below the station roofline, or keeping the height and squiding the width, which makes the canopy look the wrong shape. 

Overall that make the platform (140mm) and station (130mm) some 270mm wide. Thankfully I've got a minimum space of 290mm on the board

• RMweb Premium

Oddly enough the fascia boards on our bungalow (1920s) vintage are a smidge under 7ins too perhaps a common size.

Don

Interesting..... Roof tiles, hand made and machine made are between 6 1/2 inches and 7 inches. There is probably some historic relevance..

The width of a piglets ar*s or similar

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Interesting..... Roof tiles, hand made and machine made are between 6 1/2 inches and 7 inches. There is probably some historic relevance..

The width of a piglets ar*s or similar

Andy

Dare I ask what your new unit of measurement is called?

• RMweb Premium

Having the platform in place makes marking up a lot easier...

post-6675-0-34462400-1481492487_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-81382400-1481492525_thumb.jpg

The bits that are Bodmin or close enough are easy to lay out, it's where the lack of enough space to do the prototype means there's been compromise (or significant change) that the head has been scratched a lot.

• Like 6

I'm pleased to see that you have marked the position for the tree, which is an essential feature. The other thing that you have to have (eventually) is the two platform barrows, always parked against the awning supports. It's quite a shock to see how big it all comes out in 7mm scale, isn't it - I always used to think of Bodmin North as a very small station.

John

• RMweb Premium

I'm pleased to see that you have marked the position for the tree, which is an essential feature. The other thing that you have to have (eventually) is the two platform barrows, always parked against the awning supports. It's quite a shock to see how big it all comes out in 7mm scale, isn't it - I always used to think of Bodmin North as a very small station.

John

Yes, full size I would need 1.5m x 10m to model it to scale. I've got a good sized  room to build the layout in but to do the whole thing correctly I'd need a barn!

The barrows will certainly be there when I get that far.

Chris, your Ivatt Class 2 tank - is that R-T-R or kit, or scratchbuilt?

I think I will have to have one of those for the layout one day, the only BR steam engine that I ever actually drove, rather than just blagged a ride on. They were a really excellent branch line engine, all the crews that I spoke to loved them. They were on the Wadebridge-Bodmin North shuttle, the Callington branch from Bere Alston, the Torrington to Halwill Junction line, Highbridge to Evercreech Junction, etc etc. Very modern design, with a big roomy cab, excellent visibility, light controls and screw reverse, and all the valve gear and oiling points easily accessible.

John

• Like 1