What have you done with your Keyser kit

I need the figure to withstand going into a vulcanised mould plus the final item needs to be whitemetal to add weight to the loco as its only a bit bigger than my thumb!

Ask him if he can 3D print in Tungsten.............................. :locomotive:

some of the extra bits i did on this was a lasercut real wood cab floor

post-8283-0-88462600-1520269572_thumb.jpg

printed waterslide shed plate

post-8283-0-36123500-1520269653_thumb.jpg

etched  steps left over from an old coach kit

post-8283-0-17713800-1520270121_thumb.jpg

to be added will be some etched rear window grills reverser and couplings

• Like 7

Very nice, can you move the reverser slightly forwards as it does not foul the door. So rare to see one of these built.

Agreed, it's an excellent build.  What are the mechanicals, original K's - or something else a bit more modern?

Agreed, it's an excellent build.  What are the mechanicals, original K's - or something else a bit more modern?

Thanks

Its a Ks kit and chassis but high level gearbox and 1015 motor a lot of little extras and a fair few hours 

• Like 1

Nice little motor the 1015, better than the bigger 12 series. I had one in an old DJH Standard 4 mogul, that's since been replaced by a 1620, after replacing the chassis with a Comet example.

yes they are very good ive got one in my finney bulldog running on a KB scale gearbox and flywheel and it runs very sweet

post-8283-0-42375900-1520459784_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

K's pannier amongst the lobster pots & fish boxes on Tormouth Quay.

post-11812-0-35803100-1522187686_thumb.jpg

Built originally in 1980, or very shortly thereafter, more or less as Ken Keyser would have intended, complete with cast-in crew figure, and used sparingly on my local club's layout and my own embryonic BLT.

An impending house move saw it packed away after a year or two, not seeing the light of day again for probably another 7 or 8 years.  At that time it had various additions & modifications in an attempt to improve its looks - new buffers, handrails, lamp irons, screw couplings (overscale as usual!), extra pipework runs, a representation of the brake gear and an apology for a weathering job!

Another short spell of use, another house move towards the end of the century and another 15 years packed away before it surfaced again.

After a good clean up, oil & grease around & touch-up to the paintwork in a couple of places it didn't look too bad so I decided to risk fitting a decoder & see how it behaved.  Well, a bit noisy but generally not bad at all so it joined the roster for occasional appearances on the quayside at the Exeter exhibition in 2014 (I think) and it's still doing the same today.

It's got its original K's motor (HP2M) and the plastic-centred wheels on D-shaped axles.  I've got a Comet chassis to go under it but keep telling myself "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".  I can find lots of other things to do to use up the time!

Main problem is the brake rigging, which was knocked up out of plasticard micro-strip with the obvious associated buckling & breaking.  I'll probably replace that with a bit of brass strip & leave the rest of it alone for another day (except, maybe, adding sand-operating rodding along the footplate & pipes from the sandboxes to the rails.

post-11812-0-86863700-1522187699_thumb.jpg

post-11812-0-54864600-1522187711_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Devonseasider

Lovely model and a stunning bit of modelling. The additional detailing realy lifts the model to another level

The newer chassis were an advancement on the original chassis, which had the axle holes (keyhole style in K's case) stamped out thus distorting the chassis, rather than drilled as in the new ones. The issues with the wheels and motor was one of robustness, to be frank the wheels use a system that Alan Gibson wheels use to day in that they are a simple push fit, which you have to get square. The newer motors were very hit or miss

As for the break rigging its a great pity the Mainly Trains etch was not continued by someone else, this would have made a great deal of difference

A new chassis, its going to be much better, both in the detail the kit provides but also the ability to easily fit up to date gearboxes and can motors

As an aside I obtained a spare set of k's 18 mm wheels, these had plain steel D shaped axles without end screws.  

• RMweb Premium

As for the break rigging its a great pity the Mainly Trains etch was not continued by someone else ......

Didn't I read recently that these etches have been taken on by Wizard Models?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Didn't I read recently that these etches have been taken on by Wizard Models?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

You did and they have.

Thanks lads missed this one, quite a nice high quality empire being built by Andrew(?) need to put in a Comet order, will add the odd extra etch to the order

Found it just over a fiver, the other etched details mostly either just under or just over £4, plus the Triang/Hornby Jinty and Hornby Dublo R1 replacement coupling rods, lots of castings as well

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/?filter_3_manufacturer=mainly_trains

Devonseasider

Lovely model and a stunning bit of modelling. The additional detailing realy lifts the model to another level

Whoa  -  go steady, you're making me blush.  I would never describe anything I've made as being "stunning" and neither has anyone else for that matter, which must tell a story! **

Actually, I'm not sure if you're referring to the loco or the layout it's on.

