Inspection Saloon

Chameleon

• RMweb Gold

Great plan to paint the wheels Coach

Think I shall do the backs and axles on mine too.

Is it worth rotating the bogie 180 to give a solid bogie frame at the outer end? Have already removed the NEM pocket at the "free" end as we will always be propelling from the opposite ends.

Phil

I must admit that looks rather nice Larry, are the bogies the same as the Portholes?

Yesterday I finished the master for the LMS coach buffer and it's in the mould that's curing now, should be casting by Monday.

Oh, and by the way mine are 18'' or 1'6''

Dave Franks.

Edited by davefrk
  • Like 1

I must admit that looks rather nice Larry, are the bogies the same as the Portholes?

Yesterday I finished the master for the LMS coach buffer and it's in the mould that's curing now, should be casting by Monday.

Oh, and by the way mine are 18'' or 1'6''

They are the same 'welded' type bogies as in the Portholes. I've just altered my typo to 6mm buffers heads (not 16mm!)

Feck, something is really wrong with my PC. The typeface has changed and Javascript wont allow me to use smileys. What was that light switch Stationmaster referred to?

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

My BR maroon example is in the post from Hattons as I write and I'm looking forward to it. I'm also taking note of the comments re buffers, bogies etc and wondering how to replace the sprung buffers with others that are sprung. All will no doubt become clear on arrival. My thanks to Larry and others for their comments.

I think my order to Comet might get to quite large proportions. Replacement bogies I had assumed, but now a supply of buffer heads as well. Not a problem, it's rare for a RTR manufacturer not to get something wrong and the model looks to be a cracker.

Regards

Edited by PenrithBeacon

My BR maroon example is in the post from Hattons as I write and I'm looking forward to it. I'm also taking note of the comments re buffers, bogies etc and wondering how to replace the sprung buffers with others that are sprung. All will no doubt become clear on arrival. My thanks to Larry and others for their comments.

Hello David,

For the purposes of clarity, when your model arrives, you will see that the buffers aren't sprung, but as previously stated in this thread, the heads can easily be pulled out.

I have it on good authority that Bachmann are moving away from sprung buffers as they consider them pointless (no pun and all that) and fragile.  Perhaps Bachmann haven't considered (relatively) close coupling on medium radius crossovers.

Alun

Found this fot of 45030 in Glasgow Queen St circa 1987:

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete.php?id=24053

I bought a comet kit ( typical ) a couple of years ago with the intention of recreating this formation for my version of Queen St - got as far as building the bogies when Bachmann announced that they'd be releasing one..........

My choice now is whether to carry on with the Comet kit or get one of these excellent looking Bachmann versions. And if anyone is maybe being put off by the Bachmann price - try adding up what a Comet kit, wheels, paint, transfers and above all time, would cost you!

Cheers

Andy

• Like 1

Hello David,

For the purposes of clarity, when your model arrives, you will see that the buffers aren't sprung, but as previously stated in this thread, the heads can easily be pulled out.

I have it on good authority that Bachmann are moving away from sprung buffers as they consider them pointless (no pun and all that) and fragile.  Perhaps Bachmann haven't considered (relatively) close coupling on medium radius crossovers.

Alun

Agreed. I was informed that one of the main reasons for moving away from sprung buffering was because of how much it adds onto the RRP - sad really.

cheers

Andy

...I was informed that one of the main reasons for moving away from sprung buffering was because of how much it adds onto the RRP - sad really.

Yes, it is a shame, bearing in mind the RRP has gone up considerably anyway, not that the pricing is a criticism with the model being discussed in this thread.  To be fair, it's not a new change, the Derby Lightweight DMU has fixed buffers, whereas the Craven and 108 that preceded it are sprung.

Alun

Hello David,

Alun

Did any Bachmann coaches ever have sprung buffers? I cannot think of any.

Found some 6mm dia. buffer heads in the spares boxes. An easy fix to replace, and it makes all the difference. DM45029 should now have no problems with the sharp curves towards Llan Ffestiniog.

Merf.

The 6mm buffers make all the difference. I hadn't realised you had modelled beyond Blaenau to Llan Ffestiniog. Have you rented next doors attic Merf?  :mosking:

Edited by coachmann

Did any Bachmann coaches ever have sprung buffers? I cannot think of any.

That's a good point, but as I said in a later post, the Craven and Class 108 DMUs did.  Also, Hornby fit sprung buffers to their premium coaches.

Alun

• RMweb Premium

The 6mm buffers make all the difference. I hadn't realised you had modelled beyond Blaenau to Llan Ffestiniog. Have you rented next doors attic Merf?  :mosking:

The neighbours complained about funny noises in the attic so he managed to convince them that it was haunted and they daren't go up there to investigate. :jester:  :scared:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Found some 6mm dia. buffer heads in the spares boxes. An easy fix to replace, and it makes all the difference. DM45029 should now have no problems with the sharp curves towards Llan Ffestiniog.

Merf.

Have the buffer heads got the flange and bolt detail on the rear, if so, what make were they?

Mike.

If anyone's still looking for a blue/grey one, Buffers Model Railways had three on the shelf on Thursday when I was in the shop.

When I left the shop, there were two on the shelf.  Oops.  I hadn't really planned that but it was too good a model to miss.

Just cast the first of the LMS coach buffers, rather nice, if I say so myself. Will post a photo later.

And I've decided to do the funny shaped one for the Lima bogie CCT/GUV thingy too.

All dimensions and details from SRPS coaches at Bo-ness, thanks guys.

Dave Franks

• Like 3

Does anybody know what type of locos would have hauled the inspection saloon in the early 1960's?

Hello Colin,

As previously stated, you would be safe with an Ivatt Class 2 2-6-0, a Standard Class 2 2-6-0 (see link) and by then, a Sulzer Type 2 (class 24 or 25).  I haven't seen many pictures of them paired with anything else until much later.

Alun

Hello Colin,

As previously stated, you would be safe with an Ivatt Class 2 2-6-0, a Standard Class 2 2-6-0 (see link) and by then, a Sulzer Type 2 (class 24 or 25).  I haven't seen many pictures of them paired with anything else until much later.

Alun

And I notice that the airhorns are fitted even at this date, guessimated between 57 and 62 judging by the lack of electrication flashes on the coach end, anyone agree with that?

Dave Franks.