SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

I have just had a quick squint at an old Dormon Long catalogue and the closet to Spams guestimate is 4 1/2 x 10 inches.

A lot of the old manufacturers had their own ranges of sections. Different ones did different sizes. Other catalogues would have had something similar to 10"x6". The range of sections spears to have been rationalised once the British standards and structural design codes came in. I suspect nationalisation of the steel industry also played a part in this.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks chaps. I was think about 10" X 4" ish for the columns so that's about right ABW. There should be some Evergreen profile close to that for 4mm.

P

I'm thinking 8x4 for the horizontals and 10x6 for the verticals. Looking at the plates at the joints the verticals are definitely wider than the horizontals by about 2".

• RMweb Premium

I'm thinking 8x4 for the horizontals and 10x6 for the verticals. Looking at the plates at the joints the verticals are definitely wider than the horizontals by about 2".

Evergreen 284 for the verticals and 273 for the horizontals are probably about the closest to those (usual disclaimer).

Thanks chaps. I was think about 10" X 4" ish for the columns so that's about right ABW. There should be some Evergreen profile close to that for 4mm.

Absolutely no promises at all, but leave it with me for a couple of days and I'll see if I can get you any definite sizes.

• RMweb Premium

Absolutely no promises at all, but leave it with me for a couple of days and I'll see if I can get you any definite sizes.

Can I be an arse and ask that if thee do manage to get on there could you measure the width of the steps on the footybridge please. The steps look wider than the actual bridge walkway. Absolutely not essential but I'll be needing to adjust my Ratio Kits/Scratchbuilds.

You could be an absolute star dear boy.

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that, Your Duckship. Unfortunately Mountain Ash (TVR) must be one of the least photographed stations in the country!

Regards, Tim T

Fewer photos of Notty Ash on the KDR*.

* Ken Dodd Rly

• RMweb Premium

Will be interesting to see how close our estimates are!

Like so many things Spammers, if it looks right then.........

In the case of this particular piece of the layout one would need a selfie stick etc, or a mirror arrangement of some sort, or a weird and bendy neck to be able to see any of these pieces once they are in place. This is because they will be under the Platform 1 Canopy that sits in front of the main Up Platform Buildings and that is not really in sight, whereas the Down Platform Building and Roof/Canopy arrangement, of which I have very little clear views to aid construction, is in almost full view.

Well, having got over excited and then terribly confused today whilst trying to see and then identify the Monty Zoomers on the ECML, I am too knackered to post some pics of an exciting development up The Junction. I shall do that tomorrow.

I wish you all good night.

Phil 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Like so many things Spammers, if it looks right then.........

In the case of this particular piece of the layout one would need a selfie stick etc, or a mirror arrangement of some sort, or a weird and bendy neck to be able to see any of these pieces once they are in place. This is because they will be under the Platform 1 Canopy that sits in front of the main Up Platform Buildings and that is not really in sight, whereas the Down Platform Building and Roof/Canopy arrangement, of which I have very little clear views to aid construction, is in almost full view.

Well, having got over excited and then terribly confused today whilst trying to see and then identify the Monty Zoomers on the ECML, I am too knackered to post some pics of an exciting development up The Junction. I shall do that tomorrow.

I wish you all good night.

Phil

After building the canopy I think you should view it by laying on the track.

• RMweb Premium

I used to occasionally frequent Church Stretton, at the foot of the Long Mynd. And there were three other hills worthy of the name nearby - Caradoc, The Lawley, and one other I've forgotten. Shropshire is a county no-one knows, because it is simply on the way to other places - yet so close to the West Midlands, with plenty to offer. Cross the Mynd, and then you are off into the Marches - the Stiperstones, Snailbeach, Bishops Castle etc. Lovely country. 

Accucraft live steam locos.....Edrig, Caradoc, Lawley.....oh yeah, Ian Pearse lives in Church Stretton!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

After building the canopy I think you should view it by laying on the track.

Now Chris

Don't be daft, because he will do as you suggest. We would then have to arrange a recuse party to go Up the Junction to help get the blighter upright as he won't be able to do so on his own.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Now Chris

Don't be daft, because he will do as you suggest. We would then have to arrange a recuse party to go Up the Junction to help get the blighter upright as he won't be able to do so on his own.

We'd have to send in JA in her nurses uniform...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Accucraft live steam locos.....Edrig, Caradoc, Lawley.....oh yeah, Ian Pearse lives in Church Stretton!

Spot on, Neil. I think Deb and I were guests at their Silver Wedding years ago. We used to stay at Ian's parents' place at the bottom of the Mynd. Deb was a regular rider with his mother Pat's weekend groups, across the Mynd to a pub - there were several options - tie up the dobbins, drink and eat, and back again. One of Deb's great regrets about her disabling accident in 2008 was that when Ian's father Donald died in 2009 she was still stuck in hospital, unable to attend the funeral.

