Arboretum Valley - Invasion of the Daleks

Kal

As discussed on the eBay madness thread these might be quite vintage models scratchbuilt in the austerity period of the late '40s/early '50s.  I think they ahve a certain charm & could imagine a nipper of the time (when railways were less accessible) being absolutely delighted what a kindly uncle had knocked up in the shed.

[New World Symphony]

As a child in the early '70s I had an awful lot of wooden toys made by my father's uncle who was a real crafstman.  I don't remember his workshop, but Dad has very clear memories of Uncle John's foot-pedal powered jigsaw.  

We have boxes of the stuff in the loft at home.  When cash was a bit tight these toys were a joy and much nicer than a lot of the plastic tat that The Small Controller has been given by well meaning friends, with the added bonus that they were made with love!

[/New World Symphony]

BTW, we have a line for my sister.  "You have enough shoes and too many handbags".  Then again as she works in the City every hour that God sends and hasn't had a holiday undisturbed by the office in something like ten years I guess it's not our job to tell her how to spend her dosh!

HI

YEs I think they are very collectable for some people, it is a bit of nostalgia.  Unfortunately for me though, I think it would ride on the Chairs of my code 75 track  :sungum:

• Like 1

Julian, Julian,........Who is Julian  ?..............Like shouting for your lost.......dog..........FENTON..FENTON...!!!!!

Thanks for KL,     Army Acro's....... :nono: 

They are not Army accros, they are TLA's    :rtfm:

People frequently confused acronym & abbreviation....

Among my favourite SNCO-isms were:

"Pacifically speaking..."

"Guard/Stag/Duty Rosta."

"There have been some serious allegations, and I want to know who the allegators were!"

For extra points in the pre-IT age things should be written in block capitals which all had flat bottoms from where the scribe had used a ruler to make the lines nice and neat ;)

• Like 1

Freebs

Yes KL is inspirational stuff, with so many inputs from different people, it is about a year ahead of is in a number of areas, so it answers questions we are yet to ask.

Yeah reading both that and the Bacup threads makes me want to rip up all the Peco (and Hornby) flexi, not to mention the medium radius points and throw it out the window!

But the thought of all the horrendous expense of the fine scale point work is the killing factor for me. I know people say you can hand build points for a fraction of the cost of Ready Made or Kit built ones - but all the jigs and gauges you'd need, don't make it a cheap initial outlay - plus, I really don't have the time to spend weeks on making one set of turnouts (I know this isn't a race, but we're talking allowable time out for a hobby, when there are household considerations to take into account - I just don't have the hours in a day to devote to the railway as I'd like). I've already spent 3 years getting nowhere, and I'm now on my 5th track laying exercise. I've vowed that this is it - it's being fixed down for good (at least the 2 main lines) and I'm putting in some scenery!!

(now - where's my jigsaw - I need to make a valley in the the baseboard to allow for a four track viaduct…)

• Like 1

I know the feeling about time!  We're celebrating my birthday over the following two weekends and I am almost resenting the fact that some guests are rocking up early on Saturday as I will have to sacrifice time I had set aside for building stuff to talk to them ;)

• Like 1

Hi Freebs

I know what you mean, but STOP. IF , you want to do it, do it where you would photograph, that way it becomes more manageable.

However, as many people have said with the quality of your building, people (real people that is) will not be looking at your track the will be revelling in the overall scene.

Nothing wrong with using PECO, I will continue to use it in many parts, but I just want:

1. The challenge of doing it for one area and making that the area for close up photography of the locos.  In longer shots I hope... they eye will be drawn further a field.

That is my 10 penny worth.

Edited by Kal

I had considered using C&L for a double track straight along the back of the layout… But I've lost track of the number of bits of track I've bought and destroyed relaying etc.

I think I'm going to follow by example - for both Jeff and Jason, this latest build is the culmination of a fair few years of prior layout building, using Peco, so I'll treat this one the same :)

My trouble is I see something and then try to jump into perfection straight away.

I'd started making simple card buildings using Scalescenes kits, then stumbled across the great Iain Robinson's blog…. the rest is history… (12 months to make a station building!!!)

• Like 1

I had considered using C&L for a double track straight along the back of the layout… But I've lost track of the number of bits of track I've bought and destroyed relaying etc.

I think I'm going to follow by example - for both Jeff and Jason, this latest build is the culmination of a fair few years of prior layout building, using Peco, so I'll treat this one the same :)

My trouble is I see something and then try to jump into perfection straight away.

I'd started making simple card buildings using Scalescenes kits, then stumbled across the great Iain Robinson's blog…. the rest is history… (12 months to make a station building!!!)

