• RMweb Premium

Wow - that looks fabulous Robin Q4 seems a long way off though - I guess after such a long wait another year won't hurt!

These combined with the Oxford AA3 will see all the old Ratio ones going to the model railway in the sky.

I do intend to fit working LED lamps to them - but that might need to join the ever growing list of half finished jobs. :-) 

This looks very enticing (I have a year or so to save some spare pennies!), but it's pity about those axleboxes. Hopefully they will correct them before releasing the final version.

The Oxford AA1 looks interesting too.

It's nice when a plan comes together. Well done Neal in fostering this conversation. The enthusiasm around the Oxford and Hornby announcements demonstrates how much enthusiasm there is for some new toads.

From my comments in Andy's Hornby at Warley thread:

... now a Toad with hand rails - imagine that!  What a novelty!  I look forward to one sporting a working red lamp on the tail too - I'm sure some enterprising GWR fans will rig one up.*

* Perhaps it will pass through an incarnation of Brent? Robin?

Edited by Ozexpatriate

I don't understand what that poll message at the top of the page is about.  When I pressed the knob expecting to be given choices, nothing emerged.

On handrails, I think this has been pointed out by Bill Bedford, but if you scale the distance of handrails from the bodywork, then moulding them in with the body work is perhaps not so ridiculous an idea.  Indeed, the ones in the photos above look too far away to me.

Edit:  At least in 4 mm scale or smaller.  7 mm is another kettle of fish of course.  

Edited by HowardGWR

.....On handrails, I think this has been pointed out by Bill Bedford, but if you scale the distance of handrails from the bodywork, then moulding them in with the body work is perhaps not so ridiculous an idea.  Indeed, the ones in the photos above look too far away to me.

Edit:  At least in 4 mm scale or smaller.  7 mm is another kettle of fish of course.

I wonder if how clumsy modellers will cope with the delicacy of the handrails on a Toad?

• RMweb Premium

I don't understand what that poll message at the top of the page is about.  When I pressed the knob expecting to be given choices, nothing emerged.

On handrails, I think this has been pointed out by Bill Bedford, but if you scale the distance of handrails from the bodywork, then moulding them in with the body work is perhaps not so ridiculous an idea.  Indeed, the ones in the photos above look too far away to me.

Think the handrails should be very close to the three vertical stanchions on the cabin sides. Looking at the upside down pic, they don't look too far out. With the handrails painted white but the bits behind painted body colour I think they should look OK.

Looking at the underside, have Hornby adopted an ingenious swiveling truck for each pair of wheels to help it around corners?

Shouldn't there be a tad more brake detail underneath?

John

You'd think so, but on the prototype the bell crank & screw for the handbrake, the bow girders & fulcrum irons are mostly hidden by the wheels,

The only GA I have is for an AA.3 (on 10" x 5" journals) and that shows the long pull rod roughly half-way between the bottom of the solebar and the top of the stepboards. If memory serves, later diagrams have the pull rod very close to the scrap box plating as per Hornby's representation.

Pete S.

• 3 weeks later...

Post #34 by Coach Bogie : the verandah is on the right and the name is in panel number three. This is the same is the Mainline brake vans and the instructions for the Ratio brake van kit. But the Hornby brake vans have the name in panel number two. Which is correct ?

Additional questions : when using the larger 25 inch GW letters how far down should they be. The 16 inch letters have the base of the letter in line with the bottom of the 4th plank down. Is it the same for the larger letters or should they be on the 5th plank down ?

Edited by brian777999

Post #34 by Coach Bogie : the verandah is on the right and the name is in panel number three. This is the same is the Mainline brake vans and the instructions for the Ratio brake van kit. But the Hornby brake vans have the name in panel number two. Which is correct ?

In GWR times, where the name was short enough, the depot branding was usually placed in the penultimate panel at the verandah end. (If the name was long, like 'Severn Tunnel Junc', it was spread over the two middle panels.)

Additional questions : when using the larger 25 inch GW letters how far down should they be. The 16 inch letters have the base of the letter in line with the bottom of the 4th plank down. Is it the same for the larger letters or should they be on the 5th plank down ?

5th plank down for 25".

Thank you. So Hornby got it right but Mainline and Ratio got it wrong : be careful if you are building the Ratio brake van kit.

More confusion :  I think put the number in the wrong place by copying the Mainline brake van. With the verandah on the right I put the number in panel #2 but the Hornby and Ratio instructions have it under the G on both sides ie always in panel #1.  If you Google photos of GWR brake vans then you can see it done either way ?

Edited by brian777999

The positioning of the running number varied according to era.

For a particular era however, I think running numbers would be at the same transverse location, e.g. if it was in the panel adjacent to the verandah on one side, then the number would be in the panel adjacent to the verandah on the other side.

It would not be surprising if there were exceptions.

And we rarely get to see a photo of both sides of the same brake van :  I think I will leave my Ratio brake van as is although I suspect that it may be incorrect. Hornby, Mainline and Ratio cannot seem to agree either so I am in good company.

Edited by brian777999

I have found some notes I made about 5 years ago regarding GWR brake van markings. I got this information from the internet somewhere so perhaps somebody would care to comment. The top  panels are easy : GW on the end panels with the single name beside the G. For the bottom panels : number them from left to right with the verandah being counted as one panel. Then the wagon number will be in panel #2 and the ''20 tons'' will be in panel #4. This does seems to match up with most photos but not all.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Four years after starting the call for a new Toad brake van - we have a choice of three.

The first one from Hornby, to my mind ticks all the boxes of what was required. The two offerings from Oxford..... hmm what to say! I reckon the 6 wheel looks ok; but that 4 wheel with cut outs on the running board looks a bit lame - but its fixable.

So is that it? Are we done? I dare say, another AA diagram might be nice, but perhaps wishful thinking. Hopefully we can get a manufacturer to turn their attention to some new GWR carriages - Toplight anyone?

Are we done?

Yes I think so, even with the tragic Oxfords, we now have AA1, AA3, AA15 and AA19 in RTR, which covers the bases. (The outside-framed AA16 would be nice, but far too niche, being predominantly pre-1920.)

There isn't a single GWR open wagon available in RTR, nor the iconic V6 Iron Mink. An utterly bizarre situation.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A GW open, preferably one that lasted into nationalised service, is an odd omission, less explicable than the lack of non gangwayed coaches that are not B sets.  No other pre nationalisation company is represented in this respect by only a single diagram of BC, though the different lengths mean that they would be a problem to RTR manufacturers.  But an open, properly done and not some generic toy carrying GW livery, would surely not be expensive to produce and sell at least as well as LMS, LNER, or Southern ones.

• RMweb Gold

Yes I think so, even with the tragic Oxfords, we now have AA1, AA3, AA15 and AA19 in RTR, which covers the bases. (The outside-framed AA16 would be nice, but far too niche, being predominantly pre-1920.)

There isn't a single GWR open wagon available in RTR, nor the iconic V6 Iron Mink. An utterly bizarre situation.

I'd suggest it's a bit hackneyed as an RTR. I'd prefer a Felix Pole 20 tonner, and lots of them. 

Ian.