Pencarrow: nothing to see, move along please.

2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

Nicely painted Chris, did you scribe the stonework or is it a proprietary product ?

G

Thanks chap. Although I scribe a lot of the stonework, that particular stonework started life as the Wills Coarse Stone.

It's been sanded down so that it's not as rough and the telltale stones that stand out as Wills sheet modified in shape. The stones either side of the sheet joins have also been reshaped with solvent and filler.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

All the sleepers need painting first, and the turnouts connecting up and 9' of platform face/edging making...

All of which are jobs I can't do at the moment. Also can't lean over the layout. It's a right pain.

One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.

• RMweb Premium

Overdid it yesterday so lots of nothing today. Have spent 10mins tarting around with the short length of track I ballasted yesterday. Knocked the ballast back a bit and added a few shades to the sleepers.

post-6675-0-90184600-1517845154_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-48281200-1517845170_thumb.jpg

Think that's a bit better.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Would there be more white clay dust around, if the wagons are shunted in and out of the siding?

Possibly but I'll add that when the whole siding is ready. This is just me having a play to see what works in 7mm.

• Like 2

All looking rather Spamilicious, but, don't push yourself Chris, lovely work though. I'm sure we can wait until you really, really feel better.

• RMweb Premium

All looking rather Spamilicious, but, don't push yourself Chris, lovely work though. I'm sure we can wait until you really, really feel better.

Thanks chap. What I can do at the moment is very limited. A spot of painting, some gluing stuff down and a little scenic sprinkling. All has to be near the edge of the board though. So basically there's very little that can be done at the moment, just enough to kill the boredom!

• RMweb Premium

There's quite often a discussion on the forum about colour. Colour of coaching stock, wagons and locos. The discussion normally starts with someone asking about what paint to use for something. Recently it's been about what green is correct for BR(S) coaches.

My own thoughts on the matter are that there isn't a single definitive shade that's right. Mix variations, changes due to varnishing and weather effects are the cause IMO. This doesn't satisfy the folk that want an absolute answer though. No wonder the subject ends up in arguments.

Having overdone the household pottering yesterday and having had a bad night, I've spent the morning looking at colour images of Bodmin North in books. I wasn't that interested in the stock but about the colour of the stonework.

Now the results of my studies are that there's hardly two pictures of the same building that show the stonework the same colour. Shouldn't be surprising really as there are lots of variables in play here, such as:

~ Sunlight. Things are brighter in sunlight than in shade or a cloudy day.

~ Weather. Rain alters the colour of surfaces. Obviously its proximity to Truro means Bodmin gets a lot of rain... ;-p

~ Distance. In close up photos you see the colour variation of every block of stone. The further you get away the less distinct these differences appear and the colour of the surface appears to average out.

~Camera. The settings used on the exposure will effect the outcome - is the shot under or over exposed?

~Film. The film used will affect the colours captured as each type used different emulsions which had recognised colour bias.

~Processing. The way the negatives were processed in the lab and the chemicals / timings used will have an effect.

~Scanning. Images in books are captured from the slide, negative and hard-copy source and again will import some variation depending on how it's done. Plus there will be 'corrections' added by the publisher to take account of.

~Printing. Once the book has been produced it needs to be printed and again each printer and his machinery will impart scope for variation in results.

~Eyes. Of course added to that lot are variations in how each of us sees something.

So where does that leave us in deciding what colour to paint something? Fairly stuffed if we are seeking absolute fidelity as we can't define what we're trying to match.

So I think we can only take a personal judgement on what looks right to us. One man's right will be another's chocolate box and somebody else's right will be another's dull and dowdy. I doubt folk will ever agree on this subject.

I think what's more important though is the overall picture. Getting all the elements (track, buildings, stock, scenics etc) to look as though they are part of a harmonious whole. No one thing really standing out, nothing shouting. To this end I'm staying away from gloss paint and primary colours - which for me includes pure white and jet black. On Pencarrow I'm certainly aiming for an understated, slightly dull finish.

As with the platform wall next to the clay siding, I tend to work with a limited palette of shades of grey, cream, brown and tan. These are mixed on the fly to give subtle variations in colour to avoid a flat uniform finish.

IMO grey is one of the most underrated colours in modelling. Once I've finished a model I routinely give if a distant waft / very light dusting with a grey rattle can or go over with a very dilute wash of grey yuck colour. I did this on the Treneglos scenics and it had the effect of not only dulling everything back but also unifying the whole picture.

The only issues with this approach are that it's difficult to get the same result twice and also explain to others how you did it!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Firstly, Truro is at sea level, Bodmin is stuck somewhere up a hill.

Secondly, we don't get rain - it's just less-dry sunshine (got to keep the emmets coming down !!)

Thirdly, old books about Bodmin are usually in monochrome, so I'm not surprised you find grey to be a suitable colour.  (For really grey, look at photos of Blaneau Ffestiniog...)

Fourthly, we were led to believe it was Damian's green paint that was still wet on Treneglos - now it seems it was your wafting it with grey that was the real reason

Hrumph.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Firstly, Truro is at sea level, Bodmin is stuck somewhere up a hill.

Secondly, we don't get rain - it's just less-dry sunshine (got to keep the emmets coming down !!)

Thirdly, old books about Bodmin are usually in monochrome, so I'm not surprised you find grey to be a suitable colour.  (For really grey, look at photos of Blaneau Ffestiniog...)

Fourthly, we were led to believe it was Damian's green paint that was still wet on Treneglos - now it seems it was your wafting it with grey that was the real reason

Hrumph.

Dear Disgusting of Truro,

Thank you for your missive which is important to us. Taking each of your points in turn.

Rain. I've not yet been to Truro and not had rain. Perhaps that's why OG always takes his pvc coat. Bodmin is on a hill but in my experience does sometimes see proper no-liquid sunshine.

Colour. I know you have only just got electricity down there, and stupidly somebody also gave you all the internet, but we've had colour pictures in books and on the telly for years. Look:

post-6675-0-82553200-1518097543_thumb.jpg

Perhaps if you're good they will let you have coloured pictures too at some point. Or perhaps some colouring pens if that's too much.

Tackygloss. See I knew that would be my fault.

Hope this helps, thank you for your input, it's highly valued by the team. ;-p

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Completely agree about the grey thing. I try to avoid using black paint and the first thing I'd do to anything RTR would be to paint the black bits with something browny-grey. Humbrol 98 being my fave, although a varying mix of 33 and 62 allows for a nice bit of variation.

• Like 1

Chris,

I’d agree with your thoughts, but perhaps would amplify this

“Distance. In close up photos you see the colour variation of every block of stone. The further you get away the less distinct these differences appear and the colour of the surface appears to average out.”

The further away, the less colour, the more grey it all appears. Probably why you like grey.

Stu

I used to be an emmet. Feock (about 50 years ago) for several years, and Trewince (about 10 years ago) for two summers. Loved it. And I do recall days when it didn’t rain.

Best

Simon

• Like 3