The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The Forum Jokes Thread

Colin_McLeod

Message added by AY Mod,

Sexist, racist or religious jokes aren't funny - keep them to yourself!

25 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

It was a comedy show around a decade ago. Like many such shows it had the odd gem surrounded by a lot of dross…

"Don't you want my ring-dings?".

Edited by 33C
Missing letter.

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I reckon I am pretty good as a descriptive writer, at least by amatuer standards, but I would have no idea how to even begin to explain panto to anyone who was not British and had not grown up with the tradition.  It makes about as much sense as most opera storylines, and while I suppose it is analagous to Punch & Judy in some ways, the sexual confusion inherent in a form of theatre in which the leading boy is a girl and everyone crossdresses, as children's entertainment, while simultaneously claiming not to have any sexual agenda beause it's 'just pantomine', takes the form into the unexplainable.  Yet it this foreigner-baffling art form makes complete sense to us Brits!

Perhaps you should begin with something simpler to explain, such as cricket.

• Like 4
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Perhaps you should begin with something simpler to explain, such as cricket.

Cricket is very simple as I'm sure we all know

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.

Each man that’s in the side that’s in the field goes out and when he’s out comes in and the next man goes in until he’s out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in.

When they are all out, the side that’s out comes in and the side that’s been in goes out and tries to get those coming in out.

Sometimes there are men still in and not out.

There are men called umpires who stay out all the time, and they decide when the men who are in are out.

Depending on the weather and the light, the umpires can also send everybody in, no matter whether they’re in or out.

When both sides have been in and all the men are out (including those who are not out), then the game is finished.

Andi

Edited by Dagworth
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 5
  • Funny 2

11 hours ago, Dagworth said:

Cricket is very simple as I'm sure we all know

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.

(snip)

When both sides have been in and all the men are out (including those who are not out), then the game is finished.

Andi

Very good. Now explain the Duckworth-Lewis method!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

That's easy. It's a fantasy cricket game played when it's raining.

I thought that was the the Australian preferential voting system.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

That's easy. It's a fantasy cricket game played when it's raining.

Then is totally   bonkers when the rain stops.   The team batting second has to score more runs in less overs than the team batting first???

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, Dagworth said:

Each man that’s in the side that’s in the field goes out and when he’s out comes in and the next man goes in until he’s out.

Sorry, you got that bit wrong. ;)  try again.

At least cricket doesn't have the off-side rule. :rolleyes:

11 minutes ago, CHAZ D said:

But how many can understand the LBW rule?

LBW is really rather simple:

If the ball hits the batsman (without first hitting his bat or a hand holding the bat) when it was otherwise going to hit the wicket, then he is to be judged out LBW, unless:

(1) the ball pitched (bounced) only on the leg side or

(2) the ball hit the batsman outside the off stump and the umpire adjudges that the batsman was genuinely attempting to play the ball.

49 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

LBW is really rather simple:

If the ball hits the batsman (without first hitting his bat or a hand holding the bat) when it was otherwise going to hit the wicket, then he is to be judged out LBW, unless: 

(1) the ball pitched (bounced) only on the leg side or 

(2) the ball hit the batsman outside the off stump and the umpire adjudges that the batsman was genuinely attempting to play the ball.

By that standard, the football offside rule is also simple:

A player is in an offside position if (s)he is between the ball and the opponents’ goal line, unless:

(then follow more than 2 exceptions)

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

At least cricket doesn't have the off-side rule. :rolleyes:

No rules in football, just laws, and only 17 of them, but they are ballooning in size. When I played there were 4 sending off offences, now there are 8, all accompanied with a long winded explanation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

What if the bowler's Holding, the batsman's Willey?

:jester:

The commentator possibly ate too much of the sherry trifle that a listener sent in? :scratchhead:

:crazy:

• Funny 2

10 hours ago, pH said:

A player is in an offside position if (s)he is between the ball and the opponents’ goal line, unless:

Exactly, but VAR in particular is taking it to new exremes, so a player's big toe can be deemed offside. :rolleyes:  :banghead:

LBW is the third most common way of being given Out in Cricket, so it can't be that hard. :blum:

13 hours ago, pH said:

I used to understand it.  Now it seems - or it's interpretation - to change every week.

• RMweb Gold

Chum of mine has a husband who is a yottie, and according to him the offside rule and cricket pale into insignificance compared to sailing race rules.  If you watch a race, you assume that the boat that crosses the finishing line first is the winner, allowing for class and assuming it has kept to the course, but apparently what actually happens is that they all go out to race, and when they come back, the real competition is held in the club committee room as each skipper registers complaints that all the others have cheated, failed to give way, missed bouys, flown the wrong flags/burgees, worn the wrong tie, failed to illuminate their navigation lights in broad daylight or anything else they can think of.  The cup goes to the skipper who buys the club secretary the most gin and tonics at the club bar as everything descends into a drunken haze and the barmaid is the only one left capable of ordering the taxis.

• Like 2
  • Funny 14