The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, boxbrownie said:

‘Unfortunately in the near future it is likely the MoT “smoke test” will be changed to include not only smoke/particulate emissions for diesels but chemical emissions also, and could knock chip tuning on the head quite a bit as NoX emissions will be limited to manufacturers specification.

What really needs to be stamped on is the “visual test” for emissions on commercial vehicles, too many commercial vehicles have been tweaked to give more power under load which doesn’t produce much smoke in the test centre but on the road under accel emits clouds of noxious gas.

Many times I have followed older diesel vehicles, even buses where the fumes are so bad I am forced to shut all the vents on the car.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Jim, no heater is a sign of no pressure. On older cars in the event of water pump failure the trick was to remove the radiator cap to prevent further damage.

The header tank cap blew off en route so hopefully that may have helped prevent damage, went about 4 miles like that I recon with the gauge slightly above 1/2 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, alastairq said:

I have in the dim 'n distant...but the dealer I got it from still has a library on file, so I enclose the link

http://www.retroclassiccar.com/1967-ford-mustang-coupe-p85

VERY nice indeed!! Unusual to see one on Minilites too, I like that. I like the '67 / '68 model year with the slightly more shark like grille / bonnet restyle and the concave rear light panel. Nothing wrong with the earlier incarnation of course... ;)

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Many times I have followed older diesel vehicles, even buses where the fumes are so bad I am forced to shut all the vents on the car.

Recently I've been following more and more petrol cars with that issue the only difference is that you can't see it just smell it. I'd say it's about 50/50 diesel/petrol on my daily commute.

Both are down to bad or lack of regular maintenance. Except for really old motors neither should smoke badly or give off lots if fumes except a diesel under really hard acceleration. 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Impala? In 1971, just qualified as a teacher, Sherry flew to Michigan to get married. Her fiancé was a Vauxhall Engineering Trainee sent to Detroit for a year as part of the curriculum. I think in the UK, at uni, he had had a Midget, but by the time Sherry got to the US he had decided to go native, and while his expat compatriots typically bought a compact something-or-other, Pete bought a reasonably new Impala. Sherry, 5'4", had been used to driving her dad's Corsair, and then 1600 E Cortina, but this was a little bigger....

Then there was Team Impala, unconnected with Sherry and Pete. Those who have been to motor races will recognise that in the build up to a race there will be opportunities in preceding days to meet the drivers, obtain autographs, take pictures. Several US sportscar fans decided to horn in on this, possibly at Sebring, took a trestle table and installed it at the end of the row, sat and smiled and signed as required. No car, no entry, but Team Impala just must have existed! 

• Like 5

All these old US car ads put me in mind of Bruce McCall's spoof Bulgemobile brochures ("Bulgemobile Scumliner's Blue Cloud Six is the only six you can buy with patented Iron Ingot construction, for extra weight without extra durability" being one memorable line from the 1946 brochure), and his shorter, pithier one-offs, like the ad for the Pontefract Maniac musclecar. "Acceleration so breathtaking you'll suffocate before second gear".

• Like 4

2 hours ago, PatB said:

All these old US car ads put me in mind of Bruce McCall's spoof Bulgemobile brochures ("Bulgemobile Scumliner's Blue Cloud Six is the only six you can buy with patented Iron Ingot construction, for extra weight without extra durability" being one memorable line from the 1946 brochure), and his shorter, pithier one-offs, like the ad for the Pontefract Maniac musclecar. "Acceleration so breathtaking you'll suffocate before second gear".

Bill Bryson’s observations on more recent US car advertising follow the same general theme. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

The new plates I bought last month for S are now on the car...

MK2 S #001.jpg

MK2 S #002.jpg

Lovely and looking original.......with some period additions, can forgive the modern tyres as Goodyear G800 or Pirelli Cints just don’t cut it anymore :good_mini:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Lovely and looking original.......with some period additions, can forgive the modern tyres as Goodyear G800 or Pirelli Cints just don’t cut it anymore :good_mini:

Thanks David - the tyres are Yoko A008s, they were all that was available at the time when I had the Mk3 Cosmic alloys refurbished locally. I've still got the other set of Cosmics to be done so will see if I can find a more suitable tyre to fit. I have no photographic proof but as it was registered in April '69 I'd imagine it would have had this style of plate fitted at the Stewart & Ardern dealer in North London, most S&A Minis did at the time, specifically with the 'square cut' digits rather than the more rounded Bluemells type. Next job will be to fit the period tinted glass that I've bought from a mate of mine which came out of his factory black '69 Mk2 Cooper.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 30/04/2019 at 21:04, russ p said:

There are no BMW engines in 45s or 25s Jim, just the 75.

I have a ZT with one but rover planned to replace it with a 16v version of the L series called the G series this engine did actually see in some obscure Chevrolet.

The BMW engine isn't too bad but its very heavy and in basic form only puts out 115 bhp which is pathetic for a 2.0 16v common rail turbo diesel, I have had it remapped and removed the EGR  so its now around 170-175 bhp and more economical.

My ZR is the rover L series has had a remap before I got it and that is 170bhp but quite smokey and not as economical as it could be but extremely fast and that is only an 8v ,I intend to get another remap and different MAF sensor to reduce the smoke

Such a convoluted history the old B series and is descendants.

All the 2.0l engines were descended from them until MG Rover went bump and BMW brought in its Diesels and then Ford for everything to LR.

The G Series was a missed opportunity, but wasn't development around same time as the TD engines? At least the 5 made it to production.

G was 8v and 16v common rail.

TD was 4 5 6 cylinder 2 valve per cylinder unit injectors.

2 modern 4 cylinder Diesels which never made it to their designed homes.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Thanks David - the tyres are Yoko A008s, they were all that was available at the time when I had the Mk3 Cosmic alloys refurbished locally. I've still got the other set of Cosmics to be done so will see if I can find a more suitable tyre to fit. I have no photographic proof but as it was registered in April '69 I'd imagine it would have had this style of plate fitted at the Stewart & Ardern dealer in North London, most S&A Minis did at the time, specifically with the 'square cut' digits rather than the more rounded Bluemells type. Next job will be to fit the period tinted glass that I've bought from a mate of mine which came out of his factory black '69 Mk2 Cooper.

Pretty sure my ‘72 registered “S” had the older style black plates fitted, cannot for the life of me remember the dealer though (it was only 3 years old when I had it). Although yours is the Mk2 mine being the Mk3........it’s odd S&A would have fitted plates not needed for a few years yet?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

Pretty sure my ‘72 registered “S” had the older style black plates fitted, cannot for the life of me remember the dealer though (it was only 3 years old when I had it). Although yours is the Mk2 mine being the Mk3........it’s odd S&A would have fitted plates not needed for a few years yet?

S&A started fitting those plates in '67 but still fitted the black and silver raised digit type if customers asked for them.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

S&A started fitting those plates in '67 but still fitted the black and silver raised digit type if customers asked for them.

Aha interesting...... :good_mini:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 02/05/2019 at 19:00, Rugd1022 said:

That's interesting, because my 1969 Minor has reflective plates. I've always wondered if they're original, and I've come to the conclusion that they are. I don't know if it came from S & A, but it was first registered to a company dealing in cellophane, in Kensington, in Jan 1969. Reflective plates became a legal requirement after 1973 I think, and my thinking is if you were not required to change them, why would you? I've got a pair of black and silver aluminium plates, but I've put the reflective ones back on now.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rodent279 said:

That's interesting, because my 1969 Minor has reflective plates. I've always wondered if they're original, and I've come to the conclusion that they are. I don't know if it came from S & A, but it was first registered to a company dealing in cellophane, in Kensington, in Jan 1969. Reflective plates became a legal requirement after 1973 I think, and my thinking is if you were not required to change them, why would you? I've got a pair of black and silver aluminium plates, but I've put the reflective ones back on now.

With S&A being the country's largest Morris distributor it's a fair bet that your Minor was sold via the main depot at Acton and forwarded to the nearest dealership in the Kensington area. The first owner may have requested the 'new' reflective plates or the supplying dealer may have just fitted them as a matter of course. My Cooper S went from Acton to Finchley before being registered with its first owner ;)

There was quite an overlap of new cars appearing with either black and silver or new reflective plates between '67 and '73 and beyond in a few instances - one of the demonstration Lamborghini LP400 Countaches lent out to the press in late '74 / early '75 had black and silver raised digit plates with an 'N' suffix.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Well after the fanbelt snapped on the red mini last week I’ve had good news that it didn’t cause any damage so it will be back on the road soon however it needs 3 new tyres (I knew it needed 1 at least), also needs a new brake calliper as well as the planned brake discs and pads all round

the cooper is back now so I have time to get that work done over the next month or so 

had a day on it yesterday, new DAB stereo and upgraded speakers, swapped the rear badges from silver to black and added a union jack to the sunroof, it’s perforated material so I can still see out, nice and easy to fix in place as long as you keep the roof wet as you position it then squeegy our the water and any bubbles, it helped that it lashed down as I did the first bit yesterday! 

D8078E79-8FE6-4038-A6AE-206E0EDCD257.jpg

• Like 6