Yep I hear you,   me too. :scratchhead:

Why is there always inspiration available at the  end of my capabilities, time and resources.  :mail:

Inspiration - (capability x time x resource ) =  OMG OMG OMG  :O

Edited by Kal

Varnish

Well the super quick varnish has finally dried

med_gallery_17883_3001_119127.jpgrmweb706terraforming194

And it is clear, but I preferred the honey tones of natural varnish, and will not be using it again for my water features

med_gallery_17883_3001_581147.jpgrmweb707terraforming195

• Like 2

Hi Jaz

Your the expert although I was going to say don't dis it, it looks absolutely great, I see what you mean with regards to the honey finish but hey... I like both to be honest, and looks really good, from a master craftswoman to....Doh! did that sound like I should be shocked.... No... your brilliant at your scenic.

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I know the feeling about time!  We're celebrating my birthday over the following two weekends and I am almost resenting the fact that some guests are rocking up early on Saturday as I will have to sacrifice time I had set aside for building stuff to talk to them ;)

WHOA HOSS!!, Jet back a bit!

Did I just read that you are celebrating your birthday over TWO weekends?

You know what I did last birthday? I got home from work at 7 in the evening with a Chinese Takeaway and gulped it down whilst trawling through a bunch of firewall logs trying to find the cause of a network issue :(

I'm obviously not doing it right :(

WHOA HOSS!!, Jet back a bit!

Did I just read that you are celebrating your birthday over TWO weekends?

You know what I did last birthday? I got home from work at 7 in the evening with a Chinese Takeaway and gulped it down whilst trawling through a bunch of firewall logs trying to find the cause of a network issue :(

I'm obviously not doing it right :(

You forget CWR is soooooo old, one weekend couldn't cover it.   :jester:

• Like 1

acg_mr

You get one go at life, and you really need to enjoy it. I suspect the double weekend birthday is either down to numbers being squeezed in or availability of family members.

I think you should ALWAYS celebrate a birthday, and I don't mean necessarily with money. You should find time to do something you enjoy, or if at worst there is a really good reason why u can't on your birthday you designate another day asap for it.

For Kals 40th I spent 6 months in advance ensuring his family would ALL be available for the day. Plus it was great for him to have all his family together as their lives make this really difficult.

Some quiet time, some food, hopefully a card or two a a surprise present, will lift the day. If you can't make time to celebrate your birthday, you can't rely on someone else doing it!!! You should try to do some thing frivolous (4 handbags) C&WR I hope you have a really nice couple of weekends.

Hey Jaz

You are right.... you do have that soft nice and very forward thinking nice side you mentioned earlier on, when we all thought (we... being just me :-)) you were going to be angry at Kal.

Not only that but good at modelling scenic to, and excellent at your water features...

Jamie

Terraforming

Ok tweaking of the paths and road.

fine filler

med_gallery_17883_3001_235095.jpgrrmweb710terraforming196

same sanded

med_gallery_17883_3001_235427.jpgrmweb711terraforming197

Recolouring

referring to the google maps 

kerbstones, slopes, paving, slabs, grass and parking basically where it should be.

PVA on the new kerb to strengthen it.

The pavement area to the side of where the Aidensfield Arms is will short term be a tables area, but it is the space longterm for the extension not included in the Bachmann model

As soon as everything is dry I'll check it, then hopefully set the buildings in place here.

This area has no telephone poles, or street lamps. Though some fencing etc will need to be added.

This angle does not show it but the lane up the side of tha Aidensfield pub has a cattle grid.

med_gallery_17883_3001_93699.jpgrmweb715terraforming201

• Like 3

Hey Jaz

You are right.... you do have that soft nice and very forward thinking nice side you mentioned earlier on, when we all thought (we... being just me :-)) you were going to be angry at Kal.

Not only that but good at modelling scenic to, and excellent at your water features...

Jamie

Rest assured  viewers, we have a very raucous but understanding relationship and we would never post anything publicly that would offend the other. :tender: :maninlove:

If I think it is going to be close to the knuckle, I check with Jaz first, and then post it anyway  :angel:

Edited by Kal

acg_mr

You get one go at life, and you really need to enjoy it. I suspect the double weekend birthday is either down to numbers being squeezed in or availability of family members.

I think you should ALWAYS celebrate a birthday, and I don't mean necessarily with money. You should find time to do something you enjoy, or if at worst there is a really good reason why u can't on your birthday you designate another day asap for it.

For Kals 40th I spent 6 months in advance ensuring his family would ALL be available for the day. Plus it was great for him to have all his family together as their lives make this really difficult.

Some quiet time, some food, hopefully a card or two a a surprise present, will lift the day. If you can't make time to celebrate your birthday, you can't rely on someone else doing it!!! You should try to do some thing frivolous (4 handbags) C&WR I hope you have a really nice couple of weekends.

I hope you get 4 handbags for your birthday too, C&WR.. :)

I've got 10 days left of being in my 30s….

• Like 2