Prototype for everything corner.

If Deltics in general never had OHLE warning stickers, 

They did have them. 

And just to make sure my memory is not that far gone, I looked at a few of my photos at random from the 1970s, and the first three I chose (55006/7/8) all have them on the nose just above and to the outside of the the lamp housing.

Edited, to add that looking at more photos they seem to have gained them around 1976, although I have a photo of 55001 purporting to be from March 1974 and it has them at that early stage, but I have yet to find others with them in 1975. 

Edited by jonny777

• RMweb Gold

They did have them. 

And just to make sure my memory is not that far gone, I looked at a few of my photos at random from the 1970s, and the first three I chose (55006/7/8) all have them on the nose just above and to the outside of the the lamp housing.

Edited, to add that looking at more photos they seem to have gained them around 1976, although I have a photo of 55001 purporting to be from March 1974 and it has them at that early stage, but I have yet to find others with them in 1975. 

Electrification flashes were introduced in the early 60s, more than a decade before this, and appeared on steam locos still extant then.  Being stickyback (isn't that a sort of fish) labels issued to depots they were applied to locos and stock almost overnight, even quickly appearing on freight stock that one could climb on such as coal hoppers and presflos.  The Deltic situation seems anomalous.

• RMweb Premium

E3173 - aka 'zebedee' - the first one to get flexicoil suspension and apparently the british rail speed record holder (129mph)

(according to https://www.aclocogroup.co.uk/data86.php )

this must've been set in late 1970/ early '71 as described here: http://www.traintesting.com/high_speed_testing.htm

I take it that before this, the speed record was still Mallard's 126mph? Then again I don't think I've ever heard of the 129mph before - possibly not glamorous or important enough for the general public?

Edited by keefer

They did have them. 

Here is the photo of 55001 in March 1974, according to the slide notes. 

Unfortunately, I am pretty certain that is wrong because domino headcodes were not around then, but I am not a Deltic expert and so have no idea when certain modifications were made. 

The left hand electrification sticker is not in the 'normal' position seen on other members of the class.

post-4474-0-25737100-1512141871_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

The December 2017 issue of British Railways Illustrated has pictures of A4 locos 60019 and 60034 being turned at Aberdeen Ferryhill Depot, in, it is thought, 1966; Both locos have OLE flashes, which makes it strange that Deltics didn't get them until much later.

On the face of it, it does; but there was a chance that A4s might be seen under the wires if they wandered away from their normal routes. Whereas as Deltics for various reasons were pretty much confined to the ECML in the 1960s, so there must have been a decision made that they would not need them. 

As roythebus said earlier in the thread, it was only when electrification was started at the southern end of the ECML in the mid-70s that the flashes were added. 

On the face of it, it does; but there was a chance that A4s might be seen under the wires if they wandered away from their normal routes. Whereas as Deltics for various reasons were pretty much confined to the ECML in the 1960s, so there must have been a decision made that they would not need them. 

As roythebus said earlier in the thread, it was only when electrification was started at the southern end of the ECML in the mid-70s that the flashes were added. 

Didn't some A4s also gain 'Yellow-Stripes' late on, so presumably they would have had flashes.

• RMweb Premium

They were called stickle bricks

I know. It was an attempt to be funny.

(I seem to remember that the original class 150 seats were held on with something looking like a small sticklebrick...and it held them on about as well as you'd think).

Edited by Coryton

Maybe the A4s carried them because of ole in the Glasgow area?

As I recall 60031 was remarkable for receiving the yellow stripe.

The stripe denoted that the loco was not to work south of Crewe due to reduced clearance on the OHLE.

As an aside Austerities with WR top feeds also received the stripes as it put them outside the 'new' loading gauge, I found this out while trying to find a suitable number for a WR modified Ozzie allocated to Colwick or any other shed in the former ER Nottingham area. The only one fitting the bill was 90466 so that had to be the one.

Some of Annesley's Scots also got the stripes or were at least prepared for them, there are photos of them with a clean strip down the Cabside, but maybe they were withdrawn instead, absolutely kna**ered would be the polite term for them by the time they were sent to Annesley

The BRILL issue was No.2 Vol. 2 December 1992 - January 1993. The loco is indeed 60031, but also in view are rebuilt Baby Scot 5530 and Standard Tank 80054, the original Hornby Dublo model. The shed was St. Margarets. No date is given, but the photographer was P. Ward.

An interesting discussion on the provision, or otherwise, of OLE warning flashes. Is the general consensus that someone in BR did actually have the job of assessing where each item of stock was liable to run, and deciding whether or not to apply the flashes accordingly ? I am still slightly dubious, firstly because although a particular item or type of stock did not normally run under OLE that didn't mean it never would, and secondly because electrification was being extended to more routes and mileage, through the 1960s and 1970s.

• RMweb Gold

An interesting discussion on the provision, or otherwise, of OLE warning flashes. Is the general consensus that someone in BR did actually have the job of assessing where each item of stock was liable to run, and deciding whether or not to apply the flashes accordingly ? I am still slightly dubious, firstly because although a particular item or type of stock did not normally run under OLE that didn't mean it never would, and secondly because electrification was being extended to more routes and mileage, through the 1960s and 1970s.

I'm sure someone did - for example ohle warning symbols, and the frame on the tender, began to appear on 'Manors' before the larger ex GWR 4-6-0 classes.  Reason - 'Manors' worked to Crewe and Crewe had 25kv overhead.

• RMweb Premium

Here is the photo of 55001 in March 1974, according to the slide notes. 

Unfortunately, I am pretty certain that is wrong because domino headcodes were not around then, but I am not a Deltic expert and so have no idea when certain modifications were made.

I think the date may be correct - i'm sure some of the deltics got dominos well before headcodes were abolished. does anyone know why this was, as it would be several yrs later before other classes got them?