SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Are you suggesting Phil would benefit from JA or the article on natural energy boosters, or both???????

Luxury Spa Breaks please. Blimey she don't half look tidy for someone almost my age.

Shhh! Do not tell everyone but I actually ascended into the manloft this morning. I'm having to prep for the possible visit of the CCE. I discovered I need to dropper wire about 5 metres of track and get a point sorted, as well as the piece of foam ballast for said point (spray it the same colour as the other ballast pieces; what paint did I us now?

It really is an untidy mess up there.........................but I have actually been up there. Hussar!

Philthy.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Was working in the garage until the temperature got too low, but TF now wired for power & point motors.

Scenics soon, so I've somewhere to put that building.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Was working in the garage until the temperature got too low, but TF now wired for power & point motors.

Your hut and the Hungry Caterpillar both need a proper 'home'. I need to get off my ar$# and do stuff. How do I tell my head that's what needs to happen?

Stuckinarut K. Nobhead

I use a portable space heater in our garage - works a treat and keeps the cars nice and warm.

Brian.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Your hut and the Hungry Caterpillar both need a proper 'home'. I need to get off my ar$# and do stuff. How do I tell my head that's what needs to happen?

Stuckinarut K. Nobhead

Phil, I think that now that you have actually been up there you have crossed that particular hurdle.

Step by step my friend.

• RMweb Premium

Well, today was bright, blue and brilliant. The CCE was resident for a time and lo there was trackwork laid. He has the photo's and promises to expose them later.

Somehow I stand around or faff like a big faffy thing, trying to find lost drill bits, pretending I understand what's happening, holding a spotlamp and still, track is laid to a superb standard.

Today's achievemnet from the CCE was the Down Main through the proposed station site. For those that know the 'real' Seaton Junction, this was a 80+ mph section of line, on centre through roads, with interesting curves to clear the footbridges' supports.  

I had prepared the necessary track and underlay, however I have to admit the paint job on the track was a bit iffy. Hey ho!

What happens next? I clear this area of all sorts of rubbish so as to assess the position of the two, critical points. The trailing one, on the down loop for the Branch and the trailing one on the up loop for the up yard/dairy sidings. I also prep the required track (and those points + underlay for all that) for the station loops; that includes some electrickery wire bits for the down loop point as I need that to be motorised as it will be used frequently. While I'm at it I will probably prep the yard points and Slips, (mainly just painting but with some trickery as the down yard is a 'reach' from the ops space and signals and buildings could be vulnerable.

In theory I now have up and down continuous runs/circuits. If I get a grip with power and some track twirking, I could test those circuits and trains could actually do laps so that I can see where 'adjustments' may need to be made (where stuff is falling off maybe?)

These could be exciting times and I am working hard to get my beak sorted so that activity continues.

With huge thanks to the CCE. All hail the little hammer and pin vice.

Ar$e

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 8

YEY ! Well done, it's good to see the progress now and I'm really pleased for "Our Ducks " that's all I'm going to say for now

Happy days !!!

Yours

A.Wellwisher

• RMweb Premium

Grant the Gangerman reporting in here, after a successful visit to SOSJ.

attachicon.gifWP_20170124_13_50_56_Pro.jpg

As reported, the down main through the station was duly laid and here is one of them Bully Beef thingies illustrating the new alignment. As SOSJ groupies will know, the running lines widen through the station to accommodate the supports for the footbridges - the footpath footbridge is indicated here by the piece of square batten that was lying around.

attachicon.gifWP_20170124_13_52_31_Pro.jpg

A little further on and the down main gradually returns to the 6 foot spacing once clear of the platforms

attachicon.gifWP_20170124_13_56_19_Pro.jpg

Coming the other way, a Mowgli approaches with a van train

attachicon.gifWP_20170124_13_57_48_Pro.jpg

This view shows how the tracks come back together again at t'other end of the station

Now this is all done, laying the respective platform roads should be a doddle, as it's all simple 6 foot spacing from the lines already laid.

