SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Most of it is OK, Phil, but the smokebox door and smokebox area handrail is just awful. I have improved these in the past by replacing the handrails and also the smokebox door.

The usual source of smokebox doors for me is a turned brass product from Roxey Mouldings, onto which I would add plasticard hinges and Markits (or similar) handles.

Any idea what section they are in CK. Couldn't see them just now.

P

• RMweb Premium

Phil,

Very few prototype photos show the revised underframe arrangement on the tavern cars and all the drawings I have seen show the original gas tanks. Below is the best representation I have been able to put together using some photos and equivalent equipment being fitted to Mk1 coaches at that time.

attachicon.gifDSCF1749a.jpg

Not sure about the first class/restaurant bands on these coaches, but you never know.

They look fine models and I could not have made them for what you paid - well done!

Tony  

Thanks Tony. I only have one pic where the UF arrangement is obvious on the tank side. Other pics in standard works do not really show anything clearly and the King diagram is as you say. The info about the PG conversions is only a very short clip in the Oakwood Press (Gould) Bulleid Steam Passenger Stock  book.

yes, I think I was lucky but many people (on EBay) will just not fork out the true cost of kit built coaches.

All the best,

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Too late I missed your post on plates Narrow planet took 3 months for some taylor made plates, I'm told they are a bit on the slow side even with off the peg orders

these ordered plates are very good and they send you an email with a photo of the plates for your approval prior to shipping.

I ordered plates last week for a Castle from my usual supplier Jim at Modelmasters they turned up in 3 days, with a bit of coaxing I think he does custom plates.

To cap it all there is a set 1466 in the spares box you could have had.

• RMweb Premium

Too late I missed your post on plates Narrow planet took 3 months for some taylor made plates, I'm told they are a bit on the slow side even with off the peg orders

these ordered plates are very good and they send you an email with a photo of the plates for your approval prior to shipping.

I ordered plates last week for a Castle from my usual supplier Jim at Modelmasters they turned up in 3 days, with a bit of coaxing I think he does custom plates.

To cap it all there is a set 1466 in the spares box you could have had.

Wait is not a problem for me as it won't even get attention for at least 6 months! Has to be 1442 as there were only two at The Junction but I really appreciate your offer thanks.

P

• RMweb Premium

Wait is not a problem for me as it won't even get attention for at least 6 months! Has to be 1442 as there were only two at The Junction but I really appreciate your offer thanks.

P

1442 is listed on 247 Developments list

https://www.247developments.co.uk/ex_gwr_cabside_&_smokebox.html#14XX

• RMweb Gold

Phil - it is a fact that the more we know about a prototype, the more we concern ourselves about the fidelity of a model. So for GWR afficionados like CK, the 14xx smokebox door is unacceptable, just as you will always regret those dubious details on the Bulleid pair. How far each of us goes to right the incorrect is a personal choice, based, not least, on our modelling competence.

I admire those who go the whole hog and triumphantly show off their improved model, but having struggled in recent days to put lamps and discs on the front of my LBSCR H1 Atlantic, I am reminded of my limitations.....

• Like 2

Phil - it is a fact that the more we know about a prototype, the more we concern ourselves about the fidelity of a model. So for GWR afficionados like CK, the 14xx smokebox door is unacceptable, just as you will always regret those dubious details on the Bulleid pair. How far each of us goes to right the incorrect is a personal choice, based, not least, on our modelling competence.

I admire those who go the whole hog and triumphantly show off their improved model, but having struggled in recent days to put lamps and discs on the front of my LBSCR H1 Atlantic, I am reminded of my limitations.....

I'm with you there Ian!

• RMweb Gold

I can only agree with you, Ian.

I've seen many models that have allegedly been 'improved' by the addition of etched 'after market' parts, such as diesel grilles, only for the etched parts to be attached to the original model poorly and the overall result is worse than if the individual had left the original grille alone.

Phil - I occasionally used to ask the Roxey chap for a turned brass smokebox door at exhibitions, I'm not sure regarding his current lists, sorry.

I would have thought that there would be someone out there, somewhere, able to supply something. I'll try to have a look myself a bit later.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Ooooooh, you have an Atlantic. Green with envy about that one. Looks a beauty.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

If the Ks kit could provide a better smokebox door Phil, I have a dead one you can have for free.

That is a lovely offer. Shall I take a pic of the face of the loco and then you could decide if you think it could be a better option?

