Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

According to a guy on the station they belong to drs and are toing to bought back on the mainline using bits off 37688 and (i think) 37682 which are also on the rtc for stripping

So much for a day off too, off to claydon tonight to take a train to hinksey and a light loco to bescot

As ever, great picture Jim, thanks for sharing.

Regarding the Sinfin runs, is that just aviation fuel for Roll Royce to use when testing the aeroplane engines? They seem to get through quite a lot!

Many thanks

As ever, great picture Jim, thanks for sharing.

Regarding the Sinfin runs, is that just aviation fuel for Roll Royce to use when testing the aeroplane engines? They seem to get through quite a lot!

Many thanks

Yes it's jet A just for RR, in the past there used to be two trains a week, but now things have got a lot more efficient.

• RMweb Gold

just a couple from last night

one from Aylesbury, had to wait for a train to clear the single line to Risborough 

DSCF9868.jpg

and on arrival into hinksey

DSCF9869.jpg

should have been taking it into bescot via greenford, slough, reading and hinksey (to drop off the rear class 70) but i got stuck in a 'surprise' possession while waiting to leave claydon so ended up going via risborough and aynho to hinksey after departing claydon 3 hours late, then when i got to hinksey the shunter was not on site so i ended up leaving it with another driver and heading home!

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

And just as I get home in time to see a possible appearance of a 60 on the logs, it's b*gger*d off back to Toton....

Cheers,

Mick

Although a well known railway gen site is reporting that 60's are due to take up the Carlisle-Chirk log duty before long. Now that would be nice...........

Cheers,

Mick

If it's political just tell me to shut up but just wondered why the Carlisle logs usually in the hands of a 66 need replacing with a 60. I can understand the reliability issues of the 56's on the Exeter/Baglan Bay services needing replacement but the 60 on the face of it seems a little extreme.......lol!!!!!!!

• RMweb Gold

a few from today, had to fuel a load of locos at bescot then work them to hinksey, the first 2 locos were really late arriving into bescot, should have been there at 06:30 this morning and rolled in at 14:30

caught the train from crewe

gbrf 66 on a biomass service

DSCF9870.jpg

DSCF9871.jpg

too busy to get pics at bescot, but i set off for hinksey with 70809/70808/70803/66846, first stop small heath

DSCF9872.jpg

170 departing Tyseley

DSCF9875.jpg

172 heading to dorridge

DSCF9876.jpg

172 heading to Worcester

DSCF9877.jpg

165 heading to Moor St

DSCF9878.jpg

passing a 172 heading to dorridge

DSCF9879.jpg

168 heading to London

DSCF9881.jpg

and into banbury

DSCF9882.jpg

then off to oxford where i got off and got a train home

DSCF9884.jpg

180 heading to london

DSCF9886.jpg

70001 heading north

DSCF9888.jpg

and that was that

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

And wasn't it nice of me to put you in the loop at Banbury!

sure was, the driver with me was in need of a drink and food as he hadn't planned on being on the loco all day and hadn't bought supplies, he was only booked to be on it for an hour but got asked to work it through from hinksey to westbury

it was also good of the south box to let me out in front of the FGW stopper and oxford to accept us so we didnt have to go in at aynho loop

• RMweb Gold

I thought I recognised the driver as they passed me at Leamington.

Leamington Spa

27 April 2015

70809, 66846, 70803 and 70808 on 0V42, 15:34, Bescot Up Engineers Sdgs - Hinksey Sdgs (19:44)

post-6662-0-32950000-1430295934_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-73296200-1430296044_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

Glad it worked out ok. I did think of running you straight to Aynho to avoid any possible conflict with any Chiltern services but since the liner which was running a bit late  was not far behind you I decided not to chance it. I know that two aspect signalling south of Aynho is a pain. Also now that BS104 is so far out from the loop at Aynho anything following invariably gets a distant check at BS104R as the preceeding train crawls into the loop, although not such a problem with a light engine.

Edited by Eggesford box