RMweb

Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

and back up north again today

6c37 from chirk, 56105 and 56087 in multi today

first job was fuel them as west coast worked it in last night and dont know how to use the fueller (photo edited/cropped down to just show the locos, not any infrastructure!

4b707580-7092-4f0c-bf0c-336f78d72cc4.jpg

and away, first stop bushbury jn for a few minutes

DSCF4174.jpg

next stop was winsford jn, sat on the slow while a few passenger trains passed, then on to tebay, another shot of tebay loop (i seem to frequent it quite a lot), and another combo of locos!

DSCF4178.jpg

DSCF4179.jpg

DSCF4187.jpg

and on to carlisle, almost at journeys end, just about to run round to propel back into the wood yard

DSCF4188.jpg

• Like 18

DSCF4163.jpg

something a bit different and the first ews 66's i've driven too

Jim, when you have two locos on a train are they both under power, or are you dragging the trailing one?  I'm assuming we don;t have DPU in the UK, and the wagons don't have MU so the second loco is just a dead weight and there to save on running round?

• RMweb Gold

Jim, when you have two locos on a train are they both under power, or are you dragging the trailing one?  I'm assuming we don;t have DPU in the UK, and the wagons don't have MU so the second loco is just a dead weight and there to save on running round?

What we used to call in BR days 'ANR' = Attached Not Required, i.e. simply a deadweight on the back of the train and basically done to save running round the operators having seemingly found it cheaper to employ a million quid loco to do not much instead of shunters at a few thens of thousands per annum.

Assistance on the rear is still only permitted where authorised in the relevant Sectional appendix etc and requires a Driver to man the rear loco..

• RMweb Gold

What we used to call in BR days 'ANR' = Attached Not Required, i.e. simply a deadweight on the back of the train and basically done to save running round the operators having seemingly found it cheaper to employ a million quid loco to do not much instead of shunters at a few thens of thousands per annum.

Assistance on the rear is still only permitted where authorised in the relevant Sectional appendix etc and requires a Driver to man the rear loco..

... But I assume very useful in a possesion when there's a train on one line & the other line's being worked on, so no actual way to get loco from one end to another?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

aslo to add to what mike has written, yes the rear loco is shut down, if it was running then it would require a 2nd driver as class 66s don't have automatic fire fighting equipment fitted so the lead driver would not know if it was on fire!

its not just about supposedly saving money, there are of course operational reasons for top and tail, no run round facilities, possession instructions etc

RHTT wagons have multi cables and control air pipes fitted so both locos can be running, similarly things like chltern's silver sets running with dvts can remotly operate the fire equipment on the 67s, if they use non fire equipment 67s then they have to be manned too

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

nice!

enjoyed working through manchester again today, been a while since i last did it with fastline, a few changes en route, no mayfield parcels station and lots of new flats around ordsall lane not to mention OHLE there too

was running over 3 hours late but still lots of photographers about on the diversionary route

passed a scorched class 70 near salford crescent being dragged by a 66, apparently it spontaniously combusted near hindley on an engineers train, has the fire brigade attend apparently

• RMweb Premium

passed a scorched class 70 near salford crescent being dragged by a 66, apparently it spontaniously combusted near hindley on an engineers train, has the fire brigade attend apparently

70005 is the casualty.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61693261@N03/9286766694

http://www.flickr.com/photos/httpwwwpeakdaleworkscom/9283991615/in/photostream/

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

here are a few pics from the last couple of days, unfortunatly today was my only day on the logs this week (so far), i was hoping to get to take it along the cheshire lines through altrincham but i've got a coupel of days of engineers trains to work instead

heading north last night, 56087 leading a dead in train 56105, 087 was only running on 4 traction motors but performed effortlessly, the northbound run was via stockport, manchester and bolton and onwards to preston, pretty much first stop was carnforth to allow a pendo past

DSCF4298.jpg

and back south this morning, ready to depart kingmoor with the 56s running in multi this time