P

• RMweb Gold

If the Ks kit could provide a better smokebox door Phil, I have a dead one you can have for free.

Er, to be brutally frank, one of the reasons I obtained a turned brass one was to replace the awful cast K's one on my own loco.

Of course, they may have varied, but I somehow doubt it.

Sorry, that's just not very helpful, is it?

CTMK and I visited a sushi bar for the first time ever today and partook of some luncheon. I had a sushi 'chicken burger' and some Yo (Blair!) fries, followed by something off the conveyor belt, which the attendant later assured me was chicken as well.

I then visited Games Workshop in Cornwall Street and - as predicted - found myself to be the oldest nerd on the premises, by a fair margin.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Er, to be brutally frank, one of the reasons I obtained a turned brass one was to replace the awful cast K's one on my own loco.

Of course, they may have varied, but I somehow doubt it.

Sorry, that's just not very helpful, is it?

CTMK and I visited a sushi bar for the first time ever today and partook of some luncheon. I had a sushi 'chicken burger' and some Yo (Blair!) fries, followed by something off the conveyor belt, which the attendant later assured me was chicken as well.

I then visited Games Workshop in Cornwall Street and - as predicted - found myself to be the oldest nerd on the premises, by a fair margin.

Totally not related to SOSJ except it kept me from going in the loft, I today took a trip to the big City (Sheffield). Off on the 06.56 Two car 158(?) from P2 at 36E, taking the link loop to the Lincoln Sheffield line, but sadly in the dark! Arrival at Sheffield around 07.50 just like a commuter; train was not stuffed either. Then a bit of a hobble up to the Bus Stop in Arundel Gate for an 'interesting' trip to the outskirts on the Service 20, passing the remains of Sheffield Vic Station site en route, most passengers being young people of colour off to school and they were not behaving like many white kids I see on public transport.

About an hour and a bit later, I was on service 98 as it struggled back down to the City through the rather run down north east side, with a very varied load of locals one of whom was bellowing into a mobile phone for half the journey having a most bizarre conversation. The machine was finally declared a failure by the jolly driver, in High Street and we left the Bus before it fell to bits. Just made the 10.49 142 thing back to 36E and that was falling to bits too by the sound of it, but it did manage to reach 36E on time. Lovely weather compared to the last few days; I was lucky. Both trains had a Driver and a Guard/Conductor and that must remain the case on such services, so I support the Staff in dispute with Northern and I don't care what anybody else thinks.

It was quite weird having been to the City and yet home by 11.45!  No steam locomotives or diseasels (other than Units) were spotted and if anyone wants a load of long redundant EWS Coal Hopper Wagons then go to Worksop and take a Cutting Torch set with you.

I must get out more.

P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

CK is a better judge of these things than me. I wouldn't know Phil but it sounds like you're better off without my offer.

Soooorry Colin - don't be sad! I didn't mean to be 'orrible about your suggestion!

I just have a 'thing' about 14XX smokebox doors.

Yo!

Edited by Captain Kernow

• RMweb Premium

Phil,

Very few prototype photos show the revised underframe arrangement on the tavern cars and all the drawings I have seen show the original gas tanks. Below is the best representation I have been able to put together using some photos and equivalent equipment being fitted to Mk1 coaches at that time.

attachicon.gifDSCF1749a.jpg

Not sure about the first class/restaurant bands on these coaches, but you never know.

They look fine models and I could not have made them for what you paid - well done!

Tony  

Tony, I have located my best pic of the Rebuilt Tavern without the long gas cylinder. Southern Coaches in colour Michel Welch Published by Noodle Books 2010.  It is coach 7893.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Don't know if you're on the Facebook but I spotted this clip of bankers at work at Exexiter.

Hope this works...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/rtRealTrainspotting/permalink/2455884061092691/

Hi Stranger

Were the vehicles in the front of the train the luxury first class carriages for Plymouth by chance?

• RMweb Premium

The fourth wagon from the rear of that train (0.58), looks like a 'vanwide', but surely this is too early? Where do all the containers come from/go to?

Great clip.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

I agree it does look like a Vanwide.  I couldn't see a date on the clip, but the Pacific has no nameplate if that's a clue?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Where do all the containers come from/go to?

Peter C.

Ambrosia Creamery at Lifton had container traffic for the tinned rice and possibly the tinned custard, they use to come via the GWR line through Tavistock before the track got ripped up.