SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

Not sure I like the idea of the Hungry Caterpiller cutting improvements plan... oh, you mean the Hungry Caterpiller cutting improvements plan, not the Hungry Caterpiller cutting improvements plan.

Phew.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm not a fan of dolce gusto or Nespresso, especially since I interviewed a chap at Nestlé and he told me what actually goes into the pods!

They also won't break down so are very environmentally unfriendly.

SWMBO recently discovered L'Or instant coffee, which I have to say is most delightful and works out at around 5 pence per cup compared to around 25 pence per cup using pods 

Hi Smithy I find it easy & simple early evening to use the thing then vacate "HER" :girldevil: domain pronto she gets the @rse if I'm in there when see wants to get on, I tried

my luck today to make a normal instant coffee all I got was a flee in the ear I suppose I could bring it up to the man cave but then there would be complaints about dirty

glasses left in the cave so it's a no win situation. :blackeye:

Yours Wellend Trully-Scrooed 

• RMweb Gold

I have to say I am a coffee monster but have recently rediscovered the nice cup of tea.

Awfully pleasant.

Rob

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Phil for an entertaining day rearranging the geography of East Devon; spicy soup and biccies too!  I hope what we discussed and mocked up with bits of wood etc. was useful and look forward to seeing the piccies!

Never mind the DIY coffee suggestions; get on down to Costa Coffee on 36E station for hallucinogenic refreshments - Class 67 hauling maroon Mk1s, who'd believe THAT on a layout??

Hi Steve have you not seen ********* club's layout. The best was when chairman's Tri-ang Rocket zoomed round with a nuclear flask instead of a tender, wonderful. 

****** their name has been censored so I don't get an invite to their show,,,,,,,,,,,, again.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Not sure I like the idea of the Hungry Caterpiller cutting improvements plan... oh, you mean the Hungry Caterpiller cutting improvements plan, not the Hungry Caterpiller cutting improvements plan.

Phew.

Absolutely. It also all happens in the dark as well so you can't see the carnage, so keep calm dear heart.

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm not a fan of dolce gusto or Nespresso, especially since I interviewed a chap at Nestlé and he told me what actually goes into the pods!

They also won't break down so are very environmentally unfriendly.

SWMBO recently discovered L'Or instant coffee, which I have to say is most delightful and works out at around 5 pence per cup compared to around 25 pence per cup using pods

Exe Coffee Roasters.

What do the exe coffee roasters do now?

There's nothing hard about making good coffee. Real whole beans a fifteen quid grinder and a french press get the job done in no time. Also you can get coffee bags which make a decent cup of proper coffee in no time. They are quit dear though, I only use them at work to avoid keeping the other equipment there.

• RMweb Gold

There is a company making logs out of them for woodburners. Don't know if they smell of coffee when they burn. They can also go into food waste bins and you can put them in your home compost. Modelling uses perhaps cinder paths for espresso ground (fine) grounds?

There must be a use for old coffee grounds (dried)? Maybe wagonload ore?

Ar$£

The other half had them recommended as slug protection for plants. Don't think it really worked though, as they rot down/soak into the soil really quickly. But the caffeine-enhanced runner beans nearly caught Usain Bolt in the 100m.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There is a company making logs out of them for woodburners. Don't know if they smell of coffee when they burn. They can also go into food waste bins and you can put them in your home compost. Modelling uses perhaps cinder paths for espresso ground (fine) grounds?

If we happen to have any of those grounds, SWMBO puts it in the Allotty Compost. She also gets loads at Idle Valley's Café for the Charity gardening project she volunteers for on the site.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Here is today's news. Curate's egg day!

I decided that I would start the planned improvements with the refitting of the Branch 'loop' and area and so enjoyed dismantling stuff after taking the 'now' photo's that will become the 'then' photo's when the new now is finished. :fie: 

That will probably be next year after today's efforts. First off I couldn't find my Tracksettas. Of course I found them at the end of the afternoon, not too late but almost. Then there was the existing point motor rig up drive to the Branch to Down Yard point that Red Leader kindly spent a long time fiddling with before Christmas. The wire in tube fittings failed after refitting the point (because the droppers had fallen off when I lifted it out of the way and I had to resolder them)! My apologiesd to RL but in a way this was a blessing in disguise as he will find out when he next has the  kindness to visit. The bright side of this is that I am pinching a point driver idea from some of Peterborough North's fiddle yard point drives, and that still allows underboard fitting of the motor (as was) but with a rigid drive rather than wire, using a length of Paxolin sleeper material. I mde the bits and it works with fingerpokin at the moment. I'll take a pic sometime to explain, but not yet as here comes the WTF moment. That is because, when I had eventually refitted the point after refurbishment and having carefully noted previously where the droppers went on the point motor (not yet fitted underboard but operational) before rewiring up and testing with my M7, there was a big 2+ Amp short on the point and I think I've fried the M7 Chip that stopped dead on the point (but no blue smoke or funny smell)...…..bu##er. At the moment I just can not fathom why there is a short and a couple of dead areas of track and I was too tired at the end of the afternoon to be bothered :threaten: . I might just change the point and the immediately adjoining trackwork to the Double Slip as that section has never really worked 100% successfully.....but not just yet. :angry:  :ireful:  :crazy:  :lazy:

I shall revisit the problem tomorrow morning before going to see Flying Scotsman at Botany Bay Crossing about 12.20.

One good thing though is that I am sure the new Branchline off scene arrangement, linking to the Down Main/Fiddley Yard, will be a far better arrangement than what I had there until this morning. Another is that when I found the Tracksettas I also rediscovered some redundant and spare points. They may not be useful anywhere but I might sell them on for a few Duckets (see what I did there?)

That's all folks.

Ar$£

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh dear Phil, sorry to hear of your tribulations today; sometimes what seems simple can lead to more complications than you could ever have expected!  I can't imagine what could have caused the short circuit or fried the chips but hope there is a simple solution.  Good to hear you still think the alterations we discussed yesterday are the way forward!

• RMweb Premium

Good morning. Not been up the Junction yet, however if the point is causing a short and almost all around it appears to be OK, then it just has to be the point at fault, well at least that is what my sleeping brain cell was telling me during the night. I don't mind trying to sort things like this but not when it fries Decoders at £20+ a pop.

Snap first, timetable for Scotsman check second, loft third.

Photo's much later followed by loads of swearing I'm sure. Such fun.

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There must be a use for old coffee grounds (dried)? Maybe wagonload ore?

Ar$£

Ballast. Skool model railway used loads of it. This would be early/mid-60s. And a leading American modeller, Chuck Hitchcock, had a friend doing scenic effects for him, who used coffee essence to get the required shades - he said the layout always smelled nice!
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ballast. Skool model railway used loads of it. This would be early/mid-60s. And a leading American modeller, Chuck Hitchcock, had a friend doing scenic effects for him, who used coffee essence to get the required shades - he said the layout always smelled nice!

Our school model railway used millet seed for ballast - until the mice ate it.