If the former, in best OFSTED speak I think I'd rate it as "satisfactory" although probably accepting it as a bit above average for its time.  It looks the part & performs acceptably.

If you mean the layout, I'd say competent, maybe even pushing as far as convincing.  If you want to see more of it, it's featured in the current Model Rail (#246) with photos from Chris Nevard, including another one of 4691.  I keep thinking about starting a thread for the layout, but not convinced it's either good enough or interesting enough to be worthwhile.

**  As an aside, the one exception to that statement would be some beer (for want of a better word) a friend & I brewed back in the late 70s.  We used a wine yeast & fed it very slowly with sugar over an extended period of time to let the yeast mutate & become more alcohol tolerant.  Now, that really was stunning!  When we sampled the first bottle we immediately christened it Saturn V.

Talk about rocket fuel  -  2 pints & you couldn't stand up, but that's an entirely different story & a little bit off-topic  .  .  .  .

The issues with the wheels and motor was one of robustness,     <  snip  >     The newer motors were very hit or miss

When I was building K's kits on a semi-pro basis my rule of thumb was to run the motors for 15 - 20 minutes on the bench.  If they survived that they invariably settled down, bedded in & ran smoothly (by 1970s/80s standards), as with the pannier.  A considerable proportion didn't make it & had to be replaced - the Airfix/MRRC 5-pole X04 look-alike was a favourite if I could get it to fit.

As for the break rigging its a great pity the Mainly Trains etch was not continued by someone else, this would have made a great deal of difference

As has been said, it's now under the wing of Andrew Wotsisname at Wizard & back on the market.  I bought one while Dave Cleal was still with us & that's what I'm looking to use to replace the flimsy microstrip when I'm in the mood for doing it.

A new chassis, its going to be much better, both in the detail the kit provides but also the ability to easily fit up to date gearboxes and can motors

Agreed, and no doubt one day, if I live long enough, that's what will happen.  At the moment, though, the real attraction of the loco, and the talking point amongst modellers (who recognise its parentage) as opposed to casual observers (who don't) is that it does have its original whirly bits and that they could be made to work if you were lucky!  (Sorry if that sounds a bit arrogant or elitist, it certainly isn't intended as such.)

No, it isn't up to today's standards but it isn't anywhere near as bad as some people would have us believe.  As I said before, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I would never describe anything I've made as being "stunning"

No, it isn't up to today's standards but it isn't anywhere near as bad as some people would have us believe. 

Might not be up to today's standards but I find as the years pass my eye sight goes so to me they still look great

Both are really lovely models and something to enjoy

I think most modellers will look at a model they have built with a critical eye and say I could have done better.

Another thing is K's kits were built to both a budget(low cost) and to standards which were around in your case late 70's. Wheels motors and gears have come on a long way since then. Let alone new modelling methods and better materials and casting/etching processes

You mention the old MW 005/Airfix MRRC 5 pole replacement for the Triang/Hornby X03/4 motor. Dave at Roxey Mouldings has a small stash of these motors still in boxes along with some of the Slimline motors.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just about finished the K's Hudswell Clarke that I bought in December.

post-494-0-24748300-1523389809.jpg

It's all new below the running plate and is powered by something much nicer than the original motor/gearbox.

post-494-0-08925600-1523389926.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Are those the ones from Falcon Figures? I've seen a couple of examples but can't find details anywhere of the full range.

I thought the ones i saw were maybe a little "undernourished" - would that be fair comment or was it just me?

Yes, Falcon Figures.

The proprietor reckons that people were smaller then and anyway the inside of cabs on models are smaller in scale than the real thing. True for RTR perhaps less so for etched kits.

Dart Casting figures are very much outsized

Edited by PenrithBeacon

The proprietor reckons that people were smaller then ......

The Cornish miners and their families who went to WW1, and returned, found that they were taller, from the decent(?) diets they had in the armed forces.  Those who returned to the mines found they had to bend their backs more to save banging their heads (hats/helmets) on the tunnel roofs.

This is one of the facts given out at Geevor Mine tours.

So Falcon Figures may be right, the pre-groupies were (probably) shorter.

Long ago, I helped out a Museum in the assembly of mannequins for army uniforms from 1800 to 1900. 

None of us 'helpers' could get the uniforms on, they were small.

Edited by Penlan