SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Don't know if you're on the Facebook but I spotted this clip of bankers at work at Exexiter.

Hope this works...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/rtRealTrainspotting/permalink/2455884061092691/

Thanks dear heart; late 1962 IIRC. I have actually seen that train and the stock is on zee list! The Luxury Wagons are going up to Exeter Central Cilve so away from Plymuff, probably headed for Exeter Gaol. :scared:  The stock is a good old variety with a load of live and fresh cut (some frozen) meat bound for the smoke no doubt. Probably this train was sorted at Yeoford, near our friend BGMan. Wagons may well have come from West of Okehampton (North Devon and Cornwall) and on the Plymouth line as well as along the Barnstable line. Yeoford was an important little goods hub back then. Not quite sure about the origin of the two Presflos?(Plymouth?)

The fourth wagon from the rear of that train (0.58), looks like a 'vanwide', but surely this is too early? Where do all the containers come from/go to?

Great clip.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

http://ww.modelrailwaywagons.co.uk/Instructions%20for%20download/Vanwide%20Instructions%20Rev2.pdf

I agree it does look like a Vanwide.  I couldn't see a date on the clip, but the Pacific has no nameplate if that's a clue?

Looks like there is no plate but it is there as you can see the Scrolls. The Exmouth Junction Foreman had asked the driver if he had the Scrolls but the Driver replied that "No, he always walked like that!" Taboom..tish. No clue to actual dates other than the Zs went in early 63and vanwides were first built in '62 (see above); replaced by Ws and then Panniers.

Mineoff Information

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

The abattoir at Halwill used containers.

One of the hidden gems of the W of E route down was the early morning Fully Fitted Vans (express) from Nine Elms to Exeter; usually 39 Vans IIRC, possibly a couple more. Large Tender Nine Elms MN was the booked loco, returning during the day on an Up ACE. The Vans were empties, or sometimes with stuff like furniture and packaged goods, and were headed for Devon and Cornwall for use on return on this very important meat traffic. The up services ran weekdays afternoon/evenings and in several trains as far as I can remember without checking my WTTs.

There wasn't a lot of goods on the SRWOEML but what there was was interesting.

P

• RMweb Gold

Could the presflows be from Delabole and full of slate dust for some other industry or had the quarry shut by 62?

Elsewhere in RMweb - links are tough to do on an iPad - a thread called North Cornwall Railway by the estimable 2manyspams includes data from 1964 indicating Delabole was still working and sending Delafilla to Tonbridge.

• RMweb Premium

Could the presflows be from Delabole and full of slate dust for some other industry or had the quarry shut by 62?

I have the Irwell Press volume The Okehampton Line and that has the sort of info that would answer that. I shall search it out later.

Also the Xpress Publishing 'Southern Region Part 2 Salisbury to Plymouth, Padstow and Ilfracombe' will have some info in but it is for a Summer Saturday. I really enjoy looking at this type of book as it fills in stuff I never realised was going on when I was a spotty spotter way back in the late 50s and early 60s.

Phil

Elsewhere in RMweb - links are tough to do on an iPad - a thread called North Cornwall Railway by the estimable 2manyspams includes data from 1964 indicating Delabole was still working and sending Delafilla to Tonbridge.

Oh that's really useful thanks Dudds.

P

• RMweb Premium

Ambrosia Creamery at Lifton had container traffic for the tinned rice and possibly the tinned custard, they use to come via the GWR line through Tavistock before the track got ripped up.

How disappointing. I had always imagined that those products were shipped out in bulk using tank wagons.

• Like 2

Negative, Caller.

Ah!

So you were spread out then ?

Sorry i didn't make it, but under the weather dear chap.

Did you manage to throw any trifle across the room ?

Flan Flinger

• RMweb Gold

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-L5444-OO-Gauge-Schools-Class-Tender-Top-Black/132867820962?_trkparms=aid%3D555017%26algo%3DPL.CASSINI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20170221124951%26meid%3Dc3e6da45d47049ef8e030b91263ebf9b%26pid%3D1

Yo Duck is this any good???.

This is some poxy website today 5 minutes to post this Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr 

Edited by 81C

• RMweb Gold

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that. Still wrong type and I think a local layout owner friend who hates DCC (think his name is punky Clive..... :sarcastichand: ) has got me one; will still need mods but there we go. 

CBA to be bothered with loco's and stuff at the mo anyway. :threaten: 

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that. Still wrong type and I think a local layout owner friend who hates DCC (think his name is punky Clive..... :sarcastichand: ) has got me one; will still need mods but there we go. 

CBA to be bothered with loco's and stuff at the mo anyway. :threaten:

Hi Phil

I found this lovely side on photo of a N class (what ever that is as all SR locos with them silly smoke deflectors look the same) showing the tender and what mods need doing to make a Skools class tender look like a N's one. Do you want me to have a go or leave it to you?

I also found a nice drawing of a snowplough made from a schools class tender, now I have done most the LNER tender conversions...........

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Phil

I found this lovely side on photo of a N class (what ever that is as all SR locos with them silly smoke deflectors look the same) showing the tender and what mods need doing to make a Skools class tender look like a N's one. Do you want me to have a go or leave it to you?

I also found a nice drawing of a snowplough made from a schools class tender, now I have done most the LNER tender conversions...........

It is actually for a U Class Clive and that is almost the same as an N but isn't. I have the drawing for a U Class tender wot I need  so we could look at doing that next year maybe? Thanks mate.

P

• RMweb Premium

It is actually for a U Class Clive and that is almost the same as an N but isn't. I have the drawing for a U Class tender wot I need  so we could look at doing that next year maybe? Thanks mate.

P

Wot like this one on the Bluebell?

I have had some nice rides behind this machine, it and the Q on the Bluebell are my favorites there. They both seem to fit the line the best when they have eight or so coaches behind them. The Spams and 9F look too big and Stepney and chums are too small.  The Skool would also might look right but I have never seen it run.

I have had some nice rides behind this machine, it and the Q on the Bluebell are my favorites there. They both seem to fit the line the best when they have eight or so coaches behind them. The Spams and 9F look too big and Stepney and chums are too small.  The Skool would also might look right but I have never seen it run.

I visited the Park much more back in the days before wife(s) kids and motorcycles, so remember Stowe thrashing, or more precisely clanking, up the line to HK

this might tease your optics!

post-10395-0-83926300-1543921667_thumb.png

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Now I am confused, G*R Halls and Saints is easier. I have a 1943 book full of loco diagrams. It has the diagram for a N, N1, U and U1 all with the tender with the sloping top, which loco is this tender for?

OK Clive, as with so many things the tender behind is a pain in the arse (see what I did there?) There were 10 Us built new (others were conversions) and 31637 is one of them and it has the tender as shown in your lovely link photo. Note the little 'step' up at the front of the frame top compared to the horizontal frame of the Schools. Other Us had tenders that were 3500 (as in the kit) and flat sided. The one I'm doing needs a 4000gal tender and some of the Baccy Ns had this type as well. That's why a Baccy N tender of that type would be best but a Schools (turned in top sides etc) would do but it would need a little surgery up front of the frame and sides; quite easy with plastic.

Easy isn't it!

At$£

A Schools operates on the NYMR and that looks stupid up there IMO.

Phil

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

No, no, no.

The best machine on the Bluebell is the Duke Doggy Dog.

post-7060-0-38258100-1543924128_thumb.jpg

• Like 3