SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Bl##dy marvellous. Andsome trains wot might even move with trickery in a couple of years. Thanks Graham.

I be lookin at the station loops your gangmanness and it would appear that the 6 foot looks more like 7/8 foot, but 'we' can have a look at that. It is certainly wider that the spacing on the Incline from those pics we woz peering at.

A cream bun to anyone that spys an 'unusual' item in the bagging area (i.e. in the vicinity of the FP bridge). Nope, not the specs and not the 'manly' mug either.

Now, I must get a grip with getting the correct number of the correct type of points and then the approprite ##### ballast bits for them. This must be the umteenth time I've had to consider more purchases......boo!

I have noticed something, and would like to know what Graham was doing leaving something sharp where you could accidentally get hold of it.  :dontknow:  Health and safety, one must keep scalpel knives out of reach, just in case Mr Duck picks it up by the wrong end or drops it on his foot.  :rtfm: 

• RMweb Premium

Naughty boys' words Brian. We used to call them Rebuilts but bthat is incorrect as they were Modified Pacifics (very, very modified of course :secret: ) 

Also I never called the originals Spams. I didn't call A4s Streaks either but then that was a kindly term from those that did. In fact I was an ar$e and hardly uses nicknames for loco's, even in diesel days. I just hated the D65XX (33s) class being called Cromptons, however I quite happily used 'Peaks'. Oh dear, how sad. :rtfm:

Philth.

Ar$e.

Hi Ducky

Now Peaks were Cromptons, well the second 127 of them were (class 45), the first ten were Peaks (class 44) and the last 56 were Brushes (class 46). Classes 44 and 45 had Crompton electrical gear, and class 46 had Brush generator and traction motors hence their spotters names.

The SR locos were Birmingham or BRCW Type 3s, sometimes Sulzer Type 3s, or even Bo-Bo Type 3s, plus of course the Slim Jims. Never heard them called Cromptons until the 80s, and by then they were 33s.

When I worked at Marconi's we had some ex-Crompton workers who told me that they spent more time repairing traction motors returned to them by BR than they did building new stuff. Today the site of the old Crompton works is a housing estate and the old front office a doctors' surgery. Progress.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Well, today was bright, blue and brilliant. The CCE was resident for a time and lo there was trackwork laid. He has the photo's and promises to expose them later.

Somehow I stand around or faff like a big faffy thing, trying to find lost drill bits, pretending I understand what's happening, holding a spotlamp and still, track is laid to a superb standard.

Today's achievemnet from the CCE was the Down Main through the proposed station site. For those that know the 'real' Seaton Junction, this was a 80+ mph section of line, on centre through roads, with interesting curves to clear the footbridges' supports.  

I had prepared the necessary track and underlay, however I have to admit the paint job on the track was a bit iffy. Hey ho!

What happens next? I clear this area of all sorts of rubbish so as to assess the position of the two, critical points. The trailing one, on the down loop for the Branch and the trailing one on the up loop for the up yard/dairy sidings. I also prep the required track (and those points + underlay for all that) for the station loops; that includes some electrickery wire bits for the down loop point as I need that to be motorised as it will be used frequently. While I'm at it I will probably prep the yard points and Slips, (mainly just painting but with some trickery as the down yard is a 'reach' from the ops space and signals and buildings could be vulnerable.

In theory I now have up and down continuous runs/circuits. If I get a grip with power and some track twirking, I could test those circuits and trains could actually do laps so that I can see where 'adjustments' may need to be made (where stuff is falling off maybe?)

These could be exciting times and I am working hard to get my beak sorted so that activity continues.

With huge thanks to the CCE. All hail the little hammer and pin vice.

Ar$e

Get those trains moving Phil, even if it is only with some temporary wires. It will make a world of difference.

• RMweb Gold

The SR locos were Birmingham or BRCW Type 3s, sometimes Sulzer Type 3s, or even Bo-Bo Type 3s, plus of course the Slim Jims. Never heard them called Cromptons until the 80s, and by then they were 33s.

In my Control days, 1968-73, they were Cromptons. And the Hastings gauge ones were Slimlines. But I never heard a DEMU referred to as a Thumper. They were Oxteds or Hampshires.

