DJM wish list thread

DJM Dave

• RMweb Gold

How about a different way of trading? It's all very well people putting forward all their favourite prototypes for modelling, but if any of them is going to be made somehow or other the manufacturer has to be sure he is going to sell enough to recover his costs and make enough profit to keep the wolf from the door. So how about taking up a few of the suggestions above, costing them, then asking for a non-refundable deposit of somewhere between 25 and 50% of the estimated selling price (but refundable if the model does not go ahead). The results could be interesting.

Although I would like to see some "British OO track" as much as anyone, I wouldn't envy anyone who had to roll up here and state which set of the inevitable compromises had been chosen.

In any case, I suspect that the range would have to be fairly extensive from the outset and although it may ultimately prove profitable, it would be too much of a slow burner for DJM at this point in time. I can think of a scenario where it may be possible sooner rather than later but as I have no money to put where my mouth is, I'll keep that to myself.

I hope it's not long before DJM is at least in a position to give it serious consideration whatever the final decision.

In the meantime, the suggestion for the PEP unit variants looks like something to think about in the medium term. Something that could be drip fed over many years.

RP

Only just found this thread, already on page five ! wow, we are a little behind the times here in Canada.

Okay Dave, here is my wish list all in 00 , and all in 1930's livery:

Adam's 0415 Class Radial,

Adam's 0395 Class 0-6-0

Adam's A12 Class 0-4-2

Adam's  T3 Class 4-4-0

and ex LSWR carriage stock.

Many thanks and all the best,

Chris

Hornby Magazine have offered results of the most in demand models for the last few years and most of the main manufacturers have ignored the results. A K1 was in demand last survey. Q7 I believe was high in demand the year before.

I would like to see a Q7, K1 or a J27. Also the nice little RSH to the left of this post would be nice :yes:

Randomly I was looking at an old edition of Hornby Magazine, I can't remember which one either 2009 or 2010, and almost all the top 10 were now available R-T-R. It may take a while but it does seem that the big four do pay a fair bit of attention to it. I will have to try and find it again.

Another vote for a decent LNER shunter of some description, other than the J94 you're already doing and the Y1, and some more DMU's. Updated 155/156 maybe?

Edited by Charlie
  • Like 1

Is this the place to keep banging on about little industrials? ;)

Has anyone mentioned industrials?................................... :D

Other (locos):Industrial steam, an elderly Manning Wardle 0-6-0ST or a more modern Peckett 0-4-0ST would fill my bill.

A LNWR 0-6-2 Coal Tank

Peckett 0-4-0ST

Manning Wardle 0-6-0ST

Pretty please!

There we go - the Peckett 0-4-0ST, my favorite!

Put me down too for a nice, accurate prototype-based industrial (in 00). .... :)

Something from Peckett, Manning-Wardle, Avonside, Kitson, etc.

The other standout for me are steam railmotors. My hunch is that someone will do the GWR version soon and it will keep climbing in the polls anyway, but there are others that I know people would like such as the LNWR and the LNER Sentinel-Cammell steam railmotor.

And I forgot, interesting freight wagons - my preferences are MICA, BLOATER, tool vans, etc.

Another consideration might be 009, though I would let the Peco/Heljan L&B offerings play out before suggesting something in that space.

Do what the others aren't.

Hello Dave

As a member of The MREmag & RMweb Wishlist Poll Team, I sent you the full results of last April's Poll while you were at Dapol. If you didn't get them, or would like them again, please feel free to PM me. I can let you have them in various combinations (eg just Top 50 etc).

Brian Macdermott

Brian,

As much as I enjoy and am a big supporter of the poll (and hopefully you know I am) there is one particular and well understood area* where given the specificity in the poll it will be difficult to obtain consensus, and that is with industrial steam** locomotives.

I remain convinced that there is a market for well-executed small industrial steam locomotives that are accurate and run well and can command premium prices (compared to the mass-produced existing models) where enough people will be prepared to overlook the 'that never ran on that siding' rulebook to make a model, (though not necessarily any model) viable.

* there may well be others

** and even the other kinds

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2

I'll resist the urge to list loads of desirable but commercially unlikely items on my wishlist and instead suggest the 1960's Freightliner flats (FGA/FFA) as something that could have legs.  Not a lot of structure to get right, you could probably sell containerless flats as a rake of two outers and one inner car, with additional inners available for those who want to run the original style 5 car sets.  Ask Charlie and Arran nicely to tool up some 1960's style containers to fit onto them (saves a bit of tooling money unless you prefer to have the sales for yourself...) and produced in a range of colours to cover their long lifespan, although most ended up various shades of rusty crud, and I think you could have a steady, reasonable seller.

