The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The Forum Jokes Thread

Colin_McLeod

Message added by AY Mod,

Sexist, racist or religious jokes aren't funny - keep them to yourself!

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Extra extra pedant alert; there was a precedent for renaming Kings to honour the current monarch set  by Stephen's renaming as Edward VIII, admittedly not continued with George VI (prime candidate John if Stephen indicated a policy of renaming Kings viewed as less successful by historians).  You can't really name a King class loco after a Queen, you need a new class.

Extra extra extra pedant alert; there was a continuation of previous policy regarding locomotives on all the BIg 4 railways for some time after the date of nationalisation, as by and large the CME departments retained the staff in post.  It was not until the WR resisted the introduction of BR standard locos and asked for more Castles, 2884s, and 5101s as opposed to Britannias, 9Fs, and 3MT prairies that the concept of the 'Great Western Region' took root, though there had been the kerfuffle about the Ivatt 2MT moguls that replaced Dean Goods on the Mid-Wales line*.  The ordering of Hydraulics was widely considered as a continuation of this, but was in fact a rational decision given the power-to-weight ratios desirable for the South Devon banks.

*if you don't know the story, in 1949 BR upgraded the stock used on the Brecon-Moat Lane services with brand new Hawksworth coaches and Ivatt 2MT moguls.  The loco crews complained to Brecon and Moat Lane shed foremen that the 2MTs did not steam as well as the previous Dean Goods; this on a route with only one significant bank, small loads, and a very easy timetable.  The complaints were passed to division at Croes Newydd, who passed them to Marylebone, who passed them to Derby, responsible for the design.  Derby responded with a letter suggesting that Moat Lane and Brecon would prefer it if the Ivatts had copper capped chimneys, and that the design was a proven success that nobody else had found any fault with, so there...

An Ivatt was sent to Swindon for testing, but how could a Victorian goods loco compare to a modern, efficient, proven design like the Ivatt 2MT?   Tests however proved that the steaming rate of the Dean Goods was significantly better than the Ivatt, and the problem was given to Sam Ell, an acknowledged wizard with steaming and exhausts, to sort out.  He rejigged the exhaust and provided a slightly larger diameter chimney, which resulted in the Ivatt being able to haul a 20 coach test train at 60mph on the main line.  

Ivatt 2MTs, and their BR 78xxx counterparts, put in good service with happy crews on the Mid Wales route thereafter, and occasionally appeared on the very demanding Brecon-Newport services.  The LMR applied it's own alterations to the draughting; I could not say whether these were as good as the Swindon ones, you would need to speak to someone who worked on both.

The answer was obvious,  the Western Region were putting the wrong sort of water in the boiler.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

What I like is that they're Heddlu.  The most humourless police forces in the United Kingdom!

(Though I'm worried about the one closest to "camera", it appears to be a lobster...)

Maybe he has crabs.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Hroth said:

What I like is that they're Heddlu.  The most humourless police forces in the United Kingdom!

(Though I'm worried about the one closest to "camera", it appears to be a lobster...)

Maybe he's the one who pinches you...

Edited by Al51
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

There must be an element at least of humour about Heddlu; the closest translation is 'Old Bill".  They have an odd perception of traffic problems and civil disobedience though, Dyfed Powys once describing a lack of parking in Tenby on as 'total gridlock'; there was a queue of about 40 cars waiting for space in the multi-story.   The same force described a pub brawl amongst Methyr lads at Brecon Jazz as a 'leading to a total breakdown of law and order'; I was there that year and it was no worse than a Sunday lunchtime in Merthyr...   They seemed to think they were on the front line in Brixton or Notting Hill, not policing a rural community; admittedly rural communities have their issues,  but Heddlu Dyfed Powys could be relied on to egg it a bit when they were describing incidents.

I don't think they were any more or less prone to humour than any other force, though.  Police humour is deadpan and deals with some grim subjects, and is not always appreciated by the public at large.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jcm@gwr said:

What do you call a man who hangs around with musicians?

A drummer!

What do you call a drummer without a girlfriend:

Homeless.  

The band are in the green room waiting to be called on stage when somebody knocks the door.  'Come in', says the lead singer, but nobody does.  Few minutes later the door is knocked again.  'Come in' says the rythym guitarist, a bit louder, but nobody does.  Few minutes later, knock knock again; 'COME THE F*** IN' yells the bass player.  'I know who it is, it's the lead guitarist' says the drummer, opening the door to let the lead guitarist in.  'How did you know that', ask the others, and the drummer says 'he never knows when to come in'!

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Man goes to Africa for his holidays. Checking into his hotel he hears drumming in the distance.

Intrigued by this drumming he asks the receptionist about them? "When the drumming stops it goes bad"

He goes up to his room and still hears the drums. So he turns to the porter and asks him about the drums, "When the drumming stops it goes evil"

Starting to get a bit nervous he decided to go to the bar and have a drink. He can still hear the drums but thinks they'll go away. However after an hour they are still going on and getting louder. 

The barman gets a bit worried and asks the man what is wrong.

"I've been told that when the drums stop it goes bad. I've also been told when the drums stop it goes evil. Is it a tribe of cannibals coming to eat us?"

"No. When drums stop, bass solo starts"

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 11

Start the Pick of the Pops music playing. Here's the Top Ten Albums You Will Never See on Spotify - 

10. Iron Maiden Sing The Songs of Walt Disney
9. Together At Last - Cliff Richard And Marilyn Manson
8  Bangin' Ibiza Party Anthems - Morrissey
7. 20 Great Prog Rock Classics - Chas and Dave
6. Life Is All Hugs and Puppies - Slayer
5. Mutha****** Carols From Kings - The Choir of Kings College, Cambridge, featuring Snoop Dogg
4. The Best Irish Jigs and Reels - Pink Floyd
3. Never Mind the B*ll*cks, Here's the Osmonds
2. The Glory of Eurovision
1. Kraftwerk Unplugged

Any more just lurking outside the Top Ten?

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 9

15 minutes ago, CameronL said:

Start the Pick of the Pops music playing. Here's the Top Ten Albums You Will Never See on Spotify - 

10. Iron Maiden Sing The Songs of Walt Disney

I'm pretty sure there has been more than one Heavy Metal bands doing Disney albums or songs. The problem is getting the rights to do it. Disney are a bit funny about who they let use their characters and songs.

This was done by a member of Nightwish and a few friends.

spacer.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_Inspired_by_the_Life_and_Times_of_Scrooge

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1