SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

Phil,

I would suggest first looking on the 'net at prototype pics which will hopefully help to show what goes where on the real ones (but beware of those with air brakes) as the layout of the various bits & pieces at the ends is quite complex - but you do need pictures of both ends as dim memories of being up close with these things rather a long time ago suggests they were different.

• RMweb Gold

Such slow progress due to several factors, including trying to avoid the fiddle of the damn ends!  I just have not been able to get some bits at the ends to sit correctly.

However attachicon.gifImg_0214.jpg

It is just sitting on the bogies (not fitted to the underframe). There is lead  strip for 'weight' in the lower hopper area under the frame.

There are no control wheels and shafts fitted yet as I am getting some sets of bogie/control wheel etches from jonhall. I shall use the c. wheels and see if the bogie etches are OK for this Walrus as they are designed for a Salmon I believe. The plastic bogies seem OK but the fitting method is weird!

I suppose that the others I have will be a bit easier now I've battled through this one?

Pah.

Coming along nicely Phil - might it help in the 'fiddly area' in future if you leave the end handrails until a later stage or are they moulded with some other part you can't leave out?

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Bu**er all happening in the loft and I'm bored with the so**ing tennis and Le Tour and so I do some minutes of modelling!

I've purchased some nice etches for Bogies and handwheels and will be using these on my other Walruses.

Today I tried out the bogies. Almost dead right (they are not actually designed to go with these Cambrian Bogies but they are good).

Here's a few pics to show the bogies, a bit of the etch and how one can use brass pins for the handwheels.

post-2326-0-04311600-1436625510_thumb.jpg

post-2326-0-41102300-1436625514_thumb.jpg

The info about the etches is in           https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php%3F/topic/88705-seacow-rescue-cambrian-kit-that-is/&sa=U&ei=qCqhVaybO4n9UqzHgagH&ved=0CAoQFjAD&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNGcE4n7lBqHOWT5JYdxydR65IomKA

I think they are excellent, however I am not fitting them out in exactly the same way and I have yet to work out how they are going to be attached to the wagon body/floor. The priginal posting shows a lot of pics on how to fabricate the parts the correct way!

Quackers.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

.....and here it is with ballast load (initial paint job on resin casting, but not modified to represent the Meldon 'humps' load!)

ballast colour thoughts ?

post-2326-0-43063000-1437055220_thumb.jpg

Here is the 'real thing' (not early 60s of course)

post-2326-0-75424700-1437055568.jpg 

Thanks.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

Hi Phil

That looks pretty good to me - I am always amused by people who spend forever and a week trying to get every single nuance of grime just right - at the end of the day we view them from a scale quarter of a mile away or more at which distance it's all a bit of a blur!

From a hot and sticky Waverley Shed, somewhere in the heart of the Sussex Weald....

ATB

Peter

• RMweb Premium

Quackers, you were asking about the colour of Meldon ballast.

Drop Old Gringo a PM - he mixed ours on TG after extensive research into the subject.

Alternatively I can help you be showing you this sample...

post-6675-0-67712000-1437060380.jpg

It's the sand I'm laying next to ;-p

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Drop Old Gringo a PM - he mixed ours on TG after extensive research into the subject.

attachicon.gifrps20150716_162039.jpg

You're not in Teignmouth then Chris.

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifrps20150716_162039.jpg

Nah, that's Pluto, that is.

• Informative/Useful 1

No Sorry Phil - it looks OK, but TBH no-one would ever believe those two liveries together on a real train.

Sorry?

It is a real train?

Damn! I need to lie down, what with PN and now you doing it - Next thing you'll be telling me someone really has run a pair of Deltics on the Bluebell

Oh Phil, you're tempting me now. Hopefully the said 33's are in modern livery or I'd be tempted to bid you on them.

I know they never actually made it to Waverley, but I used to go to work behind them on the old East Grinstead- LBR service before thy got round to sticking a third rail on the side of the track. While others  in the region endured the cramped conditions of 4-VEPs and CEPS, we had several full sets of TSOs, BSKs and CKs with 2x2 seating  and even some proper tables.

We also didn't have lots of problems with folks having to stand. However when they introduced the sparkers they seemed to think they could replace 8-coach rakes with 4 coach EMUs as the daytime services.

No wonder many of us used to jump into first whenever we got the chance!

So, on the basis of a prototype for everything, what's to say the shed master at Citadel didn't decide to see if type 3 power would handle the Waverley route better than type 2 when one accidentally made its way north on a freight, as indeed did happen on odd occasions, and the few photographers who ever bothered to visit the route just weren't there at the time?

No. NO get behind me temptation. I've only got upwards of 70 locos already!

Now that's interesting - I typed B**gger - only spelt properly and the site auto-censored me. 

Hmm do you think Big Andy's watching our every post.....

• RMweb Premium

Well my two new pets, the Walrus and the Carpenter Doggy were getting restless and so this p.m. (no TDF) I dug out the CCT Transfer sheets and lo, I had Walrus and Doggy sets, both for Meldon,  that I had forgotten about. 

Having weathered the little and not so little dears I had to provide a small patch of gloss surface on which to sit the decals. First time I've used these and I used Humbrol Decalfix to soak the card. Very good decals they are as well and the fix works well IMO.

I don't care if the identification is in the wrong position for 1959/1963 as I think they look OK. :dontknow:  :blind:

post-2326-0-09745500-1437489877_thumb.jpg

I'll give the sets a coat of varnish tomorrow and then weather over to blend them in a bit later.

Next builds I shall probably not weather until I've done the IDs. As they are Cambrians don't hold yer breath for me to be doing them....... sorry.

Now I have to decide what couplings to use, but that isn't urgent. 

My batch of nine Grampus and one Lamprey + Shark GV will have to wait until I have the Modelmaster decals for the Grampi and Shark. Specific sheets for the unfitted Grampi and Shark, not sure about the Lamprey; I think I'll haver to fudge that one out of bits! :rtfm:

Quackers.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Better get building a bridge to put this on........................................

attachicon.gifImg_0363.jpg

attachicon.gifImg_0364.jpg

OK so, as far as I/we can ascertain, it didn't go past Seaton Junction (ish) in reality, but.......................................................

P

Isn't that a rather modern livery? Looks like an NBC logo on the side. Your era, bridge or not?