SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

At the moment an inadequate, small electric bathroom extractor and flexi plastic vent tube. This is not powerful or does not have a large enough diameter 'hole', but the tube is OK. A very, very small amount of paint residue gets caught in the tube. Never had any particles get out of the tube, but I don't do a lot of spraying at the moment and (as mentioned) the 'suck' is inadequate! hope this helps? I would deffo get a better extractor. A pre used one from some sort of workshop or light industrial place would be better.

p

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Here is the Lamprey I was on about a couple of weeks back.

post-2326-0-48651400-1432993078_thumb.jpg

Neat little wagon as I said. I only need one but might just get a few more for fun.

I'm going to enjoy giving this a good bashing about and covering it in muck :scratchhead:

Quackers.

Edit: 

P.S. I don't care if something is wrong and the right end banger is a bit bent.........................FGS, it's a ballast wagon and will be:

black/dusty/completely knackered/only seen once for about ten seconds every third month during operations/ready to use in 2017.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Saw this and thought of you Quackers:

attachicon.gifrps20150530_144730.jpg

My sister-in-law lives just outside Nottingham and, says she does not speak with a Nottingham accent. She pretends very hard to talk with a "posh" Essex accent. One day while our sons were still young she was caught out when we overheard her say to one of them "Ay-up-m Duck" like a native.

• RMweb Premium

Here is the Lamprey I was on about a couple of weeks back.

attachicon.gifImg_0167.jpg

Neat little wagon as I said. I only need one but might just get a few more for fun.

I'm going to enjoy giving this a good bashing about and covering it in muck :scratchhead:

Quackers.

Edit: 

P.S. I don't care if something is wrong and the right end banger is a bit bent.........................FGS, it's a ballast wagon and will be:

black/dusty/completely knackered/only seen once for about ten seconds every third month during operations/ready to use in 2017.

Oh no Phil, you don't want a surfeit of lampreys -  that can be very dangerous.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh no Phil, you don't want a surfeit of lampreys -  that can be very dangerous.

Apropos of which the latest in 'car park searches' has now commenced in Reading where they are looking around various parts of the site of Reading Abbey for the burial site of King Henry I.

• Funny 1

Gilbert -on another note. I've not taken any pics yet, but spent a very interesting weekend at Waverley East building a slide out section using kitchen drawer runners to carry the main lines across the doorway to the loo, thus avoiding a duck under. It's about 1m x 650 and is both looking good so far and offering a high degree of location accuracy when pulled in/out - shall I document later this week and put up some pics over on Waverley East, or is that just too much detail?

Apropos of which the latest in 'car park searches' has now commenced in Reading where they are looking around various parts of the site of Reading Abbey for the burial site of King Henry I.

Perhaps they should be looking in Woodhams Yard ...

Chris

• Funny 1

Now then Mike, I'm obviously a bit lacking in knowledge as I can't quite get the link between a surfeit of Lampreys and digging up car parks in Reading.

Is it something to do with shovels?

Richard Rex.

Henry I.

• RMweb Premium

Now then Mike, I'm obviously a bit lacking in knowledge as I can't quite get the link between a surfeit of Lampreys and digging up car parks in Reading.

Is it something to do with shovels?

Richard Rex.

Its to do with Henry being a bit too partial to them Phil. No doubt the archaeologists  are going to count the remains( of the lampreys that is) and government guidelines will then be issued as to the number we can safely eat at one go.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

No doubt the archaeologists  are going to count the remains( of the lampreys that is)

I don't think they'll find many as his heart and entrails (which presumably contained the digested lampreys) were removed and buried at a priory near Rouen. Ahh... I wonder if someone misread Rouen as Reading and is digging in the wrong car park ;)

Edited by Anotheran
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I don't think they'll find many as his heart and entrails (which presumably contained the digested lampreys) were removed and buried at a priory near Rouen. Ahh... I wonder if someone misread Rouen as Reading and is digging in the wrong car park ;)

He was buried at Reading Abbey (presumably the spare bits were sent to France?) and a survey has just been started to see if his burial place can be located although not much of the abbey site is readily accessible for such surveys .  It might help if several buildings in the vicinity were demolished ;)

• RMweb Gold

He was buried at Reading Abbey (presumably the spare bits were sent to France?)