• RMweb Premium

When I used to go on 'Shed bashes' with the Inter City Railway Society in the 70s and 80s, (why did I do this?), there was a younger generation (by about 10 years) that used all sorts of weird terms for loco's. Quite a lot of them were a bit weird too, including those who tried to 'clear' every loco available in each calender year and those that wanted to take rubbings (sniggering allowed) of nameplates. Some blokes (almost exclusively blokes on these trips) were Ok but I'm sorry to say that most were 'default stereotype gricers'. I was probably regarded as an old #### despite only being a few years their senior. By the time Sectoristaion arrived I'd lost the will to do this sort of thing any more and the railways were changing too fast for me especially as it was  mostly the same old loco's just being painted strange colours. Also, I kept tripping over my flares and having been stoned by miner's kids, somewhere in South Yorkshire in 1984, who though we were plods in plain clothes (load of blokes piling out of white Mini Bus at some Stabling Point near a pit). Suych fun.

Now look at the system! Those days were quite interesting compared to now I'm sorry to say.

Philth

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

In my Control days, 1968-73, they were Cromptons. And the Hastings gauge ones were Slimlines. But I never heard a DEMU referred to as a Thumper. They were Oxteds or Hampshires.

Definitely - D65XX were Cromptons to anybody on/near the Suffern and to men who were passed on them, including Western men.  When I first heard the term being used of one of the sub-species of 'Peaks' I was thoroughly confused - if it was Class 44/45/46 shaped it was a 'Peak' to us lot down west.

Thumpers I think was a latterday term although of course 'Tadpoles' was an almost instant name for the mixed bodyline sets on Reading - Redhill etc workings from the day they appeared.  And Bulleid pacifics seem to have been 'Bulleids' while Q1s were 'coffee pots'.

I have never heard an N Class called that before. Why is it? (interested because it is our dog's name).

Perhaps getting a bit too sucked into the whimsical nature of this delightful thread, I was deliberately mis-quoting 'mogul', which is of course its more appropriate description. I'm a north of England person so it was my way of making out that these Suffern locos are all a bit of a mystery to me. I do actually know my Merchants from my BB/WCs (and do also have a sneaking respect for them)

Great name for a dog!

Edited by LNER4479

A cream bun to anyone that spys an 'unusual' item in the bagging area (i.e. in the vicinity of the FP bridge). Nope, not the specs and not the 'manly' mug either.

Seeing as how no-one got this yesterday, here is the answer:

post-16151-0-99077800-1485356650.jpg

Frantically rummaging around for something to support the near side of the 'footbridge' for the purposes of the photograph, my eyes settled on the pile of shortbread biscuits that Mr Duck had kindly provided for my snap. So here is one of them temporarily propping up said structure.

Bit more suited to the purpose than a sausage (but just as edible).

• Like 3

Seeing as how no-one got this yesterday, here is the answer:

WP_20170124_13_53_10_Pro.jpg

Frantically rummaging around for something to support the near side of the 'footbridge' for the purposes of the photograph, my eyes settled on the pile of shortbread biscuits that Mr Duck had kindly provided for my snap. So here is one of them temporarily propping up said structure.

Bit more suited to the purpose than a sausage (but just as edible).

I think that's called 'thinking outside the box'......

ps shortbread or sausages - a difficult choice.....

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps getting a bit too sucked into the whimsical nature of this delightful thread, I was deliberately mis-quoting 'mogul', which is of course its more appropriate description. I'm a north of England person so it was my way of making out that these Suffern locos are all a bit of a mystery to me. I do actually know my Merchants from my BB/WCs (and do also have a sneaking respect for them)

Great name for a dog!

I'm sure the merchants were overjoyed to learn that you knew the difference between them and a wc.

Hat, coat - not gone, it's very soggy outside

• RMweb Gold

If it were a sausage roll would it have been sourced from our good friend the Captain (Kernow) or is that just pies and pasties?

I can neither confirm nor deny that I may or may not have supplied (or not supplied) sausage rolls (or any other item of food that is or isn't a pie or pasty) to any persons or not as the case may or may not be.

I trust that this makes the position clear.

• RMweb Gold

I can neither confirm nor deny that I may or may not have supplied (or not supplied) sausage rolls (or any other item of food that is or isn't a pie or pasty) to any persons or not as the case may or may not be.

I trust that this makes the position clear.

For you, yes.

I daren't ask about any possible house move...