If on the other hand you do have an attack of the red mists and recieved wisdom not withstanding regarding AC traction, I wouldn't say no to a Class 310...

• RMweb Premium

In terms of what I would be likely to invest in and enjoy on my 00 layouts as opposed to pure wishing:-

S15

U Mogul

Class 09 shunter (green / stripes preferred)

Class 12 shunter (green / stripes preferred)

Bulleid coaching stock in correct shade of green

BR Mk1 ditto (thought on balance of probability Bachmann might get that right third time lucky ;) )

Class 120 DMU 3-car set (both green SYP and blue SYP preferred)

Class 123 DMU 4-car set (original green livery preferred)

And ..... class 116/7/8 3-car sets in green, blue and b/g .... PLEASE 

Just a personal wishlist.... some may agree and some may not. But Dave gave us the opportunity to tell him about our wishlists (so please I don't need anyone saying this doesn't sell well etc. etc.) The point of a wishlist is all explained in the word itself.

OO gauge

- Class 90
- Class 87
- Class 92
- 100T TDA tank (there are quite a few variants)
- Class 59
- Class 117

N gauge

- GWR King Class
- LMS Coronation Class
- BR Std 6 Clan Class
- Class 90
- Class 87
- Class 92
- 100T TDA tanker
- KFA Container
- Class 117
- 4wDM Sentinel

O gauge

- Class 56
- Class 67
- Class 66
- BR Std 7
- BR Std 6
- Class 121
- Class 122
- 4wDM Sentinel

I've thought of as many as I could Dave :P

Once again thanks for the chance. You have proved that your business is based on customer satisfaction as you communicate well.

Cheers!

• RMweb Gold

Another vote for FFA/FGA freightliner flats and Class 120 DMU in 4mm please Dave

Think of all the follow-on container sales....

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Canada here too.

I'm with the GNR crowd and agree with the sentiments above, especially something articulated maybe? I'd have also normally said a GN Atlantic, but maybe this might happen anyway.

Thanks for asking :)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Brian,

As much as I enjoy and am a big supporter of the poll (and hopefully you know I am) there is one particular and well understood area* where given the specificity in the poll it will be difficult to obtain consensus, and that is with industrial steam** locomotives.

* there may well be others

** and even the other kinds

Hello Oz (and Roy P earlier)

Dave's thread is not the place for me to answer The Wishlist Poll questions.

I have emailed Oz direct about industrial locos.

Brian Macdermott

Bearing in mind DJ are picking up the work on the 4mm scale  Kernow 02 0-4-4t, If such a thing could eventually happen, I'd like a couple in 7mm scale please...when yer ready...no rush etc....

Going in the opposite direction, an N gauge O2 would be very nice too.

I would like to see more departmental stock and on track plant, you know the the olive greenies, Engineers red,  yellow perils and Dutch beasites especially from the  70's/80's. I'd be happy if the things were dummies/unpowered as a lot of the time they are just siding fillers or diorama stars.

If you were looking to hire in talented sub contract designers, there's a couple of guys in the 3d printing thread are doing brilliant stuff.

All in 00:-

Wickham 2-car dmu (also later used as departmental, then preserved)

GER J15, N7, D16/3

M&GN 4-4-0

Stewart

Also in 00 perhaps I could add:

GER/LNER E4, J17 and one of the larger freight locos J19 or J20

and how about a Barclay 0-4-0DM Class 01?

Paul

• RMweb Gold

I am quite surprised by the diversity of some of the lists on here. Are they from collectors or do people have several layouts?

From a manufacturer's viewpoint, very difficult to get a correct statistical analysis from wishlists such as these. But quite a good PR exercise.

I would start (especially if I already had the right trade contacts) by asking retailers what has sold well over the past 5 years and then develop a planned range of items that complement them. Having done that I might put out the list to the public for them to prioritise (by way of a private poll rather than an open one which is easier to manipulate).

Randomly I was looking at an old edition of Hornby Magazine, I can't remember which one either 2009 or 2010, and almost all the top 10 were now available R-T-R. It may take a while but it does seem that the big four do pay a fair bit of attention to it. I will have to try and find it again.

Another vote for a decent LNER shunter of some description, other than the J94 you're already doing and the Y1, and some more DMU's. Updated 155/156 maybe?

I think it was 2011 or 2012 the Q6 topped it, hopefully we will see one in the near future. An A5 or A8 is one choice of tank locomotive I would like to see. The A5's I believe were quick well spread.

• Like 1