It was more the other way around. He died at the castle of Lyons-la-Forêt in Normandy, which I believe he built (or rather got his lads to build for him) and his body was taken to Rouen for embalming. His entrails were then buried locally and the rest was sent back to England and interred at Reading Abbey. My comment about misreading Rouen for Reading was very firmly tongue in cheek :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

OK you lot, History Quiz time.

Which King (not a locomotive) had an unfortunate incident involving a Walrus?

Which Queen had an even more unfortunate incident with a Shark?

Which member of Parliament was nicknamed Bloater?

Is there really a beer called Ballast? 

Correct answers before 18.00 win prizes.

C. Tarrant.

Lear

The ship, Marine Sulphur Queen off Florida in 1963

John Bolton (although I desperately wish it was Pickles)

No, although there is a Brewery in the USA called Ballast Point

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

OK you lot, History Quiz time.

Which King (not a locomotive) had an unfortunate incident involving a Walrus?

Which Queen had an even more unfortunate incident with a Shark?

Which member of Parliament was nicknamed Bloater?

Is there really a beer called Ballast? 

Correct answers before 18.00 win prizes.

C. Tarrant.

Elvis.

John Inman.

Ken Livingston.

Yes.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Oy Tarrant, there's people here waiting for their prizes! Stop with the dramatic pauses, it's cruel to the contestants you sadist!

All will be revealed after the break !

• RMweb Premium

Next off the table is this (again) very neat Slimrails (ex Chivers) 4mm Tunny D1771 (SR). Took me about an hour. Lovely kit. Don't knowingly need a Tunny but I liked the name and needed something to lurk in the SJish Down Sidings.

post-2326-0-18912200-1433347012_thumb.jpg

I've said it before but I'll say again how superb these little wagons are and how easy to put together, even for  a tatty old Duck.

Also, the Plumber has accomplished lift off with the new boiler. The old boiler was out at the allotment this afternoon so there was no trouble.

Haven't dared venture into the loft yet where carnage must have been occuring.

Been in 36E for near on 13 years and this Plumber is the first one who's work and attitude I have the utmost faith in. He is brilliant. Would recommend to anyone wanting larger plumbing jobs (boilers, bathrooms etc) done within 50miles/ hours travel of 36E.

Ducky.

Edit: Plumber discovered the CH pipe system version of almost totally blocked arteries; the old Immersion Tank was about to have a serious 'cardiac arrest'. If he hadn't been so thorough it would have remained unnoticed and the CH would have been as feeble as it seems to have been for years. No, not a ploy for extra payment, just part of the job.

Quackers.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

That Tunny is a beautiful kit by the looks Mr Duck, I've been looking at some of the Chivers offerings that pop up on Ebay from time to time and wondering how they'd be and going from your pic, they look superb.

Cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Tony, but it looks good because of the kit, not my sticking it together. The mouldings are so crisp. The only little 'difficulty' I found with this and the Lamprey was the fitting of the brake levers.They need a bit of fettling. My problem is knowing very little about wagons and so I rely on the instructions and Paul Bartlett's great photo's. This can lead to me making 'detail' mistakes on occasion.

If you order the kits from Slimrails and request a good quality pair of axles/wheels then you will be paying a lot less than many similar RTR products, even when adding postage!

Phil

Phil - I've never heard of slim rails - will check them ou

Re the brass kit bashing - I read Tony's article in BRM about brass and got the impresison the whole soldering thing can be a bit hard work, especially around door handles, grab handles, hinges and so on and getting them dead straight

How do you deal with it?

On the plumbing side has your plumber suggested a power flush? We had that done last year as part of our remodelling and it near doubled the efficiency of many of the rads. Some were so silted up they had to go, but it probably saved us 50% of the cost of replacing them.

Peter

• Like 1