RMweb

864 members have voted

1. 1. Do you currently own a cutting machine?

• Yes
    • No, but I want to in the next 12 months
    • No, I have no plans to buy one
    • I'm undecided at the moment

Now I am more confused than ever (what's new :) ).

Do you mean it really should have been spelled "Guinnness" - like the drink?  I had assumed Gunness was a placename.

...R

Hi Robin, 

Sorry for the confusion, no they were the originals which were spelled wrong. The correct ones as you say read "Gunness" - see below.

Tartubplates_zps1da055ec.jpg

I had thought that I had brought everything up to date as to my Christmas progress but I had forgotten the NER Implement wagon until I spoke to Graham Beare this morning.

When I began to do more work on it I realised that I had stuck the wrong axlebox/spring castings on, in my haste I had taken those from the Lowmac kit not the IMP. Fortunately I had stuck them on with Rocket Gel Superglue and I managed to prise them of without causing any damage to either the wagon or the castings.

This is where it's got to so far.

IMG_2352_zpskncu3vfv.jpg
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

There are many wonderful examples of what people have created with their silhouette cutter.

However I wonder if it would be possible to split out into a separate Thread the posts that actually explain how to use the thing. With 68 pages it is a bit daunting for a newcomer (and I have read them all :) )

I know someone created a very helpful index but, even so IMHO, separation of the instructions from the projects would be a big help.

...R

• RMweb Premium

There are many wonderful examples of what people have created with their silhouette cutter.

However I wonder if it would be possible to split out into a separate Thread the posts that actually explain how to use the thing. With 68 pages it is a bit daunting for a newcomer (and I have read them all :) )

I know someone created a very helpful index but, even so IMHO, separation of the instructions from the projects would be a big help.

...R

The index is the 2nd post in this thread.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Robin

I think it would be almost impossible to separate things out without a great deal of work and editing as concepts are, and progress is intertwined through the different posts. Most of the information for beginners is at the beginning of the thread, which is when we were all beginners, so it's probably the most useful. I imagine that by the time you get a couple of dozen pages in you will have all of the information you need. The thread then settles down into more advanced stuff about 3rd party blades and scribing brass, etc, and inspirational photos from people showing what they've done.

It took me a couple of sessions to put together the index at the beginning by speed-reading, and even then I started to go do-lally, so I don't intend do to more. For shorter threads, have a look at some of Mike's detailed tutorial threads which are linked to at the beginning of here.

Cheers

Jason

Edited to say I just realised you have read the whole thing - maybe we should call that an initiation. ;-)

Edited by JCL
  • Like 1

Jason, I very much appreciate the effort you made to create the index.

Maybe what I have in mind could be realized by breaking this Thread in two at the point where the beginners' stuff ends. Not sure where that is but it may be 30 or 40 pages back. Then the first part of the Thread could be locked to prevent it becoming unwieldy.

Other readers may have a better idea.

...R

When creating my Inkscape threads I did consider creating two threads, one for the main topic, the second for people to comment and ask questions. If anything relevant was raised in the second topic then it could be answered or included in the main topic. That would keep the main topic readable and hopefully shorter. However I suspect the chance of people using the two topics correctly were pretty low.

Using my suggestion this topic would then have then been broken down into two with titles such as:

A Guide to Using The Silhouette Cameo Cutter

A Guide to Using The Silhouette Cameo Cutter: Comments, Questions, Feedback etc

Each topic would need instructions about posting at the beginning and possibly have the main topic restricted to posting by the main author only.

Practical (albeit too late for this topic)?

That would keep the main topic readable and hopefully shorter. However I suspect the chance of people using the two topics correctly were pretty low.

That's what I had in mind, and I agree with your assessment.

I recognize that trawling all 1600+ replies and extracting those relevant to a tutorial would be very time-consuming. But breaking the Thread into two parts at the point where most of the tutorial parts finish would not be difficult for the management.

...R

• RMweb Gold

I think for "tutorial threads" it would be great if the forum software was able to create threads that only the original author could update with new posts. That was it would keep them on track.

I think for "tutorial threads" it would be great if the forum software was able to create threads that only the original author could update with new posts. That was it would keep them on track.

I totally agree. But as the software doesn't (afaik) have you considered your own website, then provide links on here to it? If you don't have one there are a number free options around. Edited by Kiwi

• RMweb Gold

Hi there. I wouldn't for this thread, but maybe it's an idea for other stuff I'm working on. I'll dip out now if that's ok.

cheers

Jason

Hello All, 

What an amazing thread. After reading all 68 pages and picking my jaw up off the floor a number of times in sheer wonder at what you talented bunch have created I took advantage of the 15% code and took the plunge and ordered myself a portrait cutter. 

Now just waiting for it to arrive. While I wait I shall be going back through the first few pages of this thread to make the most of all the hints and tips you have all shared.

Hopefully I will be posting pictures of my creations on here soon.

Just off to order some plasticard and some limonene so I can make a flying start.

Thanks for such an inspiring thread and keep posting pictures of your wonderful models.

All the best

Jonathan

• Like 3

Hello All, 

What an amazing thread. After reading all 68 pages and picking my jaw up off the floor a number of times in sheer wonder at what you talented bunch have created I took advantage of the 15% code and took the plunge and ordered myself a portrait cutter. 

Welcome to the club. Yolo are usually very good with delivery so you should not have to wait long. For my sins I also used the offer to order some more premium blades.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rich

The only difference between the two is the length of the machine and the size of the material it can touch. The mechanics, pressure exerted, etc, are the same, so should cut the same materials equally. I found with my Camio that I had to ratchet up the pressure to cut certain materials which others could cut with less pressure. I've not done proper tests, but I'm guessing that this might be caused by flex in the bar that the cutter head travels on.

If you don't need the larger cutting space, you might want to look at the Portrait. If I was to buy another, it's the one I'd get.

• RMweb Premium

I have found the cameo cuts well enough along the length, but lacks the depth of cut when cutting across the width of the bed, even cutting 10thou. It'not a huge problem as larger pieces can be broken out, but small bits need a bit of help from the scalpel.

• RMweb Gold

thanks for the confirmation,  I cant ever see a need (for me at least) to cut more than about the height of a coach side.  So I think the smaller bed should be fine.  I think I have read correctly that both can handle the same length of around 300mm?  thats the wife's birthday present sorted then.  and once she's bored of it I can move it to the workshop!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

thanks for the confirmation,  I cant ever see a need (for me at least) to cut more than about the height of a coach side.  So I think the smaller bed should be fine.  I think I have read correctly that both can handle the same length of around 300mm?  thats the wife's birthday present sorted then.  and once she's bored of it I can move it to the workshop!

The Cameo can cut up to 2 foot (608mm) long