Pencarrow: nothing to see, move along please.

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

Do you have another picture of the canopy... Is there anything you can do with the angle of the roof and the overall height or the footprint. (maybe compared with the station or an Arial shot). A bit of pythagaros?

Andy

Like the photo in post 4211.... Note to self, finish Reading All of the posts first..

Andy

• RMweb Gold

I bet you wasted your film on GWR stuff didn't you Mike?

I took a couple at Wadebridge (but a couple were of a GW design engine of course), one changing trains at Boscarne and one of an LSWR signal dropping down the bank from Bodmin General towards Boscarne Jcn,  the rest I took that day were at Bodmin Road I think (and only a couple or 3 there - film cost a lot when it was coming out of pocket money).

• RMweb Premium

Ha !

Having recently become a sad canopy valance spotter I have concluded that different railways used different width planks. 4" was used at Aylesbury but, having done some quick sketches, 4" planks is definitely too narrow for Bodmin North.

I took a couple at Wadebridge (but a couple were of a GW design engine of course), one changing trains at Boscarne and one of an LSWR signal dropping down the bank from Bodmin General towards Boscarne Jcn,  the rest I took that day were at Bodmin Road I think (and only a couple or 3 there - film cost a lot when it was coming out of pocket money).

Would be good to see those at some point Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Using a 6in plank sounds right to me. It might be just under that allowing for planing. If it was tongued and grooved as well that would be a bit more off.

However if you have compressed the building at all or reduced the platform width you may need to adjust the canopy. 

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Using a 6in plank sounds right to me. It might be just under that allowing for planing. If it was tongued and grooved as well that would be a bit more off.

However if you have compressed the building at all or reduced the platform width you may need to adjust the canopy. 

Don

The station building and canopy will be full size Don. In marking up the plan I'd assumed the canopy was about the same width as the station building but I'm now trying to pin down some more accurate measurements so I can set the platform width. Luckily I bought a postcard which has the canopy end square on. I'm going to merge this into the drawing I have from the South Western Circle to create a composite.

Computers, scanners and printers are as much a modelling tool for me these days as a craft knife.

Quote:-

"I'm going to merge this into the drawing I have from the South Western Circle. "

Does that mean that you know the prototype platform width? Counting the number of planks and a simple division solves your conundrum! (Or is that just too easy?)

Edit,   If as stated above they are T&G planks, you will need an Apparent width for your representation, ('cos I don't know of a plasticard T&G section! ), 

Edited by DonB
  • Like 1

I see my use of a "smiley with its tongue out" failed miserably in my previous post. Anyway, it seems everyone understood!

It would certainly be nice to know what size timber, or what spacing the planks were. 6" x 1" at 5.5" centres seems eminently reasonable. Does this give a dimension for the platform that is plausible, and if so, is the model going to "look right"?

If the effect will be too much, or too little width, a subtle adjustment of the dimensions, if not the number of planks, can be incorporated into the drawings. Will you be having the valences laser cut?

Best

Simon

Edited by Simond
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Gosh, you've all been busy thinking whilst I've been drawing. 

The SWC drawing of the station building doesn't include the canopy or the platform width, so that easy route is out. It does however give the height of the building. 

post-6675-0-69327100-1481458327_thumb.jpg

90mm

post-6675-0-10160500-1481458379_thumb.jpg

71mm

I also have a postcard of the end of the canopy which is square on - you can tell because all the columns line up behind each other. Given the above dimensions I've therefore come up with the following first stab sketch estimate of the end profile:

post-6675-0-05806100-1481458552.jpg

The roofline of the main building is 133mm, so the canopy ridge being 123mm seems about right. The photo also confirms my suspicion that the canopy overhung the platform edge by about a foot. 

So, the platform is some 20' wide at the station building!

I have considered narrowing the platform but that means either scaling down the whole cross section, which means the canopy roofline drops way too far below the station roofline, or keeping the height and squiding the width, which makes the canopy look the wrong shape. 

Overall that make the platform (140mm) and station (130mm) some 270mm wide. Thankfully I've got a minimum space of 290mm on the board 

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I see my use of a "smiley with its tongue out" failed miserably in my previous post. Anyway, it seems everyone understood!

It would certainly be nice to know what size timber, or what spacing the planks were. 6" x 1" at 5.5" centres seems eminently reasonable. Does this give a dimension for the platform that is plausible, and if so, is the model going to "look right"?

If the effect will be too much, or too little width, a subtle adjustment of the dimensions, if not the number of planks, can be incorporated into the drawings. Will you be having the valences laser cut?

Best

Simon

I'm (stupidly) hoping there's something commercially available for the main strip along the platform length but I suspect that the ends will be best laser cut.

Interestingly the planks must have started out at the strange size of 7" because 37.5 of them in 21' means they are at 6.72" centres. I would have been happier if this dimension had come in at a bit less than 6" (a standard plank size) but no matter how I work it comes out bigger.    

• RMweb Gold

So... 37.5 planks in 21' gives each board as....

you could of course work the other way 37.5 planks at 5.5ins = 17ft 2.25ins  if you feel the 6.75 looks a little big. That way the platform is about 16ft. Just a thought

Don

What  I've not found yet is a photo of the main road with the cafe and she'll garage. Probably doesn't exist.

This doesn't seem to have been a much photographed part of Bodmin town. The Shell garage is now, it seems, a Texaco service station, but I am sure the café has gone. We used to know (and frequent) all the tea and bun establishments which were nearest to any given station (very few country stations having a refreshment room - only Helston and Bude come to mind). There was a brilliant café at Halwill Junction which had a juke box with some pretty good music on it, I seem to remember. A good place to wait for the North Cornwall line connection on a wet day.

John