RMweb

SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

As long as it's not by train, on a Wednesday.

You mean Camborne .... Train don't stop there Wednesday's ( according to the Jethro ) :)

Announcement....the tradesman has left the building. However he has left me with his electric level gismo thingy so that I can mark up the various things that need marking up and the boards should not create Honiton Incline without me meaning them to do that! He also fitted the main timbers, left me a nice planed piece of 3X1 and also left me some interesting adhesive; Ever Build 30 minute Lumberjack Wood Adhesive. He says it is great for use on baseboard joints (no good on MDF, however I never use that). We shall see how it goes with ply and pine.

Photos please! it's not that we don't believe you, but ...

Mr. Duck - for the cost of one set of 4x2 foot remade baseboards you can buy the raw material to do many times that area - I've found that 9mm ply on 2x1, sorry 38x19 in modern language works well. I used to cross cut the joints but found that by using professional quality screws from my local Travis Perkins, I can just cut to length and screw through into the end grain - a pilot hoe with a 2mm drill into the receiving end helps avoid splits, and a 5-6mm hole in the bit being screwed through works well.

RIgidity is good with this arrangement, but where I want very strong boards, I up the ply to 12mm

Doing it this way meant I could afford the proper drill - deWalt in my case, as well as some nice new toys courtesy of my local Screwfix

Good luck

Peter

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Phil, are you building a layout ?

:D

Oh yes he is, I can assure you. Most, if not all of the things that needed to be done to make a viable space have been done, so excuses are in short supply. What's more he will be nagged unmercifully if he doesn't get on with it now, and he has the added threat of me offering to "help". Both should be avoided at all costs, so I predict that things will progress.

• Like 2

Mallard on the LSWR ? As if!

Really?

24th February 1963 The Locomotive Club of Great Britain "The West Countryman Limited" Rail Tour...

http://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/60s/630324lc.html

Scroll down page for some pictures http://www.davidheyscollection.com/page36.htm

... and the "moneyshot" here... http://railphotoprints.zenfolio.com/p65042181/h3D9B4ABB#h3d9b4abb

Edited by cromptonnut
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Gilbert don't underestimate the value of your assistance - someone needs to keep his 'prototype for everything' approach in check - Mallard on the LSWR ? As if!

An A4 made it to Weymouth back in the 60s.

Edit: Just beaten to it by Crompton. And he has an even better answer.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Peter. There we go then, one bit of advice says save yersself some effort and then another says DIY. I have done and planned to do my own boards so I'll just wait and see how I feel. I'll be making a lot of my own anyway as they need to be odd shapes and fit the exact space as many of us have done in the past. I've seen enough on here to be inspired as to ideas for that (some open frame schemes and things like that).

I've been doing sandwich frames on my main scenic sections for weight reasons and that it will be like exhibition boards (removeable) but I really only need 3/4 of those and I have the timber already. 

P

Are you planning for this layout to ever come out of the loft (exhibitions/house move)? If not, probably better and easier to go for L-girder.

But if you do need several 4' x 3' traditional boards, well worth building a jig to construct them on so that they are all identical.

• Like 1