DSCF4302.jpg

after picking up a conductor again at preston it was on to manchester, stopped at bolton to allow a few passenger trains past

DSCF4305.jpg

and on to deansgate where the conductor and i got off and the train continued on to chirk via stockport, altrincham and northwich, i seriously considered jumping onto a tram to alty to get a few shots of it coming through but decided to go to see what was left in modelzone on deansgate instead

DSCF4308.jpg

DSCF4309.jpg

DSCF4310.jpg

DSCF4312.jpg

Edited by big jim
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

they run a bit closer to you than sandbach actually, they go stockport, altrincham, northwich, chester

may be worth getting a lift to northwich for a few pics, one going over the viaduct over the weaver would be good or climbing up to cuddington

• Like 1

they run a bit closer to you than sandbach actually, they go stockport, altrincham, northwich, chester

may be worth getting a lift to northwich for a few pics, one going over the viaduct over the weaver would be good or climbing up to cuddington

I've got family round there so...

My last experience of Chester was bad, I'll find out anymore info

• RMweb Gold

did something different today, should have been a nice little out and back light engine job but as with most things it never goes smoothly

started the day at 04:00 in basford hall to collect my train for the day, should have been ready to roll but when i got there the train was on 1 road and the locos were on 19 road so i had to, with the help of the freightliner shunter put them top and tail on the train

66846 one end

null-560.jpg

66849 the other end

null-1431.jpg

the train was a network rail test train to stoke, set off about 30 late due to a bit of confusion, it was an "X" classification which is an exceptional load, in this case out of gauge so had to keep to certain routes and had to obey local rules such as it being unable to use certain platforms and lines, add to that it was over length (officially) which meant i could only use platform 6 in crewe it took a good bit of work by the signaller to get us in and out without impacting too much on other traffic

ready for the off, 405 meters(1325 ft) of train

DSCF4314.jpg

so off on my way, into crewe, changed ends and on my way to granville sidings in stoke, all good, got the train in with help of the PICOS (person in charge of sidings) as they were under T4 possession then it was doscovered the train was the wrong way round, a bit of discussion went on and it was decided to take it out and turn it, basically run back to crewe, into basford hall, back out to gresty bridge, into crewe again and back to stoke which is what i did, unfortunatly it took a few hours to get a new path in

here is the train waiting to leave the sidings

DSCF4316.jpg

from here it was out towards stoke, drop behind the signal at cockshutte, change ends again and onward to crewe to do the turn as described above, again as we could only use 6 at crewe it caused the signaller a few headaches with other traffic routed round me but i got on my way back to stoke, time for a couple of pics as i could see things moving around me!

DSCF4317.jpg

DSCF4318.jpg

into the sidings, propelled the train back up the "ore fulls" siding which is basically the old road into shelton steel works, another siding to colour in red in on my quail map!

once propelled in i chopped off the south end loco and moved it onto the departure road before walking up to the north and setting the train back into the sidings where we split it into 2 sections for the various tests/work sites

here is the north end loco on the "ore full" line

null-1325.jpg

hard to believe there used to be a steelworks here!

null-1588.jpg

end of the line!

null-1189.jpg

it was then a case if uncoupling the loco and recoupling it to the other one and heading back to crewe, at crewe i then resplit the locos in the goods loop and another driver took 849 to chirk to replace the 56s on the logs and i returned to basford hall with 846

all split and ready to go their separate ways

null-978.jpg

back into basford hall and headed home, got a quick pic of this while walking back to the van

DSCF4321.jpg

in all a good day, despite what should have been an 8 hour day turning into considarably more (lots of "hidden" paperwork for control), again something different and interesting to do, the on site network rail and amey guys were brilliant, very professional as can be expected, they even ran me out to morrisons on festival park for provisions when it looked like i was there for the duration!

by my calculations i changed ends a number of times and walked the length of the train 10 times to do so, a total of just over 2.5 miles walked just changing ends!!

looking forward to thursday when i go back and pick it up again to return to crewe

day off tomorrow though, layout time!

• Like 18