• RMweb Gold

Ah, Church Stretton  - a location for some very interesting signals (if you're into signals) although they've no doubt vanished by now.  Also probably the last surviving example of (the main part of) a GWR water column on BR territory - still there in 1992 although very derelict.

And they do have some odd things in Sheffield - like pink trams with peculiar names

post-6859-0-45142200-1526124366_thumb.jpg

but no ducks were sighted.

Very interesting visit to the event in Chesterfield Road where a certain retailer was opening a new showroom adjunct to their shop - very pretty and complete with. couple of railway lines running round it at high level - no doubt some part of the BRM empire will be publishing the views and video which was taken by Mr York.  Latest pre-production version of the NRM Stirling Single was on display and later running - exceedingly pretty to behold and ran quite well with a reasonable trailing load.  Various representatives of all the manufacturers except one were present but lips were of course tightly sealed although I did talk to (redacted) about (redacted) for the future which might be interesting to those who like that sort of thing while there are rumours that (redacted) will be producing a (redacted) while there is also a rumour that someone (best guess redacted) is getting on with a project to produce a (redacted).  I didn't get to talk to the folk from Peco so no need to redact anything there but I had a nice chat with the smashing fellahs from Accurascale along with a close look at the superb HUOs (alas no good for my area/period of interest) - they are going great guns and their latest Irish outline wagon even has prototypical axleboxes which revolve on the axle end - they too were tight lipped about future intentions but there is definitely more British outline stuff to come. 

Various bits of gossip but the encouraging thing was a firm investing in a bricks & mortar retail premises which they were justly proud to show off.  I travelled home part way with (redacted) who works for (redacted) but we did not speak about any of their future model proposals or intentions so no need to redact anything more.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I like the word Mynd. A long Mynd sounds relaxing.

Today I have discovered that the poster on the left side of the Branch Platform Building (discussion some pages ago) is for Lincoln. Why you may ask? Well, the Cleethorpes jobby called at Lincoln so there's enough of an excuse. Other than that I have been designing the Branch Platform Building; I'm making most of that up apart from the Branch elevation and the west end elevation.

So I may well go and take the pic of an exciting thing up The Junction; depends on the weather.

P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 2

Indeed.

As recommended by the British Association of Mynds.

Are they related to the Mynds of Seegoon ?

Gryptpype Thynne

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Here is the 'exciting thing'. It is a LCut Engine Shed, nicely built some time back by BGMan and then placed in the loft. As he has gone to the very dark side he kindly donated it to The Junction as a plaything that could become the 'Old Shed' Dairy Building. Thank you G, such a really generous thging to do.

He will notice things that have changed since it arrived; you won't unless you are as clever as CK.

What will be the 'east' end that will not be seen once other buildings are in position.

post-2326-0-86821800-1526136334_thumb.jpg

The west (yard) end; the left doorway will be closed off and a lean-to goes there. The face might also get a layer of random stone; can IBA?. The right hand portal will have doors fixed in the open position as per the picture posted some pages ago.

post-2326-0-01635800-1526136491_thumb.jpg

The north (road facing ) side that will also disappear almost totally once the other buildings are in place. This will be adapted a little despite being very difficult to see as it actually joined into the adjacent newer, prefabricated building that was the loading dock for incomong milk churns at one time. I'm probably going to put a dock on the inside of this wall.

post-2326-0-48460800-1526136645_thumb.jpg

The Platform 1 (Up) facing side that will be partly obscured by another prefab construction at Platform level at the right side as you look at it.

post-2326-0-77260100-1526136679_thumb.jpg

The original roof (blurred grey thing next to the glue bottle in the background in photo 3), may be adapted or just left off and stored once I've got a better idea of what the real roof looked like. That means I shall have to construct it..........yea!

Here is a pic of the Platform 3 (Branch) side of the Platform Building that I was looking at to do the planning drawings this morning. I'm going to try to adapt the design using LCut Station parts. That could be fun. It could look 'similar'; who knows?

post-2326-0-27591200-1526136986_thumb.jpg

No idea who this geezer is having a kip in the garden due to excessive cider (yes cider in a coffee mug so as the neigbours would not be offended). Naughty SWMBO.

post-2326-0-99041800-1526137808_thumb.jpg

That's enough nonsense for now and I am going to pray for Punky Boy who is working at the Derby Show where he just loves 3 Links.

Ar$£

• Like 10

Thank you for that Phil, I prefer to see it being used rather than sitting on a shelf doing nowt in its unfinished state !

FWIW I think you would be better to make a new roof as a whole piece which would sort out those joining strips, much like the unfinished shed. With a little bit of time and effort I reckon you could make it look the part and possibly the brick returns where they join too, and try to be rid of the zipper effect.

G

• Like 3