Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Premium
On 19/02/2022 at 22:28, newbryford said:

Ribble Motor Services had some vehicles classified as DP - dual purpose - so they could be used on longer distance coach or shorter stage service bus duty........ And in NBC days, they carried the coach livery on the upper half (white) and the bus livery of red on the lower half.

I think Midland Red also had vehicles that did both.

Stagecoach have used 'bus/coaches' for some of their longer routes in Cumbria in modern times. (e.g. Plaxton Interurbans - now mostly retired)

Built like a coach with luggage under and coach like seating but intended for longer bus routes.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 19/02/2022 at 22:28, newbryford said:

Ribble Motor Services had some vehicles classified as DP - dual purpose - so they could be used on longer distance coach or shorter stage service bus duty........ And in NBC days, they carried the coach livery on the upper half (white) and the bus livery of red on the lower half.

Red & White was a bus company in its own right, operating in Monmouthhire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Red_%26_White_coach_RC968_(OAX_9F),_2011_Bristol_Vintage_Bus_Group_open_day_(1).jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Chatham_2013_-_Red_and_White_U1766_(JAX117E).jpg

3 hours ago, melmerby said:

I think Midland Red also had vehicles that did both.

Stagecoach have used 'bus/coaches' for some of their longer routes in Cumbria in modern times. (e.g. Plaxton Interurbans - now mostly retired)

Built like a coach with luggage under and coach like seating but intended for longer bus routes.

Were't there things called 'Bus Grant Doors' fitted to dual-purpose vehicles?

Regarding 'two-tone' colour schemes; Bristol Omnibus used green and cream for the single-decker vehicles on longer-distance routes, such as those to Wells, Cheddar etc. This was in mid-1970s when I lived there.

Edited by Fat Controller
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

Need a cheap and interesting setpiece for your preserved railway layout? Buy a couple of second-hand Thomas toys on Ebay, lop the faces off, and prop them up against a fence:IMG_20210830_122956137_HDR.jpg.7dbc347720eb837aa6d5c42a2ee0bea5.jpg

Edited by eldomtom2
reuploading image
  • Like 3
  • Funny 2

On 19/02/2022 at 19:08, stewartingram said:

That's not a bus, it's a coach!

On 19/02/2022 at 20:39, leopardml2341 said:

For that, you need to identify the body and chassis....... :mosking:

1 hour ago, Co-tr-Paul said:

It has Coachwork by Plaxton. An early Panorama. 

I must admit, my first thought was Duple Commander.....

Ex Hollingshead, Scholar Green GTU 119G

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KingEdwardII said:

Looks more like the San Andreas fault! Do we have seismic activity in Herefordshire???

Yours,  Mike.

Apparently yes, there is a fault line through the Malverns for one matter but apparently the county is an earthquake hotspot for England; so the theory might not be quite as ridiculous as it might seem at first perhaps? ;)

21 hours ago, eldomtom2 said:

Need a cheap and interesting setpiece for your preserved railway layout? Buy a couple of second-hand Thomas toys on Ebay, lop the faces off, and prop them up against a fence:

IMG_20210830_122956137_HDR.jpg.73350d8bb52267e749113f5bc5c882f3.jpg

Is John "Face/Off" Woo directing the next Thomas The Tank Engine film?

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, KingEdwardII said:

Looks more like the San Andreas fault! Do we have seismic activity in Herefordshire???

Yours,  Mike.

8 hours ago, hexagon789 said:

Apparently yes, there is a fault line through the Malverns for one matter but apparently the county is an earthquake hotspot for England; so the theory might not be quite as ridiculous as it might seem at first perhaps? ;)

That dip has been there some time. I had the pleasure of looking for gradients in the Wales and Borders Route and used diagrams produced by the Great Western Railway and the dip was shown as 1:100.

• RMweb Gold
On 02/03/2022 at 20:26, eldomtom2 said:

Need a cheap and interesting setpiece for your preserved railway layout? Buy a couple of second-hand Thomas toys on Ebay, lop the faces off, and prop them up against a fence:

IMG_20210830_122956137_HDR.jpg.73350d8bb52267e749113f5bc5c882f3.jpg

Interestingly up for sale and with just a collecting tin so not expected to reach much £. TTE interest on the wane or just rights holders wanting so much that events are not viable? Suspect the latter.

• RMweb Gold

Interesting observation in the Railways of the North east YouTube video at 31:45  See 31:45+    The train is  a J27 - brake Van - then two coal wagons but no brake van on the back. It wasn't a working within station limits or yard shunt but going quite fast up a main route so not something I recall seeing before. Grey liveried stock so assuming not vac fitted. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

It will probably be a working authorised in the relevant Section Appendix; these allowed all sorts of things including running without brake vans, and propelling with or without brake vans right or wrong line.  I suspect that this is the outward leg of a trip that will be propelled on the return leg with the bv leading because of the layout of the sidings at the destination.

Taken as an example, because I was familiar with it, the 'North Curve Pilot', which shunted Penarth North Curve yard (at the back of Canton shed, not in Penarth) and tripped to Ferry Road, propelling on the outward leg, and Ely Paper Mill on the Radyr Quarry branch, which involved propelling on the outward leg and hauling wrong road on the return leg (I used to like this job because you got to play with the Paper Mill's RSH saddle tank).  No brake van was used for any of this despite the vacuum not being connected even when the stock had vacuum brakes.  All running lines involved were dead level and not sharply curved (dead straight in the case of the section between Ninian Park Halt and the Paper Mill); propelling unbraked wagons down gradients or hauling them up was a no-no, and drivers' forward visibility had to be taken into account as well.  Significantly, I think, these trips were timed to take place during daylight hours. 

North Curve was a great place to acquire the basics of railway work...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

gwrbsh1180.jpg

27th April 1963 Snow Hill station, Footex 2

48417 piloting 34039 Boscastle

Also in Snow hill that day on Footex were

48430 + 34046 Braunton & 48478 + 34009 Lyme Regis

Without assistance were 9 other light pacifics.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 14

On 15/04/2022 at 09:09, melmerby said:

Not bad

Fourth rail and a red underground train at Castleford - good catch! 😄

I was meaning the single large number of 56096. A first example for myself although one could argue everything is prototypical operation because everything has a reason for happening. I interpret this thread as unusual workings etc.

The underground clip is a clip on the videos of the person.