The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The Forum Jokes Thread

Colin_McLeod

Message added by AY Mod,

Sexist, racist or religious jokes aren't funny - keep them to yourself!

Thinking of informal expressions . . .

I was once invited to have dinner and stay overnight at the house of a US business associate and his wife at their home in Arlington, Virginia.  For some reason, as I was leaving the following morning, he looked far from cheerful.  As I said my goodbyes and thank-yous to the hospitable couple, I added, looking at the husband, "Keep your up!"  Of course, I gave no thought to the US meaning of this expression but noticed the extremely disapproving glare on the wife's face.

It was some while later that I realised what a faux-pas I had committed. . . .

Stan

• RMweb Premium

A friend of mine played golf for Cambridge. When touring the United States, he made a mistake on his score card and asked the captain of the opposing team, 'Have you got a rubber?' A look of horror came over the latter, until he finally responded, 'Oh, you mean an eraser!'

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A friend of mine played golf for Cambridge. When touring the United States, he made a mistake on his score card and asked the captain of the opposing team, 'Have you got a rubber?' A look of horror came over the latter, until he finally responded, 'Oh, you mean an eraser!'

Two nations divided by a common tongue. What for us removes mistakes, for them prevents mistakes.

Thinking of informal expressions . . .

I was once invited to have dinner and stay overnight at the house of a US business associate and his wife at their home in Arlington, Virginia.  For some reason, as I was leaving the following morning, he looked far from cheerful.  As I said my goodbyes and thank-yous to the hospitable couple, I added, looking at the husband, "Keep your ###### up!"  Of course, I gave no thought to the US meaning of this expression but noticed the extremely disapproving glare on the wife's face.

It was some while later that I realised what a faux-pas I had committed. . . .

Stan

Of course, the national origin of the software underlying RMWeb is now clear.  The word blanked out should have been a noun describing what a bird that eats a peanuts might be called.

Sometimes I despair at political correctness . . .

Stan

• RMweb Gold

Of course, the national origin of the software underlying RMWeb is now clear.  The word blanked out should have been a noun describing what a bird that eats a peanuts might be called.

Sometimes I despair at political correctness . . .

Stan

So, if I say that I saw a woodpecker in my garden today . . .

Or even that I saw a wood in my garden today . . .

I agree with you and your despair.

To the moderators: can we remove the word p*cker from the hit list, please?

Edited by Budgie

• RMweb Premium

Or even that I saw a wood ###### in my garden today . . .

You used to be able to buy fat p e c k e r s from garden centres.

• Like 1

Or even that I saw a wood ###### in my garden today . . .

Hi Budgie,

What you need to make quite clear is that with regard to the correct use of words in their proper context then you must be offended that they are offended and then ask what the offended are going to do about that as a problem that they have created.

The dissolution of the general vocabulary is part of the closing down of free speech, unfortunately the ignorant mob think that political correctness is the way forward toward harmony without realising that one day they too will have been had for the useful idiots they undoubtedly are and that they no longer have a voice with which to complain. This is most unfortunate for all, including them.

You could hire one of these;

https://www.mrplanthire.co.uk/Tool-and-Plant-Hire-London/category/breakers/hydraulic-breaker-

Or have a watch of this;

Lunacy !

Gibbo.

• Like 3

It's strange how words change in respect of their acceptability.

In Ratcliffe in East London, at one time known as sailor town due to the connection with the docks, there was a club called Quassi and Sambo. 

The description fitted the clientele to perfection. 

People from other parts of the globe had their own establishments that were equally direct with the description.

The words of "I've got a little list" from the Mikado are also rather dodgy in the current climate.

Then there is "All Things Bright and Beautiful". Mention of the rich man in his castle and the poor man at the gate is a no go area these days.

The National Anthem? Better not upset the North British with the reference to General wade.

Bernard

• Like 1

In Ratcliffe in East London, at one time known as sailor town due to the connection with the docks, there was a club called Quassi and Sambo. 

People from other parts of the globe had their own establishments that were equally direct with the description.

The words of "I've got a little list" from the Mikado are also rather dodgy in the current climate.

Then there is "All Things Bright and Beautiful". Mention of the rich man in his castle and the poor man at the gate is a no go area these days.

The National Anthem? Better not upset the North British with the reference to General wade.

Bernard

Don't get me started on "Jeruselem", in England's green and pleasant land?, my backside, about 400 miles too far south.

Bernard

Well, I won't miss the "rich man in his castle and the poor man at the gate", coming with the assertion that that's how some god made them so the poor man should damn well know his place. I found that grotesque when I was supposed to sing it at school 50 years ago.

• RMweb Premium

640px-Widnes_Smoke.jpg

Brit15 (cough cough !!)

It did have the line about "dark satanic mills." Interesting line of vans, wonder what they were for (AIUI most general traffic was in open wagons then, so presumably something that needed protecting from the weather).

• Like 1

Don't get me started on "Jeruselem", in England's green and pleasant land?, my backside, about 400 miles too far south.

Of course, "Jerusalem was builded here, in England's green and pleasant land" in Lincolnshire - although whilst that county may be green , I didn't consider it particularly "pleasant", whilst I sojourned in it!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem,_Lincolnshire But I'd add another couple of hundred miles to the "400 miles south" to reach my "green and pleasant bit!"

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

And James Bond (pure fiction of course) always committed to "England"

Sean Connery - Scottish

Tim Dalton - Welsh

Pierce Brosnan - Irish

George Lazenby - Australian

Daniel Craig  - English,  with distant French Huguenot and Welsh ancestry

Roger Moore - English

It did have the line about "dark satanic mills." Interesting line of vans, wonder what they were for (AIUI most general traffic was in open wagons then, so presumably something that needed protecting from the weather).

Chemical factories at Widnes - Part of the LNWR Widnes - Runcorn viaduct / bridge is in the background. Bagged chemicals probably.

Anyway - Widnes & Jokes.

Girl on her first date says to boyfriend "Kiss me where it smells" - so he took her to Widnes !!

Plaque on Widnes North station - though some say Paul Simon was awaiting a train at Ditton Junction station back in '65.

Widnes-Station-1.jpg

I have many memories (both good and bad) of working in and around Widnes on standby gas engineering duties - yes indeed a mucky town - but as they say  over in Yorkshire "Where there's muck there's money" - very, very apt in my case, I was always busy there, however even I was always glad to get out of Widnes and be "homeward bound" on the M62 / M6 to Wigan.

Just don't go into a chip shop in Widnes and ask for pie and chips - they throw the pie into the chip fat to "warm" it - a hanging offence in Wigan  !!!!.

Brit15

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The thing about 'Jerusalem' is that the answer to every question in the first verse is 'No'.

Whilst one hasn't enough hands for all the equipment in the second verse, even assuming the chariot comes with a charioteer and one has a quiver for the arrows.

I thought it was Westminster Abbey that had got on the wrong side of the poet?

• Like 1