Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Prototype for everything corner.

Here's a train makeup which might raise a few eyebrows in model form: photographed climbing Shap on 15th July 1967 is a 'Black 5' with a four-coach train bound for Carlisle. Three of the coaches are ex-LMS I believe (fair enough) but the first one (unless I'm mistaken) is  a BR Mk1 - in Southern Region green! Perhaps a transfer prior to repainting? The train (reporting number 1L27) which was steam-hauled from Crewe that summer, was the 11.55(SO) ex-Euston which split at Oxenholme (for Windermere), with the front 3 or 4 coaches for Carlisle. I saw the train several times that summer but never again with a green coach.

A colour shot of this train, photographed lower down the bank on the same day, appeared in one of the railways mags a few months ago which reminded me I had this b&w version.

post-24907-0-46223100-1508867165_thumb.jpg

Trevor

Edited by Trev52A
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

The paint used in the late 1940s to paint out previous pre-war liveries was mostly of poor quality, so it faded so badly that underlying livery fragments came to light again.

I remember the Midland 2F from Monument Lane which ran on the Harborne Branch around 1960/61 had the outline of its LMS number clearly visible through a thin covering of black paint from when it got its BR number
  • Like 1

You certainly have a knack of catching some tremendous photos Trev! I'm also including the Western ones on the Hydraulic group. Nice to see some P3 Staniers. The composite looks in quite a fresh condition considering they were in their twilight.

Top work!

Regards

Guy

You certainly have a knack of catching some tremendous photos Trev! I'm also including the Western ones on the Hydraulic group. Nice to see some P3 Staniers. The composite looks in quite a fresh condition considering they were in their twilight.

Top work!

Regards

Guy

Thanks, Guy.

The photo also shows we shouldn't worry too much if the coach roofs on our layouts don't match!

Cheers

Trevor

I wonder what that working is? It is certainly well patronised. 

The green Mk1 is probably one of those which appeared quite regularly in the mid to late 60s in northern England. Wasn't it something to do with a move of steam heat vehicles away from the SR after the Bournemouth electrification went live?

I know a few appear on Woodhead videos prior to the cessation of regular schedule passenger services over that route; and one turns up at Church Fenton on videos of local York-Leeds commuter services. 

I also remember one or two turning up in the consist of holiday trains to Skegness and Mablethorpe during the late 60s. 

Note also, the different positions for the electrification warning plates and the left side lamp.....  and the lengths of the handrails above the head code boxes.  

Edited by jonny777

Note also, the different positions for the electrification warning plates and the left side lamp.....  and the lengths of the handrails above the head code boxes.  

First rule of Class 22 detail picking : no two are exactly alike..!

Yes it is Russ, off the top of my head, likely candidates with the bolted on headcode boxes would be D6302, D6307 and D6324, a date for the photo would help but I suspect it could well be D6307. D6302 was modified to flush boxes and repainted BFYE later on. Little known fact - D6326 also had the bolted on variety for a very short period in green but I don't think this one is it.

Edited by Rugd1022

First rule of Class 22 detail picking : no two are exactly alike..!

Surely that applies to any reasonably large class of locomotive. Hence the sentence in most kit instructions "Try and obtain clear photographs of the loco.you wish to model"

• RMweb Premium

Surely that applies to any reasonably large class of locomotive. Hence the sentence in most kit instructions "Try and obtain clear photographs of the loco.you wish to model"

Doesn't need to be a reasonably large class !!

Here's 50% of gWr's 57 fleet, one has white cab door handrails the other silver, one black cab window surrounds the other green, yellow or black rimmed lights, different size numbers, with or without electric flashes, orange cantrail stripe in a different place........

Cheers,

Phil.

post-4971-0-47148800-1509054696_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-50093000-1509054712_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

It's a 1568:

https://flic.kr/p/YDg5yn

It was supposedly a means of combatting leaf fall/wheel slide problems.

The 156 has clasp brakes that clean the tread surface, whereas the 158 has disc brakes and the wheels are very prone to building up leaf mulch.

The experiment didn't last long.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Stuck your BR 'double arrow' on back to front? Don't worry, the big trains did it as well!

attachicon.gif(2298bS) D5068 Carlisle 1-4-67 (T Ermel).jpg

Carlisle, 1st April 1967 (No, it's not an 'April Fool'!)

Trevor

If it's a transfer how does that happen?

Rotate it 180 and it's still the same!

Keith

It was supposedly a means of combatting leaf fall/wheel slide problems.

The 156 has clasp brakes that clean the tread surface, whereas the 158 has disc brakes and the wheels are very prone to building up leaf mulch.

The experiment didn't last long.

Cheers,

Mick

Just a thought, but was it necessarily to do with adhesion, or was it not the case that for the reason you say the Class 158 were disappearing off track circuits as the wheel surface was not being conditioned/ scrubbed. I believe this led to the partially accidental invention of TCA (Track Circuit Assist), which was then retrofitted to the 158s.

Wild Boar Fell

• RMweb Gold

FUNNELS!!! Steam engines have chimneys; ships have funnels!

Apologies, I was thinking of putting smokestacks but thought that was a bit too old fashioned ;)

Where I woz from, factories had chimbleys...

Edited by Ramblin Rich
  • Like 2

Stuck your BR 'double arrow' on back to front? Don't worry, the big trains did it as well!

attachicon.gif(2298bS) D5068 Carlisle 1-4-67 (T Ermel).jpg

Carlisle, 1st April 1967 (No, it's not an 'April Fool'!)

Trevor

Just checked the 1967 BR Rule Book, it says when the above backwards logo is encountered, it means bang road working will be instigated!

• RMweb Premium

If it's a transfer how does that happen?

Rotate it 180 and it's still the same! 

Keith

Rotating 180 deg does not give the

same result as back to front