SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

I went to Newcastle about ten years back now. It was to investigate the 'remains' of the old Quayside Branch from Trafalgar Yard. I could not believe the changes along the Quayside. Now and then photo's show how things have progressed in 50 years. There is almost zero sign of any railway along the Quay.

Newcastle is one of my favourite places to visit but not on a Saturday footy derby day or a Saturday night. However the 'refurbished' Station bar on the down side is amazing.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

I went to Newcastle about ten years back now. It was to investigate the 'remains' of the old Quayside Branch from Trafalgar Yard. I could not believe the changes along the Quayside. Now and then photo's show how things have progressed in 50 years. There is almost zero sign of any railway along the Quay.

Newcastle is one of my favourite places to visit but not on a Saturday footy derby day or a Saturday night. However the 'refurbished' Station bar on the down side is amazing.

Phil

Yes, very different I noted when we were there briefly a few weeks back, and as for where I long ago saw 26501 at work - different world (as is the centre of Newcastle in many respects.

Today I shall only be going a bit short I think of half way to Tyneside as I'm off to shiny (?) Sheffield in order to be in time for an (invitation only) event taking place tomorrow at an establishment in Chesterfiled Road in that city.  I'll be surprised if any small scale hints of the works of Mr Maunsell  Mr Bulleid happen to be present but an 'interesting day' is promised and if a sample of a certain restaurant car happens to be there I'll try to get some phots for his duckship.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Yes, very different I noted when we were there briefly a few weeks back, and as for where I long ago saw 26501 at work - different world (as is the centre of Newcastle in many respects.

Today I shall only be going a bit short I think of half way to Tyneside as I'm off to shiny (?) Sheffield in order to be in time for an (invitation only) event taking place tomorrow at an establishment in Chesterfiled Road in that city.  I'll be surprised if any small scale hints of the works of Mr Maunsell  Mr Bulleid happen to be present but an 'interesting day' is promised and if a sample of a certain restaurant car happens to be there I'll try to get some phots for his duckship.

I last saw 26501 at work in 1962..................................arggghhhhhh.

P

• RMweb Premium

A few more pics arrived this morning from the very useful Old Station Photo's supplier I have mentioned before. Lovely quality, sharp and detailed items. Several very helpful detail views that make them worth every penny and that is, not many pennies per pic either.

It is only in the last day that I have confirmed that the Up Platform Canopy was in two parts longditudinally, angled downwards and in from front and back to a drainage channel central along the formation. It is realy obvious in these latest pics but not in those ain all my books. It would also be very obvious on the layout too as it is right 'up front' operationally.

Phil  

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Caravan?

B.Butlin

No Ducky the size of him it was probably a birthing shed he's built like an Ox. :mosking:

My Train Wallahs to be have turned up in the post I should have some fun converting them :butcher: . But But Ding Ding.

• RMweb Gold

No Ducky the size of him it was probably a birthing shed he's built like an Ox. :mosking:

My Train Wallahs to be have turned up in the post I should have some fun converting them :butcher: . But But Ding Ding.

Excuse me?  Built like an ox?  You've been seriously misled there.  I am as svelte as the proverbial Terry Wogan Racing snake.

Ish.

A few more pics arrived this morning from the very useful Old Station Photo's supplier I have mentioned before. Lovely quality, sharp and detailed items. Several very helpful detail views that make them worth every penny and that is, not many pennies per pic either.

It is only in the last day that I have confirmed that the Up Platform Canopy was in two parts longditudinally, angled downwards and in from front and back to a drainage channel central along the formation. It is realy obvious in these latest pics but not in those ain all my books. It would also be very obvious on the layout too as it is right 'up front' operationally.

Phil

Your Duckship, if I may crave a boon? A search of this thread has failed to turn up a reference to the “Old Station Photo’s supplier” you mention. Could you post a link or contact details please?

Ta, Tim T

• RMweb Gold

I don't think he wants a suspension bridge. :dontknow:

I used to, back around the same time as you used to, old bean, but I didn't even dare ask my dad for one (I was too busy asking him to buy me the tender for the B12 loco that he'd bought me for my previous birthday - can you believe that Triang used to sell locos and tenders separately?).

Anyway, I did have a bit of a soak in the bath, we were on holiday in Shropshire at the time, and I decided that I really didn't need any more pretty little Pecketts, unless perhaps one in a particularly fetching shade of yellow ochre was to be introduced, perhaps.

Got back this afternoon and found my replacement Hattons blue 'Fina' Andrew Barclay waiting for me (the original one ran with a pronounced hesitation and a limp). The new one will probably run well enough once it's had a bit of running in, and the back cab sheet bend doesn't seem so pronounced, but the new one's got a wobbly buffer, so that will presumably have to be removed and re-glued back in place, I can't keep sending locos back to Widnes for minor faults that I should be capable of fixing.

It's a minor annoyance, though.

Hopefully it's nameplates from Narrow Planet will turn up soon - 'Llanddewi No.1' of the Vale of Radnor Light Railway.

Oh, and I drove around bits of hilly Shropshire and Mid-Wales yesterday and got a number of panoramic vistas 'in the bag', so to speak. I haven't checked any of them on the computer screen yet, but I'm hoping that one of them might be OK for Bethesda Sidings.

If anyone else is interested, send me a PM.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Your Duckship, if I may crave a boon? A search of this thread has failed to turn up a reference to the “Old Station Photo’s supplier” you mention. Could you post a link or contact details please?

Ta, Tim T

That's because my description was carp...sorry;

ttps://www.railwaystationphotographs.co.uk/

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

Oh, and I drove around bits of hilly Shropshire and Mid-Wales yesterday and got a number of panoramic vistas 

I used to occasionally frequent Church Stretton, at the foot of the Long Mynd. And there were three other hills worthy of the name nearby - Caradoc, The Lawley, and one other I've forgotten. Shropshire is a county no-one knows, because it is simply on the way to other places - yet so close to the West Midlands, with plenty to offer. Cross the Mynd, and then you are off into the Marches - the Stiperstones, Snailbeach, Bishops Castle etc. Lovely country. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

These might be helpful if anyone could estimate; I think I have the size but would appreciate thoughts.

Thanks 

attachment=1003986:efff685012ec8f0505e2d1be27dd1845.jpg]

post-2326-0-20040400-1525979499.jpg

My plan is to use Evergreen parts for the Canopy supporting structure.

post-2326-0-58161200-1525979181.jpg

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

I used to occasionally frequent Church Stretton, at the foot of the Long Mynd. And there were three other hills worthy of the name nearby - Caradoc, The Lawley, and one other I've forgotten. Shropshire is a county no-one knows, because it is simply on the way to other places - yet so close to the West Midlands, with plenty to offer. Cross the Mynd, and then you are off into the Marches - the Stiperstones, Snailbeach, Bishops Castle etc. Lovely country. 

Many years ago I helped bring a narrow boat from near Crewe to Weedon in Northants. I think it took 3 or 4 days. The whole trip was brilliant but the Shropshire part was lovely.

Phil 

• Like 5

I used to, back around the same time as you used to, old bean

Oi !!  -  just watch it, sunshine.  I've told you about this before.

I am a nice person - yes, really - but there's a limit even to my tolerance.

Don't push it or I'll have to send Mrs DS round to sort you out  .  .  .  .