Fryers Lane - Speedlink in the '80s (P4)

Mark Forrest

• RMweb Premium

What a weekend!

Really pleased with how well the layout ran. Yes, the couplings need more work and layout itself (and the stock) is still a work in progress. Having spent a couple of days operating I might revise the fiddle yard design to make them easier to use and more reliable.

Thanks to Terry Bendall and the Scaleforum team for inviting the layout despite it being unfinished and to everybody who chatted with me over the weekend. Thanks also to Andy and Chris for their help operating (and Mike for the banter!).

A great weekend - after a couple of frantic weeks getting the layout ready I'm completely exhausted now though!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

While the weekend is still fresh in my mind, ignoring for a moment the unfinished elements of the layout it's time for some reflections on what went well and what didn't.

Overall the track on the scenic board was fine, no major issues and no persistent derailments.  Some slight manual adjustment of the turnout operating linkages was required (in one case due to a screw falling out in transit), but the servos worked consistently and reliably.  A couple of the wagons in particular could do with a little more weight.  Where derailments did happen it was usually as a result of something coming off in the fiddle yard, but not being noticed until out front.  This the first time I've used steel rail (rather than nickel silver); it seemed to remain clean over the weekend and had no dirt issue with locos, most of which are fitted with Black Beetle wheels, which I believe are stainless steel.

I'm a little unimpressed with the frog juicer; the spark when it detects a short is far too obvious and I'm concerned about what damage this is doing to the rail and/or wheels.  I think I'll be looking at an alternative way of switching the common crossing polarity.  I need to spend more time setting up the AJs properly, some of them were fitted in a bit of a rush and caused a few issues, need to check the springiness of the coupling or the amount of counterweight is not too much for the magnets on a few of them too.

It is probably the fiddle yard which require the most attention.  The left end may get a couple of turnouts one on the mainline and one on the rear siding.  At the right end there is a height discrepancy at the board joint which needs sorting.  We didn't really use the cassettes as cassettes, just left them in place and I'm considering a sector plate possibly with a built in traverser on the deck for running round.

Finally, the thing which attracted the most comments; the lighting.  As I explained a few times over the weekend, the present lighting was chosen more on its availability than its specification!  Had I read the full spec (rather than buying in a hurry on a mobile app) I would have known that what I had was a "cool white" of 5500K, whereas the "warm white" I replaced was 3000K.  Daylight White lighting is (I gather) around 4500K.  I have bought a remote control dimmer to add to the existing set up to see what effect this has - I appreciate it wont change the colour, but will be interesting to experiment.  I'll probably add a section of warm white to balance the cool white and bring it closer to daylight, possibly also with a dimmer so I can tune the balance between the two.  I may also look at adding some diffused lighting at the rear or a warm white spotlight to add some directional lighting.  Basically, don't worry, I'm going to play around with a few different options, it won't look as blue next time!

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

That's both interesting and confusing Geoff, I did wonder what colour temperature those bulbs were rated at.

I wonder if part of my problem is that I have too much light, given that I am using 5m of LEDs to light a <1.5m long layout. Will see what the dimmer does when it arrives.

• RMweb Premium

That's both interesting and confusing Geoff, I did wonder what colour temperature those bulbs were rated at.

I wonder if part of my problem is that I have too much light, given that I am using 5m of LEDs to light a <1.5m long layout. Will see what the dimmer does when it arrives.

Are the old lights beyond repair... I know that you had a go but went for a new set with the deadline imminent.

Andy

Oh very interesting.... I am keen to use LED strips on a 3600long layout. All just thinking about really but the problem of daylight/ warm white and intensity seem to be issues. I do wonder how many lumens your set up was kicking out as this is the intensity measurement!

I will be keen to see if a warm white light would be better for our uses.

The reason why I would use these lights is they are slim line, 12Volt and theoretically able to adjust the length and use a miniature plug and socket to join behind the fascia!