A pleasure to enjoy Mr Duck's company once again - looking forward to the next visit in due course :locomotive:

Bl##dy marvellous. Andsome trains wot might even move with trickery in a couple of years. Thanks Graham.

I be lookin at the station loops your gangmanness and it would appear that the 6 foot looks more like 7/8 foot, but 'we' can have a look at that. It is certainly wider that the spacing on the Incline from those pics we woz peering at.

A cream bun to anyone that spys an 'unusual' item in the bagging area (i.e. in the vicinity of the FP bridge). Nope, not the specs and not the 'manly' mug either.

Now, I must get a grip with getting the correct number of the correct type of points and then the approprite ##### ballast bits for them. This must be the umteenth time I've had to consider more purchases......boo!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Folks, I am privileged to have a load of RMW friends that have helped in so many ways with this layout. Perhaps with actual hands on and tutoring, at a distance construction(s) and diagrams/plans, information, site visits in Typhoons (not the Aircraft), canvassing locals for info and keeping me sane (ish) with chat and hilarity. It is my hope that it should not be too long before I can do 'the credits'. 

Huge thanks all.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 2

One thing that intrigues me is why when converted to a normal engine shape, Bulleids are still referred to as spam cans.  Perhaps the streamlined version bore a quirky resemblance but certainly not the deshrouded variety.  We were more reverent and referred to them as West Countries or Merchant Navies, in fact I don't remember any nicknames and just used the Class names   As for the diesels, I haven't a clue what class is what especially with the early examples, probably due to not being around then.

Brian

• RMweb Premium

Dear Ducky,

With regard to your earlier query on one thread or another I am now ensconsed in the hotel reception, Sliema Malta, the only place with WiFi. Upon arrival at 2pm local it was a nice sunny day with the temprature a pleasant 15C.a big difference to the -1C at Gatport Airwick this morning.

S. Unny.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

One thing that intrigues me is why when converted to a normal engine shape, Bulleids are still referred to as spam cans.  Perhaps the streamlined version bore a quirky resemblance but certainly not the deshrouded variety.  We were more reverent and referred to them as West Countries or Merchant Navies, in fact I don't remember any nicknames and just used the Class names   As for the diesels, I haven't a clue what class is what especially with the early examples, probably due to not being around then.

Brian

Naughty boys' words Brian. We used to call them Rebuilts but bthat is incorrect as they were Modified Pacifics (very, very modified of course :secret: ) 

Also I never called the originals Spams. I didn't call A4s Streaks either but then that was a kindly term from those that did. In fact I was an ar$e and hardly uses nicknames for loco's, even in diesel days. I just hated the D65XX (33s) class being called Cromptons, however I quite happily used 'Peaks'. Oh dear, how sad. :rtfm:

Philth.

Dear Ducky,

With regard to your earlier query on one thread or another I am now ensconsed in the hotel reception, Sliema Malta, the only place with WiFi. Upon arrival at 2pm local it was a nice sunny day with the temprature a pleasant 15C.a big difference to the -1C at Gatport Airwick this morning.

S. Unny.

Ar$e.

Folks, I am privileged to have a load of RMW friends that have helped in so many ways with this layout. Perhaps with actual hands on and tutoring, at a distance construction(s) and diagrams/plans, information, site visits in Typhoons (not the Aircraft), canvassing locals for info and keeping me sane (ish) with chat and hilarity. It is my hope that it should not be too long before I can do 'the credits'. 

Huge thanks all.

Phil

You are fortunate to have so many well meaning help, Phil..  We should all be so lucky!

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

Agreed Brian. I suppose it might be to do with Karma as I have tried very hard to be 'helpful' in my own way with others in our hobby. However, I find that RMW creates a lot of positive stuff as well as some real ####. This includes people willing to actually give of their time, for which I am truly grateful.

Phil 

• Like 2

Dear Ducky,

S. Unny.

Even the local buses are smiling !

post-20303-0-15278400-1485289865.jpeg

Yours

M.Teaser