• RMweb Gold

The Oxford GWR AA1 toad is now available it's a nice model except it does have several faults with it which I will leave to the experts to give their summary.

I've offered it up to one of the Airfix models and is the same size should any one want to mix and match the ends, for £12.5 its cheap enough to take the razor saw to it. 

• RMweb Gold

You know a brace is two right ?

So you have a brace of braces :-)

Lofty how many have you ordered and will you be correcting them ?.

BTW if you want spare Bachmann body shells for replacement ends there is 15 to buy now at £2 each on fleebay 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-BM6-33-301E-BR-Toad-Brake-Van-Body-W114854-Seconds/310855512819?hash=item48606eb2f3:g:03kAAMXQeKNTPX-5

Lofty how many have you ordered and will you be correcting them ?.

BTW if you want spare Bachmann body shells for replacement ends there is 15 to buy now at £2 each on fleebay 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-BM6-33-301E-BR-Toad-Brake-Van-Body-W114854-Seconds/310855512819?hash=item48606eb2f3:g:03kAAMXQeKNTPX-5

I have one on the way and two more ordered.

Waiting for the first to arrive to assess what it's going to take to improve/correct them.

Bought a new tube of filler in preparation;-/

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Why were 6 wheels brake vans needed ? How common were they ?

Its an older design than the more modern AA21 / AA23 etc. So in their day, there would have been loads of them around. I suspect if you model BR 1950's the answer will be very few.

But for a 1930's layout, such as Henley, there will be quite a few.

• RMweb Gold

As Miss P says, the 6 wheelers were never a majority of toads and were allocated to specific duties that required their extra braking power.  Later 4 wheeled vans were able to equal their braking power and the build was not repeated.  GW toads were solidly built and had long lives, the 6 wheelers lasting well into the 50s.  The authority granted to me by Rule 1 requires one to be allocated to the Cwmdimbath branch which features a 1 in 30 gradient (not actually modelled) between the station and the colliery ground frame.

I can live with it's faults, and it will make a nice change from the larger vans; I am particularly impressed with the separate handrails at this price level, and now I have found that it features basic internal detail as well Ox have a guaranteed sale once they bring out a BR or late GW (small initials) liveried version.  Temptation might get the better of me before this and a re-liveried GW one, heavily weathered, might well turn up branded for Tondu sooner, modelled with the door and rear window open to display a fully detailed interior!

An Ox 4 wheeler is on the list as well!

• Like 3

Well ,my Oxford Fail toad turned up so I set to it with great gusto.

Kinda wished I hadn't.

One thing I learned pretty much straight away is how delicate the chassis is.

Lots of detail and intricate but why go to these lengths when you can't get the basics right ? Bl##dy mad !

Handrails are seperate but plastic and were mishappen straight outta the box.

Be worth an extra couple of quid for Oxford to put wire ones on !

As I was nibbling away at the centre sway links I discovered that whatever plastic Oxford have used it is unbelievably brittle and added to that not even MEK seems to make a strong bond between any bits you might break (yes, I managed to break several pieces)

If you are adding parts from another product/kit MEK seems to work ok.

One of the leaf springs snapped as I removed the sway link and I also managed to slip with my scalpel and cut a brake arm and take out an end sway link.

Was not a happy chappy. Trying to glue the brake arm was where I discovered that the Oxford plastic is not keen on glue. I glued it back in but at some point further in the work it fell off and disappeared into the jaws of the hardwood floor monster never to be seen again despite looking for about 10 mins so Had to make a new one. Grrrr...

The added hangers are from a Parkside Dundas Mink D kit which has spare spring/hangers on the sprue(not used on the D kit)

Probably best just put up the pix and see what you think.

P.S. I didn't bother lowering the end windows.I felt I wouldn't get a good clean finish.

Edit. Pix have appeared all over the place and not in the order of upload. Sorry !

post-16907-0-57956500-1511327318_thumb.jpg

post-16907-0-77715000-1511327380_thumb.jpg

post-16907-0-95073300-1511327653_thumb.jpg

post-16907-0-51381700-1511327716_thumb.jpg

post-16907-0-29743600-1511327849_thumb.jpg

post-16907-0-10608800-1511327996_thumb.jpg

post-16907-0-64585600-1511328055_thumb.jpg

post-16907-0-46152800-1511328112_thumb.jpg

Edited by lofty1966
  • Like 6

I'll need to saw one of my AA3 chassis down the middle, and widen it. Then add compensation or springing, as it will be using P4 wheels. Brittle plastic that doesn't like glue should add to the fun!

How did you remove the lettering?

I'll need to saw one of my AA3 chassis down the middle, and widen it. Then add compensation or springing, as it will be using P4 wheels. Brittle plastic that doesn't like glue should add to the fun!

It looks to me as if a scratch-built chassis would be an easier option for P4 than trying to rebuild the proprietary one, although it looks as if it might be possible to salvage the side-frames by cutting immediately behind them with a razor saw.

It looks to me as if a scratch-built chassis would be an easier option for P4 than trying to rebuild the proprietary one, although it looks as if it might be possible to salvage the side-frames by cutting immediately behind them with a razor saw.

I'd thought of slotting the axle holes in one end, and having a central pivot for the axle to rock on, but if the plastic is brittle that doesn't seem like a good idea. Maybe I'll replace the w-irons with one of Bill Bedford's etches. I'll need to fit grease axleboxes anyway.

If you bridge the gap with plasticard you will probably get away with it.

With all that brake rigging set for 00 though, I am not sure it’s worth it.

Lettering removed by the simple expediency of a glass fibre pen.

Edited by lofty1966

If you bridge the gap with plasticard you will probably get away with it.

With all that brake rigging set for 00 though, I am not sure it’s worth it.

Lettering removed by the simple expediency of a glass fibre pen.

I think the brake rigging may have to go. It probably won't stretch to 28.08mm gauge!

post-7091-0-54289300-1511359850.png

• RMweb Gold

John I've removed the lettering with brake fluid and the paintwork left intact, brush on a smear leave for 15 minutes then remove by rubbing with a cotton bud the lettering will come off with the fluid.

John I've removed the lettering with brake fluid and the paintwork left intact, brush on a smear leave for 15 minutes then remove by rubbing with a cotton bud the lettering will come off with the fluid.

I felt the colour was a too light so resprayed much darker, hence the fibre pen approach

If it turns out to be too light, I was wondering about darkening it with a Letraset Promarker. I've got them in a variety of shades of grey, so it would be good not to damage the paintwork. Not sure how it would work on the surgery needed on the end though.

• RMweb Gold

I felt the colour was a too light so resprayed much darker, hence the fibre pen approach

" Post No 3000" 

I'm spraying mine but trying to preserve as much as possible the original paint surface and only putting on one light coat to save loosing detail which is very fine on this van and my spraying efforts can go seriously wrong,

so far I've buqqered a 30xx body, Hall body, 22xx body, 2 coaches and several LNER wagons as the paint was carp.

Toads in the hole !

A selection of Toads through the years.

Airfix, Dapol, Replica, Hornby 'top link' Bachmann, Latest Hornby, Oxford Rail and an old K's kit awaiting buffers.

No Mainline as they are buried so deep I was scared of unleashing a Balroc!

I am awaiting a D&S kit to wing its way across the Atlantic at some point too.

I tried glazing some of them with Glue n'glaze but they really haven't come out well.

post-16907-0-89633200-1511484261_thumb.jpg

post-16907-0-54413500-1511484377_thumb.jpg

post-16907-0-74465200-1511484430_thumb.jpg

post-16907-0-55123900-1511484498_thumb.jpg

Edited by lofty1966
  • Like 3