Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 5BarVT said:

Do you have to arrange for the hire car to be returned when you get a changed turn at short notice?  Or do Control do Road vehicles too?

Paul.

luckily the driver who was with me road learning the s+c part took the car I left at hellifield and I took the one he left at tuebrook so it worked out good but otherwise I’d have had to somehow at some point gone back to hellifield to retrieve it, quite when and how I don’t know! 

in normal circumstances where we’re done with a car that’s not going to another driver we fill out an app with its location etc and it’s collected, the local enterprise hire car place isn’t far from my house so I sometimes drop them off there to save space outside the house

There is a dedicated road fleet planning department who work out the vehicle plan for the week, I don’t envy their job as it’s as complicated as the train planning with more things to go wrong such as cars not turning up, drivers getting swapped so cars are left stranded, only this week I’ve found 2 ‘most wanted’ missing cars in various places which I’ve managed to use instead of a taxi and return to the local depot, tomorrow morning I’ve just been told by my relief that his car hasn’t turned up so I’ve got to taxi home from site (thankfully only 15 miles), luckily that car isn’t needed by anyone else afterwards so it’s not a hardship and the car i got from Liverpool yesterday will stay with me for the rest of the week to get to and from oxley 

Edited by big jim
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

"they came over bleating and started following me"

You mean you forgot to take the Sweetlick"?

Jonathan

They must have sensed I’m Welsh 

• Funny 6

On 24/03/2024 at 12:30, big jim said:

...came up with the solution to couple the trains together and work it as one to site so at least it was there, could be put into position and worked on, the only issue being things like length, weight and having a dead loco in the middle of the consist which NR weren’t happy about but I found a work around in the rulebook and our own operating appendix which allowed it to move...

Tidy.

Edited by WessexEclectic
Translated into Welsh...
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, WessexEclectic said:

Tidy.

I like to find work arounds, the NR guys on the ground were also glad of it as they needed it moving asap, the electronic rulebook is an absolute boon when things go wrong and you have to think on your feet 

had it not been able to move the whole possession could have been cancelled and there were already 3 other trains on site waiting to start work, I believe the loco was a complete failure in the end and they managed to use one of the other locos on site to go back and rescue it, thankfully it was the last train in the queue! 

Edited by big jim
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

The 805 testing seems to be cancelled quite often. Odd if they want to get them into service. Or are there problems? (if you are allowed to say)

Jonathan 

no issues with the 805, last minute emergency engineering was put in place which prevented the run 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, big jim said:

waiting outside castlefield for an intermodal to pass from trafford park 

IMG_5548.jpeg

That's an impressive selection of bridges!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Nick C said:

That's an impressive selection of bridges!

It always amazed me how these bridges survived 30 years out of use before the tram came.

After Central closed it became GMex in the 80’s effectively killing the chances of these arches. They were wrong side of Manchester for needed capacity too.

There was a forest up there at one point in the 1980’s.

Elsewhere they would have been gone for scrap a long time ago.

Today the tram has generous amounts of space to use.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

After Central closed it became GMex in the 80’s effectively killing the chances of these arches. They were wrong side of Manchester for needed capacity too.

Once the Midland route closed (now hosting trams), the only place Central pointed was the CLC to Liverpool with no way off, so all Central could be was a glorified Oxford Road platform 5.