Show us your scratchbuilt building

• RMweb Gold

A fertilizer wagon to road exchange shed

Basswood frame with corrugated plasticard cut to 8' x 4' sheets, fixing bolts made by poking from the back with a compass point.

Hopefully will be fully clad & painted by this evening.

post-7025-0-51845500-1390731643_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-61942300-1390731648_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-71279200-1390731651_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-93299100-1390731654_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-57987900-1390731658_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

I agree all the pieces on the last page (edit= and the two above this post) are serious pieces of workmanship, but Freebs yours (post 394) is truly scratch built, and the colour tones are so realistic,and  I love the weathering on the roof and the walls.

Edited by Jaz

Technically I would think you show us your scratch built building, means buildings, i.e. not locos, as there is no where for trees, so I will squeeze this one in here, if anyone objects as being outside the remit...I will remove it.

med_gallery_17883_3001_404996.jpgrmweb484trees87

• Like 10

This is Embsay Canal Road, a station in the Yorkshire Dales about 1908.  Midland Railway abounds.

Not exactly Allan Downes but the best I can do.

Derek

Do you know what I'd say if I built that?

Not exactly Derek Kiirtley800, but it will have to do.

Superb Derek, let's see more !

Cheers.

Allan.

Technically I would think you show us your scratch built building, means buildings, i.e. not locos, as there is no where for trees, so I will squeeze this one in here, if anyone objects as being outside the remit...I will remove it.

med_gallery_17883_3001_404996.jpgrmweb484trees87

That is the BEST tree armature that I have ever seen.

WOW!!!!

Allan.

• Like 2

Thank you very much Allan, that is a real compliment coming from you.  I always believed that less is more when it comes to model railways, and I had thought I had made that particular scene a bit too busy.  It is at the back of the layout which is never seen quite like that and does gather a lot of dust.  I am writing up an account of the layout for the Modeller, Paul (Worsdell forever) has taken a fair few pics, but here is another taken by me, please ignore the background.  I rarely take decent photos so I tend to hawk the good ones about and bore everyone to death.

Derek

post-6110-0-16207700-1391084190_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Allan,  the buildings are basically boxes made out of plasticard.  With stone buildings I use three layers of 40thou to get the thickness of the walls.  The stonework is the soft base plaster, I think they used to call it 'browning' but definitely not polyfilla, that is far too hard.  It is applied by brush, the plaster being the consistency of thick double cream.  The building has to be laid down and the plaster allowed to dry thoroughly then soaked in solvent.  In my chemical laboratory days I used chloroform, done outside of course, but any solvent will do.  The solvent keys the plasticard and the plaster together.  Allow to dry before the second side is covered .with the plaster mix.

When the building is all covered I rub it gently with sandpaper, just to smooth everything out.  Then start scribing the stones.  The beauty of soft plaster is that it is so easy to scribe the stone courses.

When all the sides are dry I use a wash of grey Humbrol let down with white spirit.  The paint soaks in and hardens off the plaster.  Then it is a case of dry brushing with the required colour - don't need to tell you about that.

The stonework is pretty tough.  I built a Midland water tower similar to the one at Garsdale.  It was near the front of the layout and while working on something or other knocked it off the layout on to a concrete floor.  The layout is set at over 4 feet above the floor, so I expected the worst.  It was not even scratched.

The only drawback with my method of building is the waiting for things to dry, so I have a few projects going along at the same time. 

Derek

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you very much Allan, that is a real compliment coming from you.  I always believed that less is more when it comes to model railways, and I had thought I had made that particular scene a bit too busy.  It is at the back of the layout which is never seen quite like that and does gather a lot of dust.  I am writing up an account of the layout for the Modeller, Paul (Worsdell forever) has taken a fair few pics, but here is another taken by me, please ignore the background.  I rarely take decent photos so I tend to hawk the good ones about and bore everyone to death.

Derek

That stonework is really lovely, both in terms of colour and texture,  and certainly repays the effort put into it

Jerry

Here is another piccie of one of the bridges at the end of the line, where the fiddle yard starts.  It is crossing the 00 track (my son's) the EM tracks are over to the right  This stonework was done in the same way as I described.  I think the final dry brushing used GW chocolate brown.  Again, little is more.post-6110-0-43815000-1391121933_thumb.jpg

Derek

Edited by Mrkirtley800
  • Like 7

A fertilizer wagon to road exchange shed

Basswood frame with corrugated plasticard cut to 8' x 4' sheets, fixing bolts made by poking from the back with a compass point.

Hopefully will be fully clad & painted by this evening.

attachicon.gifroof_frame (1).jpg

attachicon.gifsome_cladding (2).jpg

attachicon.gifsome_cladding (3).jpg

attachicon.gifsome_cladding (4).jpg

attachicon.gifsome_cladding (6).jpg

Stubby, that's awesome. Beautiful work on the frame there

An exercise in perspective modelling :

attachicon.gifPIC_0012.jpg

and in case anyone hasn't seen it - The Gentleman's Restroom...

attachicon.gifPIC_0041.jpg

Only just found this topic and only seen the first page (the rest will have to wait till I get home and not at work!), but the quality is stunning.

I find Stubby's sense of humour rather ironic, that he puts a poster on the back of the gents door exhorting workers to join the RMT "for a safer workplace" than make the gents look like it's just suffered a serious chemical war attack! Brilliant.

Phil

• Like 1

I have just taken the time to go through this whole thread and there are no words suitable to express what I think of the quality of ALL the submissions.

I am just starting out on this modelling lark at the tender age of 51 and if I ever get to make something approaching half as good as the worst one here (and it would be very difficult to say which that is ) then I will be a happy man. Well done to everyone.

A couple of early modelling photos, built many years ago but still intact, took these photos yesterday, models in particular the LNWR 4rd Engine shed The 'MILL' at the back is a new build, The Hotel was built many, many  years ago, rendered brickwork freelance work,

cheers

Peter

post-1241-0-96798700-1391363179_thumb.jpg

post-1241-0-73296500-1391363456_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gravy Train
  • Like 13

Just to hi-jack the thread a wee bit. Although these two items are not quite 100% scratchbuilt, they are heavily modified and rebuilt kits with some scratchbuilt aspects:

1) A water tower, the base was rebuilt and the inspection platform was scratchbuilt

post-123-0-56911400-1391372706.jpgpost-123-0-16833300-1391372714.jpgpost-123-0-59235900-1391372721.jpg

2) A church with some stained glass windows

post-123-0-33702000-1391372840_thumb.jpg

post-123-0-42038200-1391372850.jpgpost-123-0-71676500-1391372857.jpg

The stained glass windows were created from stained glass images on the internet and reformatted, edited, trimmed and printed out on OHP acetate and the internal lightbox (designed to ensure that the "stained glass" receives an even illumination) was completely scratchbuilt. Additionally, one of the façades (not shown [don't have a photo]) was rebuilt.

I now return you to your 100% scratchbuilt masterpieces.

iD

p.s. both are heading for the scrapheap (no space for them and they don't meet my current standards), if you are interested in giving one of them a home, pm me and - as Joan Rivers puts it - "we